4 replies to this topic

#1 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:26 AM

Anyone have kids that have jobs? Any tips on how to work their schedule around your schedule, around school, around meal times, around using the car, around vacations, etc etc etc!!!!

:friends

#2 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

My 15 y/o is wanting to get a job, but I am lucky in that I don't work outside the home anymore. So I will probably be the taxi for him to go to and from work.

As for the scheduling, my g/f had 6 boys ~ twin, single, single, twin ~ so there was a lot going on in her house. She had a huge dry eraser calendar and a different color for each kid. The day the schedules for sports came out, they went on the board. Same with work schedules. Then if there was a conflict the kids were responsible to get on the phone to work out rides with friends. Since she had been in the leagues for years with pretty much the same parents, there was a huge carpooling community there, so that was easy. But for the work schedules, that was a little different as she also did not work outside the house, but she had xx other kids to be concerned with. It was the rule that the work hours were agreed upon before starting the job, especially if they were still in school. That the Manager at work would need to understand that those were the only hours that could be worked. The jobs were usually fast food or convenience stores like CVS or Walmart, so that made the scheduling easy.

I will definitely be watching your thread to see what others have to offer ....

#3 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

My 18 year old dd has a job and goes to univeristy. But sometimes we have to rely on grandparents for rides for her when we are busy with hockey with the boys and our own jobs etc. I try to have quick meal ideas for her if she has to eat early or late. Its not easy, but we make it work.....it can be chaos somedays though.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

I worked. I took the bus or walked to work though. Family vacations...If I could get the time off I did. If not I stayed with family while my family went away.

With my ODS we relied on family to drive him if we were not available.

Since we didn't live near a bus route he also would ride his bike (20min) to the bus stop if it came down to no ride for him to get somewhere.

Meal times....eat when you can. I always made sure there was food left for him if he had to eat after us. I also made sure he could fix simple "meals" (KD, hot dogs, sandwiches that sort of thing) so he could eat when he needed/wanted to.

I did find it more difficult living in LA to visualize my ODS having a job and working around our schedules than when I was growing up, living in London. I knew it would be more challenging to get him to and from work, especially with the job market being what it is and there being so fewer jobs for teens!

#5 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

My son takes the bus when possible. We live in LaSalle and he works near Silver City. Buses do not come to LaSalle on Sunday and at 10 p.m. He buses to St. Clair too. On nights like tonight, he takes may car, he works until 11. He was cabbing home some nights when he did not have his licence and worked until 2 am on the weekend. But that was $25 a shot. He has enough saved for a car, but the insurance is absurd to have his own car.

We usually work it out, or he will bus to his dads and stay there if there is no other way.