25 replies to this topic

#1 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

My DH brought home a 4 week old kitten that he found under a trailer at work back in May - Shes WAS adorable, now a monster. Well she's now 6 months old and time to get her fixed in the hopes of calming her down, and stop the peeing all over my house! She beats the crap outta my 8 year old cat, and can be vicious to me and the kids (she LOVES DH)

I've NEVER had a cat this bad before, so I don't want to spend a fortune fixing her and am truly hoping this calms her, but if it doesn't...?

I don't know what I'm gonna do???

#2 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

The HS will be the cheapest place to get her done I believe.

#3 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Aren't there vouchers only for low income families? I don't think I would qualify? I 'll look into it

Thanks

#4 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:18 AM

Call the Leamington Animal Hospital. If you know someone from Leamington, pretend it's their cat. lol It's by far the cheapest place I've called. Under $300 for declaw and neuter with a 2 nite stay. I can't imagine it would be too much more for a spay.

#5 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

Call the Leamington Animal Hospital. If you know someone from Leamington, pretend it's their cat. lol It's by far the cheapest place I've called. Under $300 for declaw and neuter with a 2 nite stay. I can't imagine it would be too much more for a spay.

DH works in Leamington- that where he found the damn cat - Thanks - gonna call now!

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

humane society is $75 for fixing but they won't declaw. My Vet Malden Rd vet hosp will do a fixing and declaw for around $300 I believe

#7 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Aren't there vouchers only for low income families? I don't think I would qualify? I 'll look into it

Thanks

You do not need vouchers. It's open for everyone. I took my female cat there back in February and it was 75$ I believe? They don't keep them overnight either.

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:31 PM

HS clinic is $75 female and $50 male. You can add vaccination for $15-$20. Both Cabana @ Howard and Dougall Animal Hospital where matching the s $75 price ths summer. You would have to call to see if they still where. Dougall is likely going to be your most economical option if you dont want to use the HS clinic.

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

From what I've heard Dougall is the cheapest cut-rate clinic in the city.

#10 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

HS is the cheapest & their care is pretty good.
We ended up qualifying for the vouchers [but im not really sure how] and got 2 females done for $40 and it cost about $112 full price.

#11 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

I would be more concerned with pain control then the cheapest price...

JMO

#12 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

I would be more concerned with pain control then the cheapest price...

JMO

Of course I'm concerned with pain control - I'm not a sadist. But my last cat I took to Brock Vet Hospital and they they charged me $454.00! Not interested in paying that kind of price again. I've asked and EVERY clinic gives pain meds for the pets.

It was a nice jab though- well played..

#13 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Of COURSE every place gives pain meds. That's ridiculous to even say anything about pain control. Do you think that a vet would even be allowed to be in business if they didn't?? wtf.

Lynda, who did you go with?

#14 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

I don't think it is a jab. I am glad you specifically asked about pain meds. A lot of people don't and a lot of the "cut rate" clinics will have a bunch of add ons they don't tell you about (like pain meds to go home)on the phone to get you in the door. Then your bill is a lot more when you go to pick up your pet.

My ex's GF just had a cat spayed and declawed at Dougall. He still has no vet techs working for him, just his self and his wife. Since he has no staff let alone qualified staff he can afford to charge less. From what my ex said his basic "get you in the door" prices are the cheapest around.

Edited by Trea, 11 October 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#15 Kindermom

Kindermom

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

I've been hearing really great things about the HS spay and neuter clinic. I know there are always going to be people that are unhappy for one reason or another but it seems that most who have had their pets fixed there recently have been really satisfied. OP I would probably look into that option more before making a decision.

#16 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

I would only assume pain meds to take home would be extra? It's like that for us, why would it not be for animals?

#17 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Of COURSE every place gives pain meds. That's ridiculous to even say anything about pain control. Do you think that a vet would even be allowed to be in business if they didn't?? wtf.

Thank you Mrs Divine

I called a couple of places, Ambassador was good- $169.00, but it turns out anyone can use the Humane Society $75.00, so I'm gonna use them and give an extra $25.00 for a donation to the program.

I'm not trying to "cheap out' on the cat, just found the $454 that Brock charged to be ridiculous.

