7 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

My dogs are shedding like crazy. I brush them and get a whole grocery bag full of fur off each dog every few days and I still have fur all over my house. Any tips?

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:11 PM

Shave em down :)

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

We did shave them before, not all the way to the skin, we just ended up with piles of shorter hair.
I was looking online to see how they would look if they were bald and found this pic, maybe I could go with this look...

Too funny, where do people come up with these ideas.

578680_460652843965813_230448930_n.jpg

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:47 PM

Ok I wouldn't do that lol. We have a little shitzu that we take the groomers about once every 10-12 weeks and I trim his face in between and we hardly ever have hair issues. Our one cat sheds like crazy and I've been seriously considering shaving her too. Not completely bald, but enough that there won't be clumps of fur.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

Feeding a very high quality food is the #1 way to keep shedding to a minimum. If the dog is on a high quality food then likely the shedding is normal.

#6 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

My mom's lab sheds soo much!! I wouldn't ever own a lab because of the fur!! She's on great food too! Hers is seasonal, so it's not always bad!

#7 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:40 PM

Ours are black lab & shepherd mix. We have one that's solid black that hardly sheds, the multi-color dogs always have huge clumps hanging off of them. Our's shed seasonally to but I find if there is a big change in the weather for a few days they start again. I keep thinking that they will run out of fur but they never do.

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Feeding a very high quality food is the #1 way to keep shedding to a minimum. If the dog is on a high quality food then likely the shedding is normal.

Agree 100%!!!!  We have a Golden and they have a coat….like a massive, fuzzy, get on everything coat and she hardly sheds at all.  We do have a fulminator, it works and has been used by a couple friends for a Rotti and Husky with much success. Maintenance is then using a good brush once a week outdoors (the birds will thanks you).  The bamboo shed tools are also suppose to be really good.  I have a friend who uses one on her horse.  Good diet and regular grooming is key!