6 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:39 AM

Has anyone had their dogs anal glands removed surgically? My beagle is continuously impacted which results in them spontaneously draining, usually all over my couch every few weeks. It's absolutely disgusting and I'm debating having them surgically removed because we've thus far lucked out on infections, but that can't last forever. I've been told that complications are common post op? Wondering if anyone else has gone this route and what their experience was. I can't imagine dealing with this for another 15+ years. She is a healthy weight, on holistic food - Vet figures her anal sacs are deep, which is common with hounds. lucky us..ugh.

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

Never had one of my own had it done. I did seriously think of doing my last Akita though. She used to express them while sleeping! It was wretched. Her crate and the area behind it were always speckled with anal sac discharge. Then, when she wasn't crated anymore it was on her blanket and on whatever was behind her...curtain, couch, walls. I never did bothered with surgery though. For awhile I did express her every other week but, I just got tired of doing it. (and she got tired of me doing it lol)

I also found when she got more treats or when she gained weight she was more prone to expressing her anal sacs while sleeping. She was never "fat" but, she got a little overweight sometimes (like 5lbs on an Akita, doesn't seem like much but, it made a difference for her)

There are possible complications to surgery. Fecal incontinence and anal fistulas being number 1 and 2 long term. Infection during healing is the main immediate concern. I have not seen any dogs who have had complications but, I have only seen 3 or 4 dogs have their anal sacs removed. The only dogs I've ever seen have removal done were overweight, and had chronic infections.

I'm not sure what to say. I wouldn't do it myself but, I also know how frustrating it is.

#3 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Sorry no advice here but man that just sounds wrong on soo many levels. Good Luck.

#4 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

Never had one of my own had it done. I did seriously think of doing my last Akita though. She used to express them while sleeping! It was wretched. Her crate and the area behind it were always speckled with anal sac discharge. Then, when she wasn't crated anymore it was on her blanket and on whatever was behind her...curtain, couch, walls. I never did bothered with surgery though. For awhile I did express her every other week but, I just got tired of doing it. (and she got tired of me doing it lol)

I also found when she got more treats or when she gained weight she was more prone to expressing her anal sacs while sleeping. She was never "fat" but, she got a little overweight sometimes (like 5lbs on an Akita, doesn't seem like much but, it made a difference for her)

There are possible complications to surgery. Fecal incontinence and anal fistulas being number 1 and 2 long term. Infection during healing is the main immediate concern. I have not seen any dogs who have had complications but, I have only seen 3 or 4 dogs have their anal sacs removed. The only dogs I've ever seen have removal done were overweight, and had chronic infections.

I'm not sure what to say. I wouldn't do it myself but, I also know how frustrating it is.

I'm so torn at the moment.  Im completely against what I consider "cosmetic" surgeries for pets, but this is pretty tough to deal with.  Having them drained regularly seems to have little to no affect, she still for what ever reason releases that mess.  I can handle cleaning it, but the smell.  Its like rotting fish and nothing kills it.  I'm wondering if we drop her weight a little more?  She is considered a healthy weight, but a couple pounds would be okay.  She would look sporty again :)  Someone said adding fibre powder to the food helps? 

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:10 PM

I'm not sure about adding fibre. It does add bulk to the stool so, it may help to express the glands duing a BM, when it is supposed to happen.

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

Maybe I will try fibre first and if that fails have another meeting with the vet.  I've never had a dog like this before - just feels like one thing after another.

#7 supermom

supermom

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

we had to get this done for our dog because he couldn't express. he ended up with an impacted gland twice.

though we altered his diet with fiber, then changed his food according to vet advice, we didn't have much success. it sounds like you have the other spectrum of problem.

it is absolutely heart wrenching to see our little dog in that much pain before the surgery.

best thing we did for him