Photo

halloween costumes

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: halloween costumes

store bought or home-made costume

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Maybe i'm a halloween scrooge but i think this night is way out of control. After looking at costumes in several stores, i am shocked at the prices nowadays. Why would anyone buy a $30. and up costume to go door to door to get treats that would cost the same or less?
What happened to the fun in making your own at no cost?

#2 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

My kids wear their hallowe'en costumes after hallowe'en as dress up. So I don't mind paying.

#3 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

over the yrs we got them handed down to us, we use them yr aroud in our play room
we still have a sprider-man one we got from walmart for sam 4yrs ago
isaac like to wear his to daycare at my gym, they often have a few kids that do, its not hurting anyone or them self why say no :)

#4 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

I can't justify the cost of a costume, even if its for play later. This yr my son (7 yrs old) asked to be Mario, and after looking at the costumes at Walmart, Zellers, and the new and used costumes at Valu Village, it was still beyond my budget. Instead, I just found overalls and a red sweater in the boys department, then purchased a mustache at Valu Village. Then we found dh's red hat at home, and voila, Mario. Cost me less then $10, and he can rewear these clothes in public too, not just for play.
Last yr I found his old Jiu Jitsu uniform and painted a black mask on his face, he told everyone he was a secret spy ninja.
At 5 yrs, the only thing I purchased was a batman mask, I was given a cape from my cousin and he wore black pants and sweater that I found at Valu Village.

Being on a tight budget, Halloween costumes are not in our budget and I would rather reuse/purchase clothes that they can wear for everyday use afterwards, or receive hand me-downs from cousins who no longer fit into their old costumes. This makes more sense for my family, and is A LOT better on our limited income.

#5 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

I find that by the time I buy the materials to make my own I'm almost better off buying a kit. I do like to have a lot of accessories and makeup, and those can be used for years in many ways.

#6 justsamma

justsamma

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 972 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

I paid well over $70 for mine last year. =/ In fact, my entire group of friends did.
This year I think I've paid about $50 into make up, which i will reuse as it isnt just costume make up.
Its the $40 baby ones i don't get. I scooped up a Old Navy cupcake one for $12 & its cute as heck.

#7 TecMommY

TecMommY

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

I scored a beautiful Disney Belle princess dress for 10 bucks at the mom2mom sale. It was brand new looking. I was a very happy mommy that day!

#8 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

My kids wear their hallowe'en costumes after hallowe'en as dress up. So I don't mind paying.

This exactly! I think I paid about 40 with a wig and makeup. But she wears them constantly around the house after halloween.

Besides, I am not creative at all, so it would look terrible if I tried to make one.

#9 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

and sometimes I don't have the time to get creative. I'm in school, babysitting and I'm a single mother of 3 kids.

#10 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Since my mom always made our costumes as a kid but I am not a sewer and would not pay $20 for a costume, let alone $30, I have looked on kijiji and sales way ahead of time when I see them, also have borrowed some. Got one at CPlace for $5 one year and last year stocked up at the after-Halloween sales at WalMart on a variety of princesses and witches and other things I figure could be used for Halloween and/or dress up. I bought some on sale at Chapters too, a bit pricier for $10 but a good quality fire fighter one. Hopefully my kids will wear them when it comes time for Halloween; they'll have lots to choose from depending on sizes. We also still have the ones my mom made us my sister and I so look forward to DD wearing the Strawberry Shortcake, etc. If I have to buy new ones in the future, hope can sell the smaller ones if they aren't ratty from dress up.

#11 Ellivort

Ellivort

Proud Mommy of a Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I wouldn't pay more than 30$ now that she isn't a baby (i used to buy the fuzzy old navy costumes, those were pricey), but I'm happy to pay as it's once a year and something we expect to buy. There were many nifty witch costumes with light up skirts and they were really cute, but I didn't feel we needed to pay 40$ when one just as cute was only 25$. Walmart had a pretty decent selection of <30$ costumes. They even had a few standard costumes (witch, skeleton etc) for <10$.

Ultimately, we shouldn't judge what people spend. Altho I felt it wasn't necessary to spend 40$ doesn't mean someone else shouldn't or that I won't next year.

Everyone has to do what is right for their budget. I'm creative, but not crafy at all. I'd love to be able to make awesome and unique homemade costumes!

