13 replies to this topic

#1 rwf05

rwf05

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

Has anyone who has ever flown domestic flights in the states ever been given a hassel about a child not having a passport, wondering if I should get one for my daughter just in case

#2 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:08 PM

no

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Domestic flights do not need passport.

#4 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

Oh really? What do you need for them if you're going Detroit-Florida?

#5 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

if you are flying from Detroit to Mexico you do.

#6 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

we just flew to orlando and back- and they asked for them at security- ( my girls are 7 and 11)
we ran into this last time we went as well- some said no we didn't need them but were requested at the time of flight.
also when we booked our flights we needed to give full names/ date of births and passport Numbers for each travelling person.
( we already had passports for everyone so we didn't question it)

#7 jag

jag

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,065 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I did notneed them at time of booking but my kids are US citizens so maybe that makes a difference. I also book everything myself online--I don't go through a travel agent or anything like that. I only had to show their birth certificates. It's their form of ID and proves you are their parent. But honestly I think it is easier to have them then not at this point!

#8 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I would think as a Canadian you should have them just in case.

#9 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

When we went to disney last year we flew detroit to flordia and our travel agent said we needed passports at the time of booking. I belive kids need them for air travel now for out of country, just land crossings do not require the passport.

#10 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Since the flight is techincally a US Domestic flight, you will have already cleared customs at the border when driving over. You dont need passports yet for land crossings so you technically would not need them. But - my experience has been that when flying, the airlines seem to more and more be asking for photo ID's. I personally would travel with passports anyways, needed or not -- just believe its safer to do so.

#11 Stepmomof2

Stepmomof2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

We just flew from detroit to orlando two weeks ago and were never asked for ID for either of the kids ages 7 and 9, I believe its up to the individual airlin, we flew delta. We flew spirit a year ago and never needed it then either.

#12 Kiana

Kiana

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

I'm a TA... You don't require a passport for domestic flights. You will have to provide DOB only. It is best to have them for the kids but not necessary. That said each airline likes to play by their own rules and they can make things difficult.

#13 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

I'm a TA... You don't require a passport for domestic flights. You will have to provide DOB only. It is best to have them for the kids but not necessary. That said each airline likes to play by their own rules and they can make things difficult.

ITA with the airlines making up rules from what I've seen in other responses to this thread.

If it was me, I'd get the kids' passports anyway. Having photo ID is always a good idea when traveling. And it's not like it adds that much to the cost of a vacation.

#14 bcnap

bcnap

if the 3rd doesnt kill you it makes you stronger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think its just easier having them no matter where we travel, just have to keep checking on EXP, since my kids when I got them had diff exp dates, which i think my youngest needs coming up in jan.