13 replies to this topic

#1 scottishjo

scottishjo

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi Moms, I have been told that its much cheaper to buy your groserys in Detroit, is this true and what happens at immigration on way back? Is there a limit as to how much you can bring back?  I'm finding food really expensive here compared to the UK,  any details on this would be greatful thanks

#2 single_mom

single_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

You can find some great deals at Kroger, Meijers and even the target/walmart there. A Super Mario blanket I wanted to get my son here in Windsor was 39.98 and in the US it was 22.88! I know there are limits to what you can buy like eggs you can only bring 2 dozen over per order/person, I'm sure you can find the list of limits quite easily with a search. My best friend also waits and gets her gas there cause it's cheaper.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

Dairy is a limit of $20/vehicle. Anything considered "food" (aka not junk food) is duty free. You have to be careful about brining back produce, but meat, dairy, frozen we've never had an issue.

#4 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Many things are cheaper (some by a lot!), but you have to know your prices. In my opinion, if you're not willing to pay duty on your purchases then don't shop there. So I keep that in mind always when deciding if something is a good deal or not. (I'm not saying that you would, but many of us who grew up in Windsor have worn old shoes over and our parents would throw them out once we got new ones. To me, not worth the risk!)

That being said, the customs officers rarely stick to the exact regulations. For example, I believe you can bring $100 worth of merchandise back after a 24 hour stay (may have been raised to $200 recently). However, most will let your through without paying duty on this amount if you were gone just a few hours for a shopping trip. With $100 per person in the vehicle (although they don't really count children since they aren't shopping), you should be able to cross without paying duty. And even if you do every now and then, it's really not that much especially if you've crossed many times and not paid. We shop there a lot and don't have to pay very frequently. 

Now this $100-200 limit does not include groceries or kids clothes. I've been in a car with five of us who declared $700 in groceries and we were waved right through. I always mention the total value of goods in the car as $____ groceries, $____ kids clothes, and $____ in other merchandise. They will ask what kinds of things you bought further if they want to know. Just be careful. Just because something is bought at a grocery store, does not make it a grocery (ex. shampoo), and just because your kid wears it, doesn't make it kid's clothes (ex. kid's clothes=kid's sizes, not adult). I know there is also a limit on the amount of cheese that you can cross, but it's a pretty absurd amount for normal household consumption. I think there may also be a limit of one turkey per adult in the car. 

As far as grocery deals, it is sometimes amazing! Meijer and Kroger will offer their 10 for $10 sales which are usually pretty good. You can view their flyers online. You can print coupons from coupons.com and just use a Detroit ZIP code. If you get a Kroger card (free), you also get discounts on certain items. It's not unusual for my bill to go down by at least $40 when they swipe my card. Just be careful. The products aren't always equal to the quality or taste of Canadian products. There are certain things I will only buy there, and there are things I will only buy here. 

I would suggest going with someone if you're perfectly comfortable driving or navigating there, but once you get the hang of it, it's no big deal. Good luck and happy shopping!

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

You can get terrific deals especially the basics; milk $1.99/gallon, bread $1.00 for a large loaf, eggs, $1.00/dozen, shredded cheese $2.00/bag. All of these things are double if not triple the price here. I also find a much better selection there on most items. My daughter went today to get a highchair for $27, it's $74 here. You do need to know your prices and find items on sale. I save a fortune with savings cards and coupons which makes the deals even sweeter. I do my grocery shopping there often and very rarely have been sent in at customs. I also declare the amount I spent on groceries separately from what I spent on general merchandise. We usually average $400-$500 total for everyone in the car. You will probably get pulled over if you buy alcohol or tobacco, duty is very high on these and they are pretty strict on those items.

For coupons, my favorites are:

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/

http://www.couponmom.com/

#6 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Something to consider is quality, though..  Make sure the milk and dairy products you buy are from cows that are free of growth hormones and antibiotics.. (I know some here still try to get away with using them, but at least there is a law in place.. US doesn't even have a law against using this horrible stuff!) US milk also has a higher sugar content, and you can definitely taste the difference.  Cheap bread is also usually much lower in fiber, which is not worth the savings, IMO.  Bread should have around 5g of fiber per two slices, and I'm pretty sure you're lucky if you're getting 1g per slice to two slices of the cheap stuff.

