11 replies to this topic

#1 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

Now I'm looking into dog foods.  Our puppy in currently on Royal Canin Indoor puppy food..  The breeder swears up and down that this food is the best, but she is also a distributor for the food, so I know she is invested in it, as well.  She is able to get it for us for a fair bit cheaper than it is in store..

What are the thought son this brand.. The one thing I did notice is that the first ingredient is not meat.. I thought that was pretty important?  I will admit though, that I don't know much about how to identify a quality food..

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

We feed all our animals purina one. The dog food is $45 for a 40lb bag (I think it's 40lbs ill check next time I walk by). Meat is the first ingredient and the vet said its a fairly healthy balance. Out cats are on the purina one cat food too for the same reasons.

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

I had a long conversation with two women at per valu- I think we've found a great brand for a lot less.. I don't feel the need to overpay for a brand name.

I asked a out purina one- they weren't on board with that one.. In their opinion it was like feeding your dog take out every day. I am of the mind though, that if your animals are thriving on it- then that's working for you!!

I forget the name of the kind I'm looking at, but it's made in Canada and cost 39.99-45.99 for the big bag, depending on the kind you buy. It's also a life stages one- so it's appropriate for all stages- no needing to switch from puppy to adult.

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

I'm almost certain the people at pet value work on commission lol. I don't bother going in there anymore because every time I do they try to sell me something crazy expensive. When I got my kitten they insisted she needed wet food everyday and tried to sell me some crap that was $4/can. She never had any issue with the dry stuff.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Pet value will tell you "their" brand (I can't remember the name) is the "best" and "the same as" most brand name foods. The fact is it is not!

Hills (Science Diet) and Eukanuba do the majority of research on new, better pet foods. Purnia does quite a bit as does Royal Canin. I like to support the companies that are putting the money and effort into finding better ways to feed our pets. Hills is #1 when it comes to "new breakthrough" feeding for diseases. They put a lot of the money they make from the sale of their "maintenance" pet foods into research for disease specific feeding as well as researching nutrition for every day feeding.

Purina makes some of the best foods available (there veterinary brad as well as prop plan), they also make some of the worst (chow). Hills only makes decent foods, Eukanuba is owned by Iams (which is owned by a conglomerate). Euk is great Iams used to be very good (seeing more issues with dogs on Iams than before they were bought out). Royal Canin makes some veterinary foods, and a lot of "niche" foods.

There is this thing lately that says "corn gluten is evil" it is not! It is 100% protein that is around 99% digestible! The "real meat first" means little also since grains can be broken down to many parts. Each of those parts then weigh less than the meat in the food. But, the over all amount of grain/filler can still be more!

Price means little, though you will often feed less of most more expensive foods. The companies out there not doing feeding trials and developing new foods, are simply buying the top 3-4 brands, breaking them down to study them then trying to copy that food. They may make a good copy, they may make a poor copy. Also, they usually add some "tag" to it to make it more sale-able to the humans buying ("human grade" "meat first" "all natural"......most top brands are also "all natural" they just don't feel the need to use that as a selling point, they use the fact their food is better to sell it)

Pet food is not as easy to figure out as commercials would lead you to believe. It is so complicated actually that often a rep cannot tell you the "difference" between theirs and a competitor. My former boss once asked our one rep to tell him why her "urinary diet" was better than the competitors based on ingredients and dietary values listed on the bag. She told him there was no real way to do that! How is somebody at a pet food store supposed to be able to do it? They are taught to sell their foods using "key words" that customers want to hear.

Bottom line. Basically a good food is one that your pet does well on. I feed either Science Diet/Hills, Pro Plan or Eukanuba. I Always, always, always raise pups on Eukanuba now. I can't take back their growth stage. If I cheap out on puppy food and it affects their growth I can't fix that and it may not be apparent until they are older. My adults that live with me eat Euk, Prop plan or Science Diet.

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

I use to only use holistic solid gold (which I swear by for dogs with allergies or digestive issues),  but the downside is its price is just INSANE and I didnt like hiking across town to get it.  We have used orijen, royal canine and acana brand foods in the past for cat/dog all okay.  Currently using nature domain and doing really well.  Our golden has a sensitive tummy and food allergies to boot, so its imperative that we keep her issues under control (or fork out big bucks to vet for medication).  Every dog is different, my uncle fed his top ranked show hounds a home made concoction of co-op kibble, bread, lamb, eggs and barley and they all lived well into twenty years (one was 23).  Feed a quality food that suits your dog and budget, but try to avoid the supermarket brands and "fast food" variety of dog foods that look pretty, but do absolutely nothing for your dogs health.

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

we use Nutro Nature's Choice from Pet Valu. He was on Merricks brand from Pet Valu but I found he was quite smelly. We switched him a few months back and his coat seems nice, he smells better

#8 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

They discussed lifetime dog food.. It's a great price and seems to be a very good product.. They didn't say anything about their own brand?

Ever heard of lifetime? It's Canadian.

#9 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Lifetime is one I have fed with good results in the past. I do like that is really is a Canadian owned company. I looked at feeding it to the Husky I have at home right now but, the price was no different then feeding Eukanuba to her and I know that Eukanuba does feeding trials, not just a food copy. Most dog foods from the "big brands" that are sold in Canada are also made in Canada.

Royal Canin is owned by Medi-Cal (well, it was a merger as much as a take over). Medi-cal was started and still is based in Guelph. They bought Waltham also a few years ago. Waltham is the #1 brand in the UK and was the #1 for research in the world for research and development into pet feeding. RC still maintains and runs the Waltham pet nutrition center. (A place I'd just about anything to work. Or even to come back as a dog and live at LOL).

So, if buying Canadian is a biggie for someone Royal Canin is one to look at also.

Edited by Trea, 17 June 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#10 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

Any thoughts on performatrim?

#11 Trea

Trea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:26 PM

Any thoughts on performatrim?

that is the name I couldn't remember! It is the brand that pet value tries to say is the same as some veterinary brands even! I've had clients who went into pet value and ask about food to feed their "special diet" pets. They walk out with perfromatrim!  For that reason alone I would never reccomend it. I once had a owner get angry with us because his cat was supposed to be on a diet to prevent the cat from a urinary blockage. We told him the cat can ONLY eat "this" food. He went to pet value and he was told perfromatrim would "do the same thing as that expensive vet brand". Of course the cat blocked within a week of feeding that food. He was mad at us because we charged him for the second unblocking and hospitalization of his cat when he was feeding a "good food that was the same as the one we prescribed"!

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:55 PM

I feed my dog and my cats the Costco brand food.  I compared ingredients and nutrient values and such and it came out equal or better than many pricier foods on the market.  Costco also sells another brand that is a "fancier" brand name one/more well know (Nature's Domain maybe?).  I can't remember the name, but it's supposed to be pricy elsewhere and get good reviews.  The best diet is probably raw.