#12 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:18 PM

We got costumes at Kmart half price last night. $15 and 17.50 for an adult one.

#13 swimmingdolphin

swimmingdolphin

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

where is Kmart?>

#14 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:00 PM

I usually go to Old Navy after Halloween and buy for next year. I get costumes priced $2-$10 usually. Can't beat it.

#15 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:28 AM

Old Navy has several sales + coupons that allow shoppers to pick up a good quality costume for under $15 if they time it right and then like Jen said, they mark them way down after halloween. I also love Winners and Home Sense. They always put their costumes on sale the weekend before halloween so I scored two costumes for dd for under $20 today :) I refuse to buy at Walmart, Loblaws (25% off today), Value Village or the party stores. Just too expensive and crappy quality IMO.

#16 crayons

crayons

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

ha, try buy costumes for older kids. Your looking at 50 dollars, its crazy. I try and get to the after after after halloween sale lol, when costumes are a couple of dollars. But this year I made the costumes, so one costume cost me 10 dollars and the other one 5 dollars, but I sewed both of them.

#17 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

I try not to pay that much. but, in answer to your question. It is not about the cost vs the candy collected. It is about the child enjoying the day. You could just go buy candy for the kids to save money but, they would not be allowed to enjoy the holiday. (and yes, my children know the origins of Halloween and trick-or-treat)

#18 mysticmom

mysticmom

Been here since the beginning of m2m

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

Kmart is in the states. So after Halloween they are 75% off. I usually get them then.

#19 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

I actually don't pay full price for anything so rather I would buy a 30 dollar costume but not full price.

#20 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

last yr i got the kids at vv in june/may, big saving on good customers for cold night :)
they played dress up in them through out the summer :)

#21 swimmingdolphin

swimmingdolphin

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I went to vv/walmart to get my daughter izzy costume pink top($4), purple pants($4), red boots($3.99), telescope(1.29), red banada (I could find pink) but it has skulls(0.99), i am going to make pizie dust. So I paid $14 for the whole thing instead of $35

#22 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

I dont really worry to much about the price. My kids use their costumes all year long. Ds plays ninja outside and DD loves her princess costume for dress up. Many time I take Belle or Snow White out grocery shopping lol

#23 joeyjoey

joeyjoey

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I agree about the homemade costumes --- they are the BEST !!! We now have the money to afford paying more for a costume, but I won't do it.

We found a super fireman's costume at Winner's yesterday for $10 :) All of their costumes are already 50% off.

They had GORGEOUS velvet princess dresses for older girls at just $15 a piece. The quality of them was spectacular - there is no way you could make them for that price. Just thought I'd give a heads up in case anyone is still looking.

I was apalled to see that Value Village's new costumes STARTED at around $30, and went up to $90 !!!! That's just crazy! I was ommenting today that it seems like all the holidays get pushed to be bigger & bigger every year.

#24 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:22 PM

I don't mind paying $30, he definitely gets his use out of it. Exciting night out + play costume for the rest of the year = $30, to me. I guess I've never thought of $30 as being that much. That's like the price of eating take out for one meal, the price of a new movie on DVD, a decent toy, or shirt for hubby or me. I guess I see it as, DS is having a good time, so it's worth it. It's not just the price of the costume to me.
But for those that think its too expensive and don't have a budget for it, no offense intended, but that's just not something I'll ever understand. There's no way you didn't even see it coming, it happens every single year on the same day, how on earth is $30 hard to budget for over a year? I understand if you have like 6 kids, that can get expensive. but hmm'ing and hawing over one costume is silly. How is it easier to say "sorry kiddo, too expensive you'll have to wear this paperbag with the word 'spider-man' written on it" rather than putting aside a couple bucks at a time over a year. If you've been to Walmart in the past 4 years near Halloween, the costumes have been pretty much the same price every year.
That being said though, I AM a fan of homemade halloween costumes, the more creative the better, so it's not about consumerism to me. It's about kids loving the holiday and having a great time. As a parent, you should be doing what you can to make it awesome, and theres no good reason not to. If you get all cheap and bahumbuggy, you ruin it and that's not fair.

