14 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I found a seasonal job which I was excited about, but its only minimum wage and after calculating the additional cost of daycare, the take home is almost nothing and that doesnt include travel expense (gas). Im torn because I want to work ( actually desperate to work), but I dont want to work for free. I also feel bad calling them and rescinding my acceptance. wwyd in this situation?

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

In your situation, I would probably take the short term loss in hopes of a long term gain. The more experience you can gain, the better. It might be essentially for nothing now, but if it leads to something more, then maybe it will be worth it. Also, employers might not look as favorably at you if you've gone a long time not working after you finished school. You didn't say if this opportunity was in your field or not, but either way I would be more compelled to take it than not.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I work for half my salary after I pay for child care and gas. I make more than twice minimum wage. For me it wouldn't be worth the time away from my kid to make nothing

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Considering you said "I want to work ( actually desperate to work)", I would go for it. As long as you're not losing. You never know...this could open many more opportunities for you!

#5 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Its not in my field and ends Jan 1st, so no opportunity for advancement or permenant work. The position would actually be a retail job that puts me back to what I was doing 10+ years ago...lol

I know huge gaps in a resume is bad, but I also really need something that will offer enough income to cover my student loan and some savings ( would be nice).

Im just miserable and hate that I wasted time and money at school with no full time job prospects in sight :(

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Tough decision. Go with what your gut tells you.

#7 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

That's a tough one. You will be making nothing really because of daycare and you will be away from your family over the holidays. And the time you do get off, you will be very tired to enjoy.
I'd say no. Unless it has opp to continue after the holidays.
But that's just my opinion- I worked in retail for too many years to count.

Edited by Lasergirl, 07 November 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#8 one_new_mom

one_new_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

That's a tough one. You will be making nothing really because of daycare and you will be away from your family over the holidays. And the time you do get off, you will be very tired to enjoy.

Very good points.

#9 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Very good points.

If it was a long term job (even a year) or held many possibilities for the future, even though not in your field, even though you wouldn't make much, since you want to work, I would say yes, but considering the above points and the fact your child/ren would have to adapt to a daycare situation for a short period of time, I would likely contact them to decline the position - if pressed for a reason, just say you are unavailable to find suitable child care and leave it at that.

#10 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'd pass on it.

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:34 PM

I ended up declining the position. I've never done that before and felt horrible, but the cons far out weighed the positives. I would have loved some extra pennies in the bank for Christmas, but after crunching the numbers several times, it just wasn't worth it at all, plus with my spouses wage, I ran the risk of putting us into the next wage bracket which could have been costly at tax time :wacko: I don't mind going back to retail, worked it for years, but obviously a more reasonable wage with regular, longterm hours is what I'm going to have to shoot for. This job hunting thing is just so defeating. I don't care what anyone says, moms with young children are looked down on. I've had two interviews where they have asked me illegal questions regarding my marital status, number of children and children's age. UHG!!!! Sorry that just turned into a rantů.lol

Trying to stay positive @fml.com :)

#12 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

i was also going to say i would pass. about 5 years ago I worked a retail position for some "extra cash" and time out of my house- and it did not go over well. I quit within about 2 weeks. it was evening and weekends but they were scheduling me during the day - when i was not free - and would not give up my daycare hours- then looking ahead i would have been working every night up until xmas eve- then boxing day . I was paying for a sitter for my girls as my dh was away for work- i was hired on with many young teens ( which is fine) but the cattiness was unreal.- i just didn't want to deal with that- it was not worth it at all.
SOMETHING great will come along :)

#13 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

Are you able to find any time to volunteer somewhere that might help you get a foot in the door somewhere in the future, whether it's in the field you want or another area? That might satisfy your urge to work and also be a stepping stone and some recent experience for your resume.

#14 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

I did a practicum in June, but places just dont take placements. the hospital is hiring on call, temp which is a grat opportunity, but with my spouses shift it is impossible for me because I cannot work evenings or afternoons which makes me a bad candidate.

#15 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

What's your recent training in? Is it nursing? Maybe you could try to find an hour a week to volunteer in a nursing home (might be able to take your kid/s with you there if the scheduling is impossible or do it on a day your husband is off?) or the hospital or a social service agency?