6 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I have worked more than one job at a time in the past. For about 8 months I worked at 2 vet clinics plus did my pet sitting. It was hard because I worked 20hrs a week at one job then 16-24 at the other and at least 2hrs a day pet sitting. Now I am going to try it again. So far I have 16ish hours a week at TSC. I got a job at Micheal's also for 4-16hrs a week. Here's hoping I can learn 2 new jobs at one time. I've been honest with the manager at Micheal's. She hired me with "open availability", before I got the job at TSC but, with the small number of hours I needed to find something else. So I called her today to tell her I still wanted the job but, my job at TSC would have to be worked around. She has no problem with that. I also told her I wasn't sure I'd actually be able to work 2 new jobs at once. That I was willing to try but, didn't want to waste her time or resources. I think she appreciated that and said she would be willing to give me a try anyway.

Oh, and as a bonus added to learning 2 different jobs, I am coming down with a cold! Nobody is at their best with a cold LOL.

Who has worked 2 jobs? How did it work out for you?

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

I did it forever and was fine. Just make sure you have really comfortable shoes and get lots of rest if you are taking on lots of hours. I was pulling 60+ work weeks for a while and felt like death due to lack of proper sleep. Im sure you will be fine with the learning part, Both are retail so its similar in that respect and you will find that product knowledge comes really fast, especially if you get a chance to do stock or merchandising.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

I have not worked 2 jobs but I have worked and gone to school at the same time. My only advice is to make sure youd ont forget to take care of yourself. There were times that i would forget to eat or get enough sleep between going to school, working,homework and kids

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 PM

I worked 2 jobs when I first graduated college, to the tune of 90+ hrs a week. Lasted 6 months before I lost it due to exhaustion and quit my 50 hour a week job. I replaced it with one that was 25 hours a week.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

WOW, those are nuts hours! Luckily I'm not looking at that many hours a week. I could never give up my time with T that much lol.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

#6 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I worked 2 jobs....one for someone else and the other for myself. It worked well with the other job as I could work around my day job and family requirements.

#7 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

When I was younger and starting out, I had 4 jobs - lots of highlighters on the calendar! 2 years ago when I was pregnant, I worked 2 jobs since I needed to get the hours for my mat leave - very hard with a family, my husband's hours and being pregnant. I'm pretty sure I could never do 4 jobs again, esp since some were midnight shifts. Way too old for that nonsense and no way with a family now..

Edited by chat_cath, 18 November 2012 - 04:13 PM.