10 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I just noticed that Old Navy now offers Girls Plus Size and Boys Husky clothing that goes from XL-XXL.   I was a little shocked!  I know childhood obesity os on the rise, but Ive never seen a plus size section from age 5-14 before.  A little saddened by it really.

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

It is sad. Just the fact that they offer it must mean that there is a good market for it. I think it all points to the fact that children are not active anymore.

#3 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

what's even more sad is that no one would dare describe my daughter as "obese" or even "over-weight" but she is almost 8 y/o, stands 4'11, weighs 100 lbs, wears a women's size 8 shoe.... and is "too big" for Old Navy's "regular" size!!   Retailers have started downsizing kids clothes too and it pisses me off!! 

eta... is wearing a girls size 14.... but their size 14 regular jean is too tight in the waist!!! 

Edited by cbarker78, 22 July 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#4 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

When I was growing up, just after 13 and puberty, I chunked out and at that time the only store my Mom shopped at was Kmart. My youngest brother was thick his whole childhood, but that wasn't because he was fat. The only place that really sold husky pants in his size was Sears. At age 14, I was already 5'5", wearing a size 9 shoe and nothing fit that was supposed to be "kids clothing". I would have to wear Women's clothing, which really sucked because I couldn't wear the latest styles. My style was t-shirts and sweatpants and I would be teased by that because I wasn't athletic by any stretch.

I am saddened by the fact that Parents are not helping their children learn responsible eating habits. I have a friend here in Green Bay who just happens to work at the Golden Corral and I visit her on Sunday morning. I am amazed at how much and badly the kids eat here. There are a lot of good food choices on the buffet, but the parents do not direct their kids there. They let them have free-run of the food. I love it because there is fresh cut fruit, as well as the salad bar being open for breakfast.

I also hate that the "designers" cannot make a size that is consistent. It is that way with all sexes and ages of clothing. Just look when we go in to buy a pair of jeans. How many of us can actually go into the store, pull something off the rack, and go home knowing that it will fit 100%. Also, they are NOW calling size 14 plus-size. Back when I was a kid, size 18 was the start of plus-size.

I am thankful that my kids love their fruits and vegetables, know what a balanced meal is, and that they need to only eat junk food and sweets in moderation. That I am not punishing them when I tell them no sweet stuff after