21 replies to this topic

#1 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

So I had posted on my FB about looking for an occasional babysitter for the odd time my husband and I want a night out for dinner, or run some errands with no children etc.. One of my friends recommended care.com. I am not a fan of finding a babysitter for my 4 year old on a website like that, or kijiji for that matter. Something about it seems uncomfortable.

I decided to entertain the idea of care.com and was SHOCKED at what the women there are asking for an hourly rate. $10-12. Are they serious? I feel like I'm being punked or something! If we decided to go out for dinner from 7-10p.m. I would have to pay them $30 is not more, and our child goes to bed at 8 or 8:30, so she would just be sitting and watching tv for the remaining time. I am not paying someone $10/hr to watch tv.. They must be new!

I used to watch 2 kids from 7ish and spend the night. The mom used to get home around 1 or 2 in the morning and I got $40. That was plenty.. Has the cost really gone up that much?

At that rate, I should tax them while I'm at it ;) ... If this is how much people want, we will never go out. My mil normally would watch Noah, but lately when we ask its the same stupid excuse "I have to clean my house"... We asked her on Saturday to watch Noah from 6-10pm, and she said no because she had to clean... She is only one person, had ALL day, plus Sunday... I know she isn't obligated to watch him, but she moved from Toronto to be here with us to help with Noah, and now its always this excuse.

So we need someone else.. I just don't know where to start, and I am not willing to pay them $10-12/hr.. That's just insane. Its a babysitting job on occasion, not a full time position. I am not a business, I don't think I should have to pay minimum wage for crying out loud.. Am I being ridiculous?

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

That is crazy, however if you go through an agency you will have to pay the sitter as well as the agency. I used to get $2-$3/hour tops, it was quite a while back. I would think $4-$5/hr would be plenty especially if the child is sleeping most of the time. My daughter had my grandson in a home daycare one morning a week and she paid $20 for 5 hours and that included a snack and lunch.
Do you know a responsible teenager? Maybe you could swap babysitting services with a friend.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

We pay $5/hr or $4 when she's sleeping. We do a $20 minimum as well to make it worth her time coming out. We pay a little extra if Grace was difficult or took quite some time to go to sleep (or is still up at like 11 when we get home). Basically I try to remember everything I hated about babysitting and make sure I make up for it when my child is a pest lol. On average it costs us about $30 for a sitter for a night out.

#4 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

That is crazy, however if you go through an agency you will have to pay the sitter as well as the agency. I used to get $2-$3/hour tops, it was quite a while back. I would think $4-$5/hr would be plenty especially if the child is sleeping most of the time. My daughter had my grandson in a home daycare one morning a week and she paid $20 for 5 hours and that included a snack and lunch.
Do you know a responsible teenager? Maybe you could swap babysitting services with a friend.

We don't know any teenagers which makes it hard to find someone... I'm thinking online is the only place I will find someone.. ugh. I hate this part.

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

What area do you live in? Maybe one of the moms on here could recommend someone close by

#6 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

If you are near us my daughter is very responsible and loves to babysit.  Other moms on here can attest to that.

#7 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:19 AM

Ali what area are you in?

#8 DivineMrsM

DivineMrsM

Member since October 2005

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

I pay our girl $10 for the first hour and $5 for each additional. Not horrible...

#9 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:29 AM

I wouldn't pay $10-$12 hours for a babysitter.  I did have a teenager that I paid $5 an hour which is more in line with what I think it's worth.  She moved so isn't really available anymore so my neighbour is the only one I know now who can babysit and she charges $8.  I still find that horribly offensive because I have 1 child that has *never* given anyone any problems with anything.  He's always fed and ready for bed (which is by 7:30 ... shortly after I leave for the night).  All they have to do is have him go pee and read him a story.  My neighbour does do my dishes and tidy up when she's here, but neither of those jobs are very big ... maybe 10 minutes worth of work.  My last night out cost me $150 between dinner, drinks and the babysitter.

#10 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm in south Windsor.

#11 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

I don't think those prices are unreasonable because, from what I can see on that site, they are all adults. Therefore, they should be claiming taxes. Plus I don't see anything wrong with an adult requesting at least minimum wage. If you want cheaper, find a teenager or family friend.

