9 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I know several people who have gone to university/college for several years and earned a diploama/degree(s) but are unable to find work related to their education. With the downturn in the economy some that have found a job are working for minimum wage or not a whole lot more. If you have a post secondary diploma/degree, are you working in the field that you were trained in? Do your earnings justify the cost & time you spent getting your education? Was it hard to find a job in your field with an unstable economy?

#2 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Not personally, though my older brother has a PhD and can't find work in his field so he gets by as a casual worker at a factory.

It seems like universities have become addicted to ever greater enrollment and go on graduating students. The administrators always claim that people don't go to university to get a job all while speaking out the other side of their mouths of the economic benefits of a degree.

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Well, even when I worked as a vet tech I made crap for money. But, I knew getting into the profession that would be the case. It is only a 2yr college course though so and was only around 15,000. I did work as a vet tech for 17yrs. The main issue with being a vet tech is there are only a few schools in Ontario that offer the course so, many people from Windsor take the course. I could get a job in another city fairly easily. (I could get a better paying job in another city with my experience too).

Is it worth is. If I had to do it now, I'd say yes, only if I was willing to move.

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:27 PM

went to college, not working in my field mostly due to government cut backs in social services. Now I am paying off a student loan with no income

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:54 AM

I took a 3 year course at Lambton, been working semi in my field for the last 10 years. The politics of it is starting to wear on me and I'm looking at going back to school

#6 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

My daughter went to school for PSW 3 years ago, she works in a restaurant. She couldn't find anything that gave her enough hours to survive on as a PSW. Most jobs in this field are a couple hours a day to start, the schedules aren't even consistent so that you could work a second job so she gave up looking. The pay was not very good either.

#7 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Try community living Essex county. Blocks are consistent so even though only 15-25 hours, able to hold a second job. She does need a valid drivers license.

#8 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info but she is expecting a baby in April so she isn't looking right now. I will let her know for the future.

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I graduated from ECE in college and took a couple ASL courses.  I worked on-call in daycare centers for a while, then a factory, then in an office, then started running my own home daycare and infant sign language classes.  I don't regret taking ECE at all because it made me a better parent as well as a caregiver.  College seemed to be much cheaper back then too.

I'd love to go back to school for a couple things, but the cost and the possible lack of work in the fields I'm interested in are huge deterrents to me doing it.

Edited by emmsmama, 05 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#10 lyndz

lyndz

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 160 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

Went to College for 3 years and got a job a year after school and making great money now. You really have to be smart of what you go to school for now a days. My biggest concern is that I wanted a job with full benefits (even post benefits) and pension and thats what I got. Couldn't be happier!!!