17 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:13 PM

We have an 8 year old lab that has been diagnosed with pyometra (thickening of the uterus) and has developed an infection. She is on antibiotics and the vet has recommended that we have her spayed. The vet said that since she is an older dog that the fee to spay her is $1700, this is on top of the $400 that we spent for her meds and a checkup. Is this a normal price? This seems outrageous.

Can anyone recommend a vet that is reasonable or know why it would be so much more expensive because she is older?  
Does anyone have a pet that has had pyometra and what was the treatment/outcome? 

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

We see Dr. Jim at Malden rd vet hospital. We love him and find his prices to slightly higher than an average vet , but believe him to be one if the best in the city. I know larger dogs cost more but I can't see how it would be $1700! My shitzu cost around $350 ish

#3 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:35 PM

Maybe Trea can chime in since she knows more about the business. It's not $1700 because of the size. I would assume that much due to the age of the dog and the condition that's being dealt with.

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Actually that seems reasonable to me for this procedure. We have had a couple rescues go through it and the cost was always around $2500 once you factor in check-up, blood work, surgery and post op care.

Dr. Khahra at Dougall Veterinary Hospital is really great and tends to work with patients were costs concerned. 519-969-3020

DO NOT WAIT!!! Pyometra has a high fetality rate and the risk becomes greater as the infection gets worse.

*icorrect

Edited by vals, 03 April 2013 - 09:24 AM.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

YEP absolutely normal price for an emergency spay.  I have seen it more. They need IV fluids, close monitoring and it is a very hard procedure to do when they have a pyometria (that is the infection. The thickening of the uterus is due to the infection, not usually the other way around).

she MUST be spayed. I have seen dogs die because of a pyo! That said, I have also heard of a few (very few) who recover with high doses of antibiotics for a long time. The only reason I have heard of anyone treating instead of spaying was when it was a show or working dog and breeding her would benefit the breed. The very few dogs I've heard of this happening with were bred on their next heat, on antibiotics throught the pregnancy then spayed as soon after as possible. I've also seen dogs euthanized because a) they are too sick from the infection to do surgery safely or b) lack of funds to do surgery.

If she is not spayed she has a huge chance of developing another infection with every heat she has.

The possibility of pyo is the #1 reason to spay dogs when they are young. Every heat a dog has increases their chance of pyo.

I have only had 2 dogs with a pyo myself. Both were spayed as emergency surgeries and one had been bred 3 weeks before developing the pyo. She was pregnant at the time of spay :( . We had planned the litter she had been carrying since before she was born and she was 4yrs old.

I know it is hard to deal with. I've BTDT. Sorry your dog has to go through this.

Edited by Trea, 03 April 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

We have an 8 year old lab that has been diagnosed with pyometra (thickening of the uterus) and has developed an infection. She is on antibiotics and the vet has recommended that we have her spayed. The vet said that since she is an older dog that the fee to spay her is $1700, this is on top of the $400 that we spent for her meds and a checkup. Is this a normal price? This seems outrageous.

Can anyone recommend a vet that is reasonable or know why it would be so much more expensive because she is older?  
Does anyone have a pet that has had pyometra and what was the treatment/outcome? 

How is the dog?  Did you find a better price?

#7 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

She is starting to feel better and perk up a bit with the meds. I was out of town yesterday so didn't get a chance to call around but I am checking it out today. Thanks for all of the terrific information. 

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

I hope I don't get flamed for this, but maybe check out vet hospitals across the border.  I don't know what Detroit is like, and obviously you'd want to pick a place with good reviews and that you felt comfortable with, but recently I started calling around for info. on dental work for my dog.  Locally the cost estimate was $800-900+ (incl. exam, bloodwork, IV, antibiotics, cleaning, anesthetic, etc.)  I had 3 people recommend a place in NY (I'm living up near Ottawa now) and when I called their cost estimate was $300-400.  I asked them tons of questions about the procedure, anesthetic, etc. and felt comfortable that they are just as high quality of a place as the local ones, so I will most likely be bringing my dog there for his dental work.  If it was a couple hundred dollars I wouldn't bother since it's a good drive from where I am, but for a $400-500+ difference, considering they got good reviews and recommendations from others, it's worth bringing my dog stateside.

#9 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

I know a lot of people who go over the border for vet care. Prices are less for sure. Just be sure the dog is up to date on rabies vaccine or you may not be able to cross. I have had to do an "emergency" vaccine on dogs crossing the border a few times. Usually an American who came over here with their dog, got through customs coming into Canada but, could not get the dog back into the states because they didn't have proof of up to date vaccine. (I've heard of it the other way too).

Also remember...if you DO go to a vet other than your usual one you should make sure to get a copy of the dog's record so the vet has accurate record, or be sure the vet calls for the records to be faxed to them. It is actually malpractice to not have records "transfered".

#10 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the tips Trea.  My dog is going to get his vaccine while at the clinic (not on the same day as the dental work, but at the pre-op exam a couple weeks before the dental work is done).  I'm actually worried about the vaccine because my dog hasn't had one in 10 years.  He has next to 0 risk factors for getting rabies and a few years back I had a vet tell me that there hadn't been a single case of rabies reported in over a decade in Windsor.  I'm worried about giving it to my dog (he's 13 yrs. old) because I don't want him to have a negative reaction to it.  However, I don't think it's going to be a choice if I bring him stateside for vet care, so I've said they can do it at his pre-op exam.

I was already thinking I should get the vet he had in Windsor to send his files to the vet in NY.  Is there usually a charge to transfer records do you know?

