6 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

First off I'm going to say I'm completely against the use of pain triggered training devices, however I'm at a loss with this dog and need to correct this issue.

We have a Beagle, they bark, whine, screech, scream, yowl and bay...its what they do, but I simply can't have her doing it every time you leaves room, its driving me nuts. Her barking/noise making is due to separation anxiety which she developped before we took her in (neglectful situation) we have done everything to correct it thus far with zero success.

I've never used a bark collar, so I'm wondering if anyone has and what they thought. Its a last ditch thing here. I seriously will video the noise she makes, because you honestly have to hear it to get it. It sounds like we are beating her to death.

Input please.....

#2 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

I bought one for Roxy(3yr.old shih-tzu) 2 years ago. It is the one that gives a little shock similar to you rubbing your feet on a carpet and touching someone. It worked for a while and the battery died. I bought new batteries and it worked for about 6 months then nothing. She doesn't like people and will bark at everyone non stop. There were times when she barked so bad that i thought she was going to pass out. If i keep her trimmed down to less than half inch of hair then the collar works, but as her hair grows the shock is so minimal that she just ignores it and continues to bark. I have seen her react to a shock but continue to bark.

I won't be buying another one. I will say that her barking has been reduced a bit but she still barks. I can't afford to take her to a trainer so we just live with it.

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

I actually don't mind bark collars for obsessive barkers. Because of the way they work the dog gets a "correction" every single time they bark. I understand what lilacmom said about some not minding the shock. I think they make ones where you can select a strength for the shock (not sure on that though). There are also ones that use a spray instead of a shock. From what I have heard they work less often than the shock ones. The dogs can feel the spray canister so, when there is no canister they learn they can bark. With the shock ones the shock component is small enough that many dogs don't know is they have that collar on or a normal collar. Also, personally, I think a shock is more humane thatn spraying something in a dog's nose. I have smelt the spray ones and they irritate my sinuses. With a dog's smell being at least 1000 times greater than a humans I think that would be plain torture for them. At least with a shock it is over quickly.

I would use one if I felt it necessary. Training aids are tools, used proplerly I feel very few out there are inherently inhumane. It is when they are used improperly that some (like choke and prong collars as well as shock training systems) become inhumane.

#4 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

This goes beyond obsessive. Very, very bad habit, one I cannot stand for. Barking at the door is one thing, barking for the sake of barking is just crazy.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

I bought one for our dogs and literally - after they were 'shocked' once or twice -- they stopped barking. Or if started barking I would leave the collar on the counter and all I had to do was pick it up and they stopped. So used it after the fact more as a 'warning' tool.

#6 Claudia

Claudia

M2M Member Since 2004

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Are these pricey? I've never really considered getting one of these but just by reading these posts I'm starting to! My dog isn't an incessant barker BUT I know him enough to know that I could use it as a warning tool like Leslie just said after he'd been zapped a couple times.

ETA: Nevermind, I just looked them up online. They really do range in price! I think I'm going to order one! :)

Edited by Claudia, 03 December 2012 - 01:17 PM.

#7 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Are these pricey? I've never really considered getting one of these but just by reading these posts I'm starting to! My dog isn't an incessant barker BUT I know him enough to know that I could use it as a warning tool like Leslie just said after he'd been zapped a couple times.

ETA: Nevermind, I just looked them up online. They really do range in price! I think I'm going to order one! :)

$60 at Canadian Tire and they go on sale for $39.99 every so often. I'm seriously considering trying in. I know if you getone at Petsmart you have 90 days to try it and if it doesnt work can return it with receipt.