The 10/10$ sales can be great, but honestly it's mostly for processed junk food.  Cookies, chips, candy, juices, frozen processed foods, etc.  Sometimes they will have baby carrots, or something in there, but it's mostly refined junk food.  One time they had it on Greek yogurt, and THAT was awesome!  Stocked up for that! :)

I like to shop there on occasion, but in my humble opinion, I'd rather fresh and local if possible.  I will definitely pay more for quality food.

#7 Attached Amber

Attached Amber

My Babies are Attached

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,797 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:37 PM

Don't forget the puss and blood!

:popcorn

Something to consider is quality, though..  Make sure the milk and dairy products you buy are from cows that are free of growth hormones and antibiotics.. (I know some here still try to get away with using them, but at least there is a law in place.. US doesn't even have a law against using this horrible stuff!) US milk also has a higher sugar content, and you can definitely taste the difference.  Cheap bread is also usually much lower in fiber, which is not worth the savings, IMO.  Bread should have around 5g of fiber per two slices, and I'm pretty sure you're lucky if you're getting 1g per slice to two slices of the cheap stuff.

The 10/10$ sales can be great, but honestly it's mostly for processed junk food.  Cookies, chips, candy, juices, frozen processed foods, etc.  Sometimes they will have baby carrots, or something in there, but it's mostly refined junk food.  One time they had it on Greek yogurt, and THAT was awesome!  Stocked up for that! :)

I like to shop there on occasion, but in my humble opinion, I'd rather fresh and local if possible.  I will definitely pay more for quality food.

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm weird about food in the States because the standards and regulations on food quality are very lax as compared to Canada. I read an article while waiting at the clinic one day about the FDA in the US and the number of food related illnesses that send people to the hospital each year and it was frightening.  Meat and dairy where by far the worse.  I know its cheaper, but you can't put a price on quality.  Thats just my opinion. 

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

thank you. I don't do any groceries in the states. I don't buy a lot of pre-made or packaged foods. I refuse to buy meat there and I'm picky on milk because I don't want hormones or antibiotics in it. Canada has longer withdrawl times for most medications before milk/meat can be used for human consumption than the US does. (there was a time I knew almost every drug's withdrawl time from milk US and Canada!). With produce I can never remember what is allowed and not allowed ot cross, but then, fresh veggies/friuts are not that much more here, especially if you want to buy local as much as possible.

Even when BF and I were both unemployed I wouldn't go to the states. I honestly could not see the savings for us. I wasn't going to risk our health just because I was broke and could save a few dollars a week!

I Do other shopping over the border though!

#10 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

Generally, you get what you pay for in the US - grocery-wise at least (as has been said). I agree, the milk does not taste the same - although I rarely consume cow's milk anymore. Do you want to save more or do you want to have a healthier diet?

I'd also rather see people spending money in our city/province/country than handing it over in the US.

#11 scottishjo

scottishjo

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thank you everyone for your comments, I didnt know the stuff about hormones etc so thats defenetly somthing to think about, I think I would much rather soend a few more dollars and keep my family safe and well, I will probebly go accross to be nosy lol, and will definetly look at the sugar/fibre values. your comment have been very interesting and I will look at the coupons just incase I see a bargin :-) thank you so much again moms x

#12 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Love shopping for groceries over there.  Has saved us A LOT of money.  So much cheaper AND more variety!  I buy my produce at Silversteins every week and that cuts my produce bill big time!

#13 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

Love shopping for groceries over there.  Has saved us A LOT of money.  So much cheaper AND more variety!  I buy my produce at Silversteins every week and that cuts my produce bill big time!

Love Silversteins for produce too!! 

#14 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:50 PM

I love Silverstein too just recently started going there and I'm mad I didn't start going sooner as for shopping in the states I go on aregular basis but I am finding there prices are creeping up every time I go