7 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

We are looking for a vet in the Windsor area that is reasonably priced and knowledgable/compassionate, etc.  We are getting a new baby boxer on the 25th of June, and we want someone other than our old vet.

We used to go to Dr Jackson before he retired- He was fairly expensive, but we always went to him, and he genuinely cared about our dogs.  After that I saw another vet there, but I just didn't feel the care was the same anymore- not to validate the extra cost.

We had our last boxer put down in April, at Walker Animal Hospital, and they seemed very reasonable and good, but I really don't know much about them.  Any insight into them would be great!!

I am not big on Rivard Animal hospital, as I am pretty sure they are scared of dogs. LOL  At least big, barky dogs!  Looking for one pretty quickly, as we will obviously want her to be seen by a vet soon after we get her!

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

The vet I used to work for is now at Tecumseh and Forest Glade animal hospitals. The clinics are owned by the same associates and Dr MacKenzie splits his time between the 2 (so do the other vets that work there). I still drive to Tecumseh from LaSalle to see Dr M because I trust him 110% to always do what is best for the patient while balancing the needs of the client. He is very straight forward, will take the time to explain things to you and will help you make decisions that are best for you and your pet.

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Dougall Ave. Vet Clinic is awesome. A couple of people on this site recommended them to me. A couple of months ago my dog was really sick and needed surgery, they took excellent care of her. They were very reasonable and very caring. They called to make sure she was doing alright when we brought her home. The vet even gave us his home phone number in case we had any concerns.  

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Khahra at Dougall Avenue Veterinary Hospital, he is very compassionate, cares about his patients as though they where one of his own and offers very reasonable prices. I also really like Dr. Jammu (and Dr. Gill) at LaSalle Animal Hospital. prices have gone up a little over the years, but both are very skilled vets. Dr. Jammu is very caring, he actually took my dog home with him overnight when he had a serious surgery. That's a caring vet :)

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Ok, new to this since its been 11 years.. We will get our pup at 7 weeks- she'll have received her 6 weeks vaccines a few days before.. Should I bring her to the vet right away, or can I wait until her next set is due if I'm not concerned about her at all?

#6 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:59 PM

Ok, new to this since its been 11 years.. We will get our pup at 7 weeks- she'll have received her 6 weeks vaccines a few days before.. Should I bring her to the vet right away, or can I wait until her next set is due if I'm not concerned about her at all?

Because it is heartworm season she should go in and get some heartworm preventive at least. Also take her absolutely no where else until she has had at least her second (I wait until after third) booster. Especially this time of year diseases run rampant in Windsor and the surrounding area! If you must take her anywhere then do not allow her to touch ground and don't allow anyone with dogs touch her. (especially if you don't know the vaccine history on the dog)

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

Can I take her to my moms before? Her dog is fully vaccinated so no worries there.. I'd obviously want her to go out on her lawn, etc..

Second vax is when, exactly? Around 8 weeks?

#8 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I don't take pups anywhere at all but, I'm overly cautious. Your mom's should be fine.

She should come with a record that will tell you when her next vaccine is due. Where I worked if  a pup was done at 6 weeks we did 8, 12 and 16 weeks after that. The boosters should be no more than 4 weeks apart with the last one being at 16 weeks. (the mom's immunity affects the efficacy of the vaccine until around 16 weeks.)