#18 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just a heads up, My mom got her cat spayed at the HS, and it was $85! The extra $10 was for a spray to keep her from licking the incision. No problems at all! She also got a couple shots too, and I think it was $15 for those also.

Edited by amandae, 11 October 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#19 LyndaSoo41

LyndaSoo41

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Just a heads up, My mom got her cat spayed at the HS, and it was $85! The extra $10 was for a spray to keep her from licking the incision. No problems at all!

Thanks- yes they mentioned that on the phone. I may spray my sofa with it - maybe she'll stop tearing it apart! lol

#20 amandae

amandae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Just a heads up, My mom got her cat spayed at the HS, and it was $85! The extra $10 was for a spray to keep her from licking the incision. No problems at all!

Thanks- yes they mentioned that on the phone. I may spray my sofa with it - maybe she'll stop tearing it apart! lol

LOL...not sure if that would work as it's meant to TASTE bitter!!

#21 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

wtf ??

IT WAS NOT A F'KING JAB, SOME PLACES DO NOT SEND HOME PAIN MEDS !!!! Take a pill holly Chris,t talk about lighting the fuse on tampons.............

But lets keep the momentum going shoot first then ask questions !

#22 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:18 AM

Gawd. You're such a drama queen. Relax.

#23 ~Tracy~

~Tracy~

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

odd but ok..... your the one who flipped out and yet I am the drama queen ok. Have a wonderful day !!

call around like I did maybe you will see why I said what i did.

#24 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

:)

#25 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

It is true, more than some places do not automatically send home pain meds. The last place I worked we didn't force the issues unless it seemed the pet was in pain. We left it up to the client, who knows their pet best, to call us if they felt the pet needed it if they didn't take it home at the time of discharge. Most young pets actually don't "need" it. Pets feel pain differently than humans do. Not that they don't feel pain, it is just different. I have rarely given pain meds after surgery to any of mine who have had a spay/neuter done. Even when I've had to do c-sections I don't give pain meds unless the dog seems uncomfortable.

Even with a declaw (which is amputating the end of the toe to the first knuckle) young cats, under around 6 months, just don't seem to feel pain in it as of even the next day. My own cat was jumping from the counters the day after his declaw with no visible discomfort.

When we started offering a 3 day supply of metacam to go home with surgeries we had about 70% of people say yes, and another about 5% come back the next day instead. That leave 25% if people who felt their pet did require post-op pain meds. And, I'd say the majority of people who did decide on taking the meds only gave 1 or 2 days. Some didn't give it at all

The only time we pushed the issue of pain meds TGH was for older cat declaws. If the pet was over 1yr old we said they would need the pain relief even then some owners declined it or asked if they could come back if they felt the cat needed it.

ETA...now pain relief at the time of surgery is almost always given.

Edited by Trea, 12 October 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#26 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

I've been hearing really great things about the HS spay and neuter clinic. I know there are always going to be people that are unhappy for one reason or another but it seems that most who have had their pets fixed there recently have been really satisfied. OP I would probably look into that option more before making a decision.

Thank you Mrs Divine

I called a couple of places, Ambassador was good- $169.00, but it turns out anyone can use the Humane Society $75.00, so I'm gonna use them and give an extra $25.00 for a donation to the program.

I'm not trying to "cheap out' on the cat, just found the $454 that Brock charged to be ridiculous.

Just a heads up, My mom got her cat spayed at the HS, and it was $85! The extra $10 was for a spray to keep her from licking the incision. No problems at all! She also got a couple shots too, and I think it was $15 for those also.

My females were sent home all doped up on pain meds. We had purchased extra from when my male was done a few months prior and was advised to not to give it to them because they were already covered for the next day and probably wouldnt need it but if we saw them acting different to call and ask about additional meds.
We never had to, they were back to normal in 2 days.

You can decline the Bitter spray. We did. I have a huge bottle of it and 4 cats that don't mind the taste so it was useless. We just said we didnt want it and weren't charged for it.

I checked several places before i took my male in. Brock, Clear Water, down town Animal hospital wanted and arm and a f***ing leg to just neuter my cat.
One over them wanted nearly $700 and all i asked about was an exam, neuter & front declaw! It was bloody outrageous for such a routine surgery.