#36 Leslie

Leslie

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I VERY MUCH like cbarker78's post!!!!!

I too am not normally a union supporter of any type. For the same reason you stated that I think in most cases they are past their point of being needed and have taken a sense of entitlement to a negative level.

But - this issue is SO MUCH more!

Edited by Leslie, 17 January 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#37 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Mama2Gracie, I don't agree at all with the idea that just because one group of people is underpaid, that others shouldn't be able to stand up for the pay, hours, benefit, etc. they deserve.  I'm not saying I agree with everything teachers have ever fought for, but just because one group is paid poorly doesn't mean another group should have to settle for whatever is given them.  The attitude of, "My pay/hours/workplace sucks so yours should too," is ridiculous.

Well Said emmsmama!  I do not know why the population especially around here, think this should be a race to the bottom!!!  Why do people want others to make crap money?  Because you do?  Just beause some employers pay better, should they be punished they are lucky enough to work there?

I work for the school board in a non-teaching position, we make good money, yes, have a pension (that we pay into) yes, have benefits yes, great holidays yes, time off yes!  But I choose to apply here and was very lucky enough to get hired, I am very thankful every day for my job.  But should I make less because say as a support staff at a private sector business makes $10 an hour less than me?  NO!  That's crap!  If people all made low or middle class salaries this country would go down the crapper! 

Our unions are fighting for collective bargaining rights not money!  Canada is a democracy....not a communist country....so why are we allowing the government to take rights away and go backwards after all the work us Canadians have put in over the years to succeed as working people?????  I just dont get it!

#38 Spanky2

Spanky2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

http://www.theglobea...article4456421/

Jessica, look at the bigger picture.  The above article articulates why we as a nation are in trouble.  At the heart of a lot of the reasons we can't compete on a global stage are really about taxes and unions.  Unions drive up wages, which makes us less able to produce products that can compete.  Do we want to earn the same wages as south east Asia?  No, but when the governments talk about holding the line on spending/debt/taxes....this is what it's about.  No one is asking you to earn LESS (right now anyway), we're just asking that you don't ask for MORE. 

Also, it's my opinion that the decision as to whether or not the government acted in bad faith can only be decided by the OLRB, and/or the courts.

#39 Jessica H

Jessica H

Proud mom of 3 beautiful kids

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,702 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

Let's just agree to disagree ;-)