#25 Guest_rjblankets_*

Guest_rjblankets_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

But for those that think its too expensive and don't have a budget for it, no offense intended, but that's just not something I'll ever understand. There's no way you didn't even see it coming, it happens every single year on the same day, how on earth is $30 hard to budget for over a year? I understand if you have like 6 kids, that can get expensive. but hmm'ing and hawing over one costume is silly. How is it easier to say "sorry kiddo, too expensive you'll have to wear this paperbag with the word 'spider-man' written on it" rather than putting aside a couple bucks at a time over a year. If you've been to Walmart in the past 4 years near Halloween, the costumes have been pretty much the same price every year.
That being said though, I AM a fan of homemade halloween costumes, the more creative the better, so it's not about consumerism to me. It's about kids loving the holiday and having a great time. As a parent, you should be doing what you can to make it awesome, and theres no good reason not to. If you get all cheap and bahumbuggy, you ruin it and that's not fair.

$30 may not be hard to budget for but paying $30 for a cheaply made costume that may not even be touched afterwards is an unneccesarry expense IMO. I don't spend $30 in clothes a month on my family of 4, nor do we spend $30 on take-out (which happens very rarely throughout a month). My children are still able to have a great time with a costume they created themselves (as I remember A LOT of us doing as children ourselves - you may remember friends who cut up a card board box and went out as presents or dice), a home-made costume with siblings/relatives clothing and make-up, or even a hand-me-down costume without needing one that costs money. To associate a child's happiness with the cost of an item is a little obsurd to be honest. In some situations its better to teach the child that you can have just as much fun with the "paperbag with the word spiderman written on it" (which is a rediculous assumption that parents like myself who NEED to live on a very tight budget would say to our children) as you would with the $30 costume.
After reading through everyones posts again, I don't remember seeing anyone "bahumbuggy" about Halloween or about their child having a great time trick or treating. Many children don't care about the cost of a costume or even where it came from, all they truely care about is how much candy they can get (which is true for the older child 4+ yrs), so their parents "cheapness" will not "ruin it" or make Halloween "unfair" to them.

Edited by rjblankets, 29 October 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#26 unicycle_mike

unicycle_mike

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

$30 may not be hard to budget for but paying $30 for a cheaply made costume that may not even be touched afterwards is an unneccesarry expense IMO. I don't spend $30 in clothes a month on my family of 4, nor do we spend $30 on take-out (which happens very rarely throughout a month). My children are still able to have a great time with a costume they created themselves (as I remember A LOT of us doing as children ourselves - you may remember friends who cut up a card board box and went out as presents or dice), a home-made costume with siblings/relatives clothing and make-up, or even a hand-me-down costume without needing one that costs money. To associate a child's happiness with the cost of an item is a little obsurd to be honest. In some situations its better to teach the child that you can have just as much fun with the "paperbag with the word spiderman written on it" (which is a rediculous assumption that parents like myself who NEED to live on a very tight budget would say to our children) as you would with the $30 costume.
After reading through everyones posts again, I don't remember seeing anyone "bahumbuggy" about Halloween or about their child having a great time trick or treating. Many children don't care about the cost of a costume or even where it came from, all they truely care about is how much candy they can get (which is true for the older child 4+ yrs), so their parents "cheapness" will not "ruin it" or make Halloween "unfair" to them.

I did say that homemade is great, I'd absolutely say its better in most cases I have nothing against that. But to not be able to justify $30 (whether homemade or bought) for one day's use is pretty ridiculous, IMO. And the first post mentioned being a Scrooge. ;)

#27 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

My kids usually have a store-bought costume, but sometimes it's purchased used and quite often they use a costume for more than one year. I don't like to spend $20-30 on something they typically only wear one night. There have been more generic costumes like a pirate or a princess, etc. that they use after Halloween, and ds had a Stitch costume that he loved and a few plushy animal ones, but I don't buy a new costume for my kids every year.

#28 TM3

TM3

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,658 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

sometimes we do home made (one year we were a blt lol me and don were bread and bacon and the kids lettus and tomatoe) and then some years we buy them (star wars or one year bella was a kangaroo lol) we don't mind to much paying extra for them if there well made and the kids use them all the time!! some ppl don't make halloween as big a deal as other ppl do. We really do it up some years! i know some that do halloween bigger then christmas. is all a matter of what what you like :)