9 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:09 PM

I've stewed over this for a little while and its really bothering me now.  Has anyone ever been asked illegal line of questioning during an interview and if so what did you do?

The last two interviews I had the person flat out asked me my marital status, if I had children, how many and if I had care for them.  All questions that are bias and not allowed.  The problem is you know that by turning around and saying " I don't have to answer those questions" you are ending the interview, but by answering I'm married and have one child who has full time available care, they basically poo poo'd me because given the next few questions regarding emergencies, illness etc..they obviously wanted someone with no young children.  I'm pretty ticked off.  Its hard enough to get an interview in this city without being pushed out the door for having a family.  I felt like crap walking out and knew I wasn't getting a second call back.  

After a year of unsuccessful job searching and finally getting a couple interviews,  this was not what I needed. I think I'm more irritated than ever because we found a great home in the neighbourhood we want and in our budget, but can't move forward without a second income to ensure we can still maintain the lifestyle we are accustomed to and not live pay check to pay check.  If I was working, we could move on with our lives.  UGH!!!!!   It should not be this difficult!

WWYD if you were presented an illegal line of questioning during an interview?  I'm trying to prepare should this happens again.

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

What we used to tell our students (adults with injuries being retrained through WSIB) was to answer with a question such as, "Would that affect my chances of getting the job?" or a question about if it would affect their ability to do the job since most illegal questions we talked about were pertaining to their disabilities. We did prepare them for things such as being asked about their religion as well. Yes, they may still not like that you're confronting them about it, but like you said, if they held it against you anyway, then what do you have to lose? We always said that it would hopefully give them a second to backtrack their questioning and move on.

#3 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm continually amazed and saddened by the number of employers who ask the impossible on a job application and then cry about a shortage of qualified applicants. Do they really expect a crop of qualified, experienced people to have no families and no ties? Good people are hard to find- a LOT harder than working around childcare arrangements. Some HR departments need to get a grip.

#4 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Its amazing how many employers seem to no longer care about employment standards. My brothers girlfriend went for a trial day after in place of an interview at a pharmacy. They wanted to pay her $10/hr and when she piped up and said that minimum was $10.25 and she wanted at least $13/ hr they told her people expect too much and that she will never find work. This all after treating her like crap for the first four hours. She walked out and didn't even bother finishing the shift. There is such a job shortage in our area that it seems many employers think they can just do what they want now. It's pretty flipping sad!

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

I look at it this way. Would I really want to word for someone if me having kids etc. would prevent me from getting the job?

I have no problem saying "well, technicially you cannot ask me that but, yes, I have children, yes they do live with me and yes they come before any job I will ever have".  If they don't want to hire me because if that then I really don't want to work for them!

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

At this point I would work for the biggest a-hole in the world.  I could care less about their personal beliefs or issues, I just want to start working.  Sounds bad I know :(

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:12 PM

Doesn't sound bad. That is why I am working making less than I did on EI and in a job well beneath my education.  I needed to get a job and start working again.

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

Maybe you could turn it around politely on them and ask them something like, "Do you feel that my marital status would affect my ability to do this job?"  That way you aren't refusing to answer the question and you aren't saying, "Hey, that's illegal to ask me that question," and you also aren't completely slamming the door shut on your job possibility because if you ask politely then it's turning the tables on them and putting them in the hotseat, but without being confrontational.

#9 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

I'm thinking they already have their minds made up when they ask those types of questions, so no matter how you respond, if they want someone free of ties and you have a family you are screwed!  

#10 wino

wino

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Its amazing how many employers seem to no longer care about employment standards. My brothers girlfriend went for a trial day after in place of an interview at a pharmacy. They wanted to pay her $10/hr and when she piped up and said that minimum was $10.25 and she wanted at least $13/ hr they told her people expect too much and that she will never find work. This all after treating her like crap for the first four hours. She walked out and didn't even bother finishing the shift. There is such a job shortage in our area that it seems many employers think they can just do what they want now. It's pretty flipping sad!

As my knowledge, you work as an assistant at pharmacy and work like a dog at pay $10/hr. You have to remember wearing a happy face all day long. If you feel like crap, keep hiding. Dont let your boss know it. otherwise, He will say goodbye today.

If you want to work $13+/hour, PM me.

Edited by wino, 02 September 2014 - 12:55 PM.