16 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

So I recently realized that a) I trained in a field that I will likely never, ever find work in and b) my training was lacking in some areas so now I'm faced with either going back to school to makeup what training I feel could be improved upon, cutting my losses and going back to school for something else completely different that has employ,ent prospects in ourshit hole city or just taking a menial job doing something I detest because I'm at a breaking point. I have no clue what to do and feel myself sinking deeper and deeper into a nasty depression that has completely ruined my relationship and turned me into a hanous beatch on the best of days. Im at a loss here.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

c) Take RMT in January with your friend ;)

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

If you can then go back to school again.

I wish I wasn't 42yrs old. I would love to go back to school but, I can't see me taking a 3yr course (anything I'd want to take is at least 3yrs) then having that debt at that age.

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I am in the same boat as you. No jobs really in my field or they require eduction or experience I dont have. I have debated going back to schpool for something else but I already have a large student loan I cant pay off. I agree it really is depressing

#5 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

lol...Jen, I don't think my wrists or hands could do it :( I have a huge student loan, but also be $7000 unused funds to take something else. Wondering if it might e worth it in the long run?

#6 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sorry that you are going through this. Windsor is just a horrible place anymore if you don't already have a decent job. I know so many people who have great educations and can't find work in their field or just working part time with no job security or benefits. Going back to school is a tough decision, if you choose a course that is in demand right now will it still be in demand 2 or 3 years from now when you finish school? Another problem is that employers know that with so many unemployed they can pick and choose who they hire, pay them minimum wage, hand out crappy hours and treat their employees poorly because people are so desperate to work. Have you tried the Unemployed Help Centre, they have training programs and counselling available, they might give you some options that you haven't thought of?

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

The unemployed help center suggested to me the same course you took. I actually laughed at them. I really want to take either X-ray tech or Ultrasound tech. But, Ultrasound is 7 semesters and X-ray is in London (and 7 semesters). I could live close to Fanshaw for free but, I'm not sure I would want to be gone all week even if I did want to get into that kind of debt at my age.

#8 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

I thought ultrasound looked real neat but all the math really scared me. I am horrible at math

#9 one_new_mom

one_new_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:56 AM

Sorry you are going through this.

#10 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:40 PM

I thought ultrasound looked real neat but all the math really scared me. I am horrible at math

I debated taking this in the future, but I don't have physics, nor could I get the mark required to get in. I've also heard this is an extremely hard course. Their graduating class last year was 5!

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Already working with the unemployment help center, but obviously they can't only work with what's available to them. Second Time Careers really screwed a lot of people in this city and continues too over saturate several industries in our area. Trade Schools are becoming undesirable to many prospective employers as a result. I too looked at sonography years back, but the timeline and location for training ( either London or Michigan ) made it undesirable at the time. It's a very high demand profession in this area, but with the new program at St. Clair, the now available positions will soon be filled. It is really tough to predict what jobs will be available six month, one year, two years down the road. It's almost better to go into business for yourself if you can come up with a unique idea or something that this area lacks.

Edited by vals, 28 June 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#12 Tired Mom

Tired Mom

Joined September 2006

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

I'm sorry lady, I really wish he would of listened to my recommendation for you. But then again, I like you, and am happy that you aren't inheriting hell. Not that he was hell, just the constant insanity from every direction.

Don't give up, Murphy's Law just might be waiting for you to take a step in another direction to land a phenominal offer in your lap.

If you need to vent my ears are available (especially since you're a fellow night owl, and these days I feel like a vampire)

#13 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Already working with the unemployment help center, but obviously they can't only work with what's available to them. Second Time Careers really screwed a lot of people in this city and continues too over saturate several industries in our area. Trade Schools are becoming undesirable to many prospective employers as a result. I too looked at sonography years back, but the timeline and location for training ( either London or Michigan ) made it undesirable at the time. It's a very high demand profession in this area, but with the new program at St. Clair, the now available positions will soon be filled. It is really tough to predict what jobs will be available six month, one year, two years down the road. It's almost better to go into business for yourself if you can come up with a unique idea or something that this area lacks.

I know someone that took the Sonography program locally and their graduating class was 5 people because the program is difficult.

#14 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'd love to take that sonography program!! I would totally do it, if I were you! I was told nursing was super hard, and it was, but it was definitely doable!!

I hate hearing ppl defeat themselves without even trying!! Everything is attainable if you're willing to put the work it!

#15 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:32 AM

DH just graduated after 3 years in the Civil Engineering course and guess what?  No one is hiring...and if they are they want experience.  How does  one get experience if no one will hire?  He's frustrated too.  Hang in there.

#16 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Be happy and do something you love, even if  it means stepping back and going back to school.  You have lots of working years ahead of you.

#17 wino

wino

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

So I recently realized that a) I trained in a field that I will likely never, ever find work in and b) my training was lacking in some areas so now I'm faced with either going back to school to makeup what training I feel could be improved upon, cutting my losses and going back to school for something else completely different that has employ,ent prospects in ourshit hole city or just taking a menial job doing something I detest because I'm at a breaking point. I have no clue what to do and feel myself sinking deeper and deeper into a nasty depression that has completely ruined my relationship and turned me into a hanous beatch on the best of days. Im at a loss here.

Dear vals,

Sorry for missing your post. I wish that I could have read here last year so I could give some inspiration. I totally understood the whole process Mrs. vals was going through. I can feel how the horrible depression was going deeper and deeper in my heart due to harshness related to financial and career. Top on that, I also have language difficulties. I am an immigrant. English is my second foreign languages. It is so slow for me to build communication skill in English. the depression even impacts my behavior heavily. I can fully understand what Mrs vals describes here about depression in real life. It is so sad to see hopeless people like me. It is only getting worse and worse.

Now I am fully recovered with business-inspired person. It has been a long process and takes several years to figure out what was going wrong. After recovery, I can see so many opportunities out there and It never ends.

After going through the ordeal for several years, my advice would be this. First of all, you need strong family support both financially and spiritually. It is the most important for recovery from clinical depression. Secondly, be very, very cautious to consider going back to school if you are in the situation of being desperate to earn money because you are suffered financially. It won't make your earning power stronger but only getting you worse because you are not teenage kids. You are getting older and older. You have a lot of burdens and responsibility for raising family and educating kids and supporting the loving partner. So stay where you are and what you can afford. Be realistic and productive and innovative.That is the only way, which I can understand, to get back on your feet.

The next question is how and where you get in the business. It is my job to invite people to join the group and to inspire them in business. The business model is not new. People in the group act like in the real business company. You are doing the assignment in your pace. After you gain ability to do job on your own, you start to get free food paid by the company. Remember you have your own business for living. So what I talk here is your extra. After you have ability to earn free food from the company, you continue go on for the amout of paycheck. It may not be monthly but you definitely can see the future.

The only way I can support the business is the new technology. People is resource. Without people, we cannot do anything. However, if anyone think the way like I want $10+/hour job. We may never get the job in our current skill set except for going to WalMart.

So be positive, keep belief stronger, join the group. One thing that I can promise is you never get depression.

What is qualification to join the group? You live in Windsor-Essex area so you can go to the meeting occasionally. That is only criterion.

Still not convincing? PM me.

Good luck my friends

Wino

Edited by wino, 03 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.