5 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

For those of you who have one, which brand do you have and what are your pros and cons?  I'm looking at one that will be comfortable for dd, fold up to travel and is easy to attach.  We have a little tikes brand at my mums, but its just too bulky and cannot be transported unless you use a truck, so thats no good.  We are planning on biking point pelee and some of the other county trails this summer :) 

These are the ones I've looked at:

1. Instep:   http://www.target.co...rm=bike trailer

2. Instep: http://www.target.co...rm=bike trailer

3. Triumph (seems flimsy): http://www.walmart.c...ctionPage=false

4. Allen:  http://www.walmart.c...railer/19793703

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:25 PM

I have a Chariot and love the quick connect, the anti-tip feature, the well made frame, the multiple functionality of it, the light weight, the great ride it gives because of the suspension in it and it is super easy to tow.

Here is a link to the one I have.  Mine is not this colour though (jealous LOL)

http://www.chariotca...rple-_-10100531

I used mine a LOT when T was young. I'd go do groceries with it, go the the library, ride to the school to get ODS as well as at camping. I used it very heavily for about 2yrs, even in winter and It still looks brand new (even after 3yrs in storage too!) Honestly if I had it all to do again I wouldn't have bought a large, all-terrain storller. I would have just bought this and the infant sling for it! My only regret in getting it is, not getting the double even though I only had one child to put in it. He was a little crammed on the return trip from the grocery store sometimes.

For the ones you are looking at I think the instep is a better make. I looked at them but, after seeing the Chariot I couldn't believe the difference in them. I also got very lucky and get an excellent deal on mine! I knew I'd be using it very heavily as we were down to one vehicle and I got second dibs on that vehicle each day LOL. If I had wanted one for just occasional or camping use I'd have gotten an InStep.

#3 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

That looks far superior to the ones I've seen in the stores and dd would love the colour! Not sure If I could talk my s/o into the $600+ price tag???

I have a Chariot and love the quick connect, the anti-tip feature, the well made frame, the multiple functionality of it, the light weight, the great ride it gives because of the suspension in it and it is super easy to tow.

I used mine a LOT when T was young. I'd go do groceries with it, go the the library, ride to the school to get ODS as well as at camping. I used it very heavily for about 2yrs, even in winter and It still looks brand new (even after 3yrs in storage too!) Honestly if I had it all to do again I wouldn't have bought a large, all-terrain storller. I would have just bought this and the infant sling for it! My only regret in getting it is, not getting the double even though I only had one child to put in it. He was a little crammed on the return trip from the grocery store sometimes.

For the ones you are looking at I think the instep is a better make. I looked at them but, after seeing the Chariot I couldn't believe the difference in them. I also got very lucky and get an excellent deal on mine! I knew I'd be using it very heavily as we were down to one vehicle and I got second dibs on that vehicle each day LOL. If I had wanted one for just occasional or camping use I'd have gotten an InStep.

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

I played the safety and longevity cards as well as "It will hold up so well we should be able to sell it easily when we are done with it". Same thing I said about my stroller. The stroller is in my ex's attic and the bike trailer is in my garage LOL.  I also got a really goo deal on it. One of the local dealers had ordered it for a family member who then decided they didn't want it. I paid what he was going to charge his family member because he didn't want it sitting around the shop. He didn't "normally" carry them even though he was a dealer!

That looks far superior to the ones I've seen in the stores and dd would love the colour! Not sure If I could talk my s/o into the $600+ price tag???

#5 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have this one from Costco and love it.  I had a bike trailer previously that ended up sitting outside (and the canopy got wrecked over time) because it was too big to store in my shed and I didn't have a garage.  The Joyrider trailer/stroller folds up, but it also converts quickly between trailer and stroller mode.  The bar for the trailer folds and is stored underneath, which makes it much more practical to store.  I have a garage now, but it's still nice to be able to store it quickly and not have it taking up a bunch of room.

It's a double stroller/trailer and has 5 point harnesses for each side, or if you want to put just one child in the middle then you can use a 5 point harness just in the middle.  It's hard-bottomed (much safer and sturdier than the saggy/soft bottom trailers), and the canopy net is very sturdy as well.  It also comes with a rain cover and good storage room in the back pockets for some sand toys or even a diaper bag or backpack if it's not huge.

My only complaint about the trailer/stroller is that it is a bit wider than a reg. double stroller, so it won't fit through a standard sized-doorway when opened, but that's not an issue anyway if you are using it as a trailer and not a stroller.  I normally use it as a stroller for walks outside, so as a stroller I love it as well, but when I've used it as a bike trailer the ride was super smooth with it.

As a stroller I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5, but as a bike trailer I'd give it a 5+ out of 5.

Edited by emmsmama, 27 April 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

I looked at the one at Costco yesturday. It's nice. I Think if we were having more children then I might have budgeted higher, but for one child for the next couple summers I was thinking $100-$150 range. Might have to bump that up though since the cheaper ones seem really flimsy and I would be pretty irritated if it wore out after one summer.