6 replies to this topic

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just got back from Rivard vet. This vet wants me to bring Karma in every 3 weeks until she is 5 months. I don't recall getting our Roxy vaccinated every 3 weeks when she was a pup. I went there because a relative told me it's cheaper. Roxy goes to Clearwater.

Does this seem right?

I couldn't understand what he was saying. He didn't speak english very well. I was nodding without understanding.

Edited by Lilacmom, 05 February 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

No. Milo had a set of 3 vacs and that's it unti he was a year then once yearly

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Not unlesss there is a new vaccine protocol that has come out in the past 9mo.

Puppies should get a combo that includes leptovirus at 6, 8, 12 and 16 weeks. (so last at 4 months). Rabies and bordetella after 14 weeks (so at the 16 week vaccine).

Now, some vets will split up vaccines, espeically in very small dogs, to help avoid vaccine reactions. So, if they are not getting a full combo vaccine at each visit, they will need more visits. I have a lot of friends who go every 2 weeks for vaccines because they want each disease vaccinated for separately. I also know a lot of people who won't give rabies until the pup is older.

SO, yes and no. It all depends on what the puppy is getting at each visit. Not the number of visits or the age they are at.

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I've always done two visits. Was the pup properly vaccinated by the breeder? The only thing I can think of is they are doing the first two sets that should be done at 5-8 weeks?

#5 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

The pup was not vaccinated before. The vet said some breeders don't do it. This was her first set of shots.

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

The thing is it doesn't really matter for the number more times she needs to be boostered. The first booster should be done very soon after weaning. As soon as mom is no longer passing along antibodies. The vaccines need to be boostered every 3-4 weeks after that until after the mom's antibodies are no longer affecting the puppy and making the vaccine's antibodies less effective.

Think of the antibodies of the pup as a roller coaster. Every time you booster the pup you climb a hill. The amount of atibodies start to drop within a few days but, it doesn't hit the sam low as the last hill. When you booster the pup you make a steep climb, each peak is a little higher and each drop is less steep and less far. KWIM? BUT, the mom's antibodies also have an affect. They kind of slow down the car near the top of the hill so that it can't go quite as high as it could otherwise. You want the last booster after the mom's antibodies can no longer do this. BUT, if you didn't do any vacccines utnil that late the pup's immunity would constantly drop from the time it was weaned until the first vaccine. Then, to be effective it would still need one booster to make sure the immunity level was high enough. (or you can do titres and find out but, there are issues with that too). Since Bordetella and Rabies do not need boosters they need to be given after mom's antibodies have worn off.

The only thing that not being vaccinated at 6-7 weeks by the puppy producer does is make it so the pup's immunity is lower than if it had gotten vaccinated. That is only true for between the first and second vaccines though. The way immunity and vaccines work is somewhat complicated, I've really simplified it here. (I can't remember all my T-cell and B-cell, cell memory and other immunology right now LOL)

#7 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Thank-you for all the information. It was very helpful. The vet actually called me today to see how Karma was doing. I never got a call from a vet before.