10 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

Has anyone else noticed these are becoming the norm? I've done a couple and I know I'm not good at them. I'm just not one of those shiny, fake happy, "look at me" kind of people. I miss one on one :( I think you get so much more about a person than you do in a group. Has anyone else done the group interview? Thoughts? Suggestions?

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

yes i have done them

and i am not fan to

#3 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:08 PM

As an employer, we would look for a person who is a good listener, actively engaged in the conversation and interested in their peers, rather than the person who is more talkative or "shiny... look at me." Hope this helps.

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:50 AM

I am not fond of them either. I am really shy in large groups. So  I don't really speak out and it is hard for an employer to notice the one who is sitting there quietly in the back lol

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

I've never even heard of that. It's been a long time since I've gone for an interview. I wouldn't even know what to say.

#6 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have done one and while I didn't mind it, I can't say I was a huge fan. I found by the time it got around to me to answer the questions, most of what I was going to say had already been said like 5 times over. I did however like that the whole interview wasn''t solely based around me for an hour. Sometimes I find that a bit uncomfortable too.

#7 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

ugh. sitting in a room with 20 people answering the same question and watching as all the good answers get tossed out before you get a chance to speak….fun :)

#8 AmazingGrace

AmazingGrace

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:16 PM

I am very soon going to be re-entering the workforce and havent been on an interview in years. Any and all input is greatly appreciated

#9 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I did one as well and didn't like it at all. But I am a bit more quiet in a group setting, so I don't stand out at all. I need the one on one

Edited by Lasergirl, 28 February 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#10 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

I had one years ago when being interviewed for a supply daycare job. It was one of the hardest interviews I have ever had. It was with about 5 others.

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 11:47 AM

I had one years ago when being interviewed for a supply daycare job. It was one of the hardest interviews I have ever had. It was with about 5 others.

I've done a couple.  The last had twenty people…TWENTY!  I found it draining and it almost feels like your wasting your time if your not the first few people to speak.  I didn't even make eye contact with the owner because by the time they got to me he wasn't even looking at me when I spoke, let alone paying attention  :(