11 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

The Humane Society will be holding a Microchip clinic for cats and dogs.

The cost will be $20 per animal. If your animal is lost and brought into the humane society or a vet clinic, the microchip can be read and you will be notified that your cat or dog has been found.

Registration will start at 9am and the clinic will run from 10am-1pm.

For more information please contact the Humane Society at 519-966-5751

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

cool ty posting

#3 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

What's the date of it? (if it was in the second title it doesn't show up on my phone)

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:33 PM

October 20th!

#5 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Awesome!

#6 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:18 PM

Isn't it supposed to be painful for them? We were advised to have it done while they are under sedation during their spay/neuter. I was told the needle they use is quite big.

#7 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 01:16 PM

IMO its less painful than being orphaned if they got out somehow.

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

My vet compared it to having lood taken. A quick pinch, a little pressure and its done. A little pinch is worth the piece of mind of knowing your pet can quickly find its way home if lost.

#9 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

Microchips are so small, and the needle isn't any bigger than one that takes blood out.

But I don't find that price to be a "special".

#10 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:27 PM

Glad to know it's not too painful for them. The $20 is the Humane Society's regular price for a microchip. I called them about a month ago looking for prices for both that and a spay. But it's still far cheaper than any other vet in Windsor/Essex County.

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Glad to know it's not too painful for them. The $20 is the Humane Society's regular price for a microchip. I called them about a month ago looking for prices for both that and a spay. But it's still far cheaper than any other vet in Windsor/Essex County.

My vet is 30, and that's with my own vet, and not the random one at the HS.

ETA: I have beef with them after getting my dog there years ago, could be why I wouldn't go there for anything medical, no matter how cheap.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 04 October 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#12 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Some pets seem to react more to the needle but, most don't. It is a bigger needle than when they take your blood. A little larger than the one used when you give blood. The good news it 1) pets do not feel/show pain the same as humans. 2) where the microchip is implanted is one of the least sensitive areas on the body.

The reason most vets suggest doing it under anesthetic is because then it is guaranteed to not hurt them. Since all pets should go under anesthetic to be spayed/neutered, this provides an ideal time to do it.

I do all my dogs at 6 weeks old at home. I've never had a problem. The pups scream but, that is more from being held still for 30seconds than anything else lol. I have seen many, many dogs not even realize a microchip needle has been inserted. I have seen some though who would freaked out totally and then we always had a hard time with them after. If you are going to do your dog, especially an older dog, awake, the HS may be a good place to have it done so that if they do react badly they don't associate it with their regular vet!

I just hope they do a good job. I've had animals from the HS in the clinic I worked at with 2 chips, with the wrong # on the paperwork (which means they mixed up 2 at least!) and with no chip. If you go ask them to scan your pet before and after the implantation. Ask to see the # on the scanner and make sure it corresponds to the # on your paperwork!

I believe 110% in micro-chipping! Quick story (sad but, effective). One day I got to the clinic to find a cat, in a box at the door. The cat was dead. We decided to do what we do with all strays and scan for a microchip. He had on! We called the chip company and got in touch with the owner. She came to claim her beloved pet. He had been missing for about 2 weeks. She was very upset he was dead but, extremely happy that she had some closure. She was able to say goodbye and have him cremated. Without that chip she would never have known what happened to her cat.