#12 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:45 PM

Obviously that site is more like a business and yes, it sounds like a "job" for them that they should be claiming on taxes and they may be paying a fee to be on that site too and you would be paying more for an adult than a teenager as well.  Hopefully you can find someone on here who has a teenager and who is nearby you.  I have 2 nieces who babysat for elainesj on here.  She posted on here years ago looking for a babysitter and I responded on here on their behalf (the older one at that time) and it worked out great.  Now the older one is busy with a "real job" but the younger one might be available - highschool, very responsible, south Windsor area. 

We had a hard time finding babysitters once we had kids because we didn't know local people and also because we don't go out much.  Luckily we have found a couple over the years although the first two are on to adult life now, lol.  I pay $6-7/hour, we have 2 kids, and round up to next hour.  I had been paying $7/hr when we had an age 20ish babysitter who was in teacher's college and had other kid training and drove herself here when I had a scheduled thing weekly for a few months.  Now I have a gr 7 girl whose mom I know and we have to pick her up/drop off at least one way so $6/hr for now - she is very organized and does a lot of babysitting for other people.  You pretty much are going to have to pay more if your babysitter is older, as they can work at a job once they're around 16 and make minimum wage. 

It's still expensive to pay a (younger) kid that money for us to go out, esp when you consider a full day at daycare with lunch, etc included is $34-$38 but it's not that often and it's just an expense of being an adult with kids!

#13 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

We pay $10 an hour BUT it is for 3 children AND she is older (finished first year of post secondary) and I want to keep her and make it worth it for her to babysit and not go out with her friends LOL My dd is old enough to watch her siblings for short periods of time but not for late evenings just yet. We don't use a sitter too often and usually pair the night out with g/c from gifts or we cash in air miles, airmiles, scene points to offset the cost of the evening.

#14 Danielle

Danielle

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I pay $10/hour, but I have 3 little kids that are a pain in the butt to put to bed and my sitter is a University student. Yes it hurts a little to shell out sometimes $80 at the end of a wedding or banquet, but I take comfort in the fact that they love her and I know they are safe and having fun.

#15 Gillian

Gillian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

I don't think those prices are unreasonable because, from what I can see on that site, they are all adults. Therefore, they should be claiming taxes. Plus I don't see anything wrong with an adult requesting at least minimum wage. If you want cheaper, find a teenager or family friend.

I am pretty sure that $50 I would be giving them for the night, is going straight to their pocket.. not any sort of taxes. They are college students for the majority, so I get they want money, but I personally think its extreme. Perhaps times have changed..

What area do you live in? Maybe one of the moms on here could recommend someone close by

I am near Central and Tecumseh

#16 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:53 AM

I pay 4hrs 5 kids 50$ and plus 10$ tip
Mostly even night going out

#17 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

If I can pay more to do
Why me and Alex go out only a few times out a year

#18 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

I can see an adult charging that amount.  A teen would probably charge much less (around $4-5/hr.).  I would suggest trying out a local high school.  Ask for a referral from the guidance counselor.  That's actually how I got a couple of my babysitting jobs when I was a teen - the guidance counselor recommended me to families when they asked for a responsible teen babysitter referral.

#19 harleyrae

harleyrae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:50 PM

I have a mature 13 yr old who would be willing to babysit for anyone looking for an occasional sitter. She is great with kids :) if interested message me via mom2mom
Then we can set up a time for her to
Meet you and your children before they are left alone to make sure all involved are comfortable with each other. We live in south Windsor.

#20 Leanne

Leanne

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:07 AM

I find the $10 per hour quite a bit.  when my brother babysits we give about $5 ( my kids are 12 and 8)  but it is usually to get my youngest off to bed then my oldest is pretty easy.  I remember babysitting my first full time summer ( in grade 8)  I was NOT mature enough to do that- ( and I was a mature kid)  looking back, I shake my head!!  so I do think now if I was looking for someone I would look for someone older and pay the $$$

#21 harleyrae

harleyrae

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Yeah being 12 and doing it fulltime is too much. Being an occasional sitter may have been better for you.

#22 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Why not try looking for an ECE student.  I have a couple friends who did regular childcare  on weekends while in school in order to get good references. You could advertise looking for an ECE student looking to get experience with available reference. They usually have an update police clearance because its mandatory for school.  Im lucky my mum or sister does the childminding, but I would not be paying minimum wage to have someone sit in my house watching tv all night.