#11 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

Not usally a charge. Remember though, since he hasn't had a vaccine in a long time you may not be able to get him across the border to his appointment! If they ask you you must provide proof of up to date rabies vaccine to get across. (I've had people turned away for having a certificate that said something else was due, like bordetella vaccine even. but, only rabies is really needed)

BTW, no, there hasn't been a single reported case of rabies in the Windsor area in decades. This is due to vaccination of dogs and raccoons. But, there were a few cases about 2yrs ago from some puppies bred in the TO area and sold in the London area!!! No dog has a zero risk of getting rabies if they go outside. Raccoons are everywhere and raccoon rabies is getting closer to the area all the time. The fact rabies is easily passed to humans is the #1 reason there is manditory rabies vaccination of pets. In Windsor (not sure of anywhere else) you "can" be fined up to 2000 if your dog bites someone (all dogs have a bite threshold, in no dog can it "never happen") and it is not up to date on rabies vaccination.

Reaction to rabies vaccine is not much of a concern. Especially at his age and the fact he had it done as a young dog. If he didn't react then, chances are minimal he will react now.

Hope you manage to get him across for his pre-op! Good luck (I've crossed many times and get asked for proof about 2/3 of the time, so there is a chance you will not be asked for proof of vaccine)

#12 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

BTW...Lisa, sorry about the hijack :blush

#13 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Actually that seems reasonable to me for this procedure. We have had a couple rescues go through it and the cost was always around $2500 once you factor in check-up, blood work, surgery and post op care.

Dr. Khahra at Dougall Veterinary Hospital is really great and tends to work with patients were costs concerned. 519-969-3020

DO NOT WAIT!!! Pyometra has a high fetality rate and the risk becomes greater as the infection gets worse.

*icorrect

Vals, I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. Our dog is there right now having surgery, he said it would be risky so I am on pins and needles right now. He was great at explaining everything and even showed me a uterus which he had just removed from a cat to explain how everything worked. I was a little grossed out by the uterus but appreciate that he wanted me to know exactly what had to be done. They are wonderful, caring people. I was teary eyed when I had to leave her behind, they all gave me a hug and assured me that they will take care of her as if she was their own pet. While I was there someone who had lost their dog recently (due to old age) brought them a framed picture of the dog and just couldn't say enough great things about their practice. No matter the outcome, I feel confident that we left her in good hands.

#14 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

I just got the call from the vet and she made it through the surgery and seems to be doing well. Thank you so much for all of the information and advice. 

#15 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

*icorrect

Vals, I just wanted to thank you for the recommendation. Our dog is there right now having surgery, he said it would be risky so I am on pins and needles right now. He was great at explaining everything and even showed me a uterus which he had just removed from a cat to explain how everything worked. I was a little grossed out by the uterus but appreciate that he wanted me to know exactly what had to be done. They are wonderful, caring people. I was teary eyed when I had to leave her behind, they all gave me a hug and assured me that they will take care of her as if she was their own pet. While I was there someone who had lost their dog recently (due to old age) brought them a framed picture of the dog and just couldn't say enough great things about their practice. No matter the outcome, I feel confident that we left her in good hands.

Wonderful!!! , Glad your pooch is out of surgery and doing well.  Dr. K is a wonderful vet (his wife is great too) and really cares about his patients.  He is very big on ensuring pet owners understand what is going, which I really like.  He does a lot of free spay/neuter for local rescues.  Great all around place.

I hope your pup has a speedy recovery.

#16 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Glad all went well!

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

I just got the call from the vet and she made it through the surgery and seems to be doing well. Thank you so much for all of the information and advice. 

So glad it went well!

#18 emmsmama

emmsmama

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Not usally a charge. Remember though, since he hasn't had a vaccine in a long time you may not be able to get him across the border to his appointment! If they ask you you must provide proof of up to date rabies vaccine to get across. (I've had people turned away for having a certificate that said something else was due, like bordetella vaccine even. but, only rabies is really needed)

BTW, no, there hasn't been a single reported case of rabies in the Windsor area in decades. This is due to vaccination of dogs and raccoons. But, there were a few cases about 2yrs ago from some puppies bred in the TO area and sold in the London area!!! No dog has a zero risk of getting rabies if they go outside. Raccoons are everywhere and raccoon rabies is getting closer to the area all the time. The fact rabies is easily passed to humans is the #1 reason there is manditory rabies vaccination of pets. In Windsor (not sure of anywhere else) you "can" be fined up to 2000 if your dog bites someone (all dogs have a bite threshold, in no dog can it "never happen") and it is not up to date on rabies vaccination.

Reaction to rabies vaccine is not much of a concern. Especially at his age and the fact he had it done as a young dog. If he didn't react then, chances are minimal he will react now.

Hope you manage to get him across for his pre-op! Good luck (I've crossed many times and get asked for proof about 2/3 of the time, so there is a chance you will not be asked for proof of vaccine)

Apparently there hasn't been a case of raccoon rabies since 2005.  I know my dog doesn't have a 0 risk if he goes outside at all, but he has as close to 0 risk as is possible.  I'm very glad to hear though that reactions are very rare.

I decided to get the vaccine done locally because as you said, he may not be able to cross without the vaccine.  I wouldn't care too much if we got to the border and they just turned us back, but I didn't want to risk them making me quarantine him stateside.  I then thought maybe I would get the dental work done locally and just pay 2x the amount to get it done to avoid the shot, but they might still make me get it done locally seeing as it is the law.  My dog had a surgery years ago in Windsor and the vet didn't make me get the rabies shot, but I figure if I get him the shot I will make sure they sign the paper for 3 years and then I shouldn't have to worry about it again. 

Edited by emmsmama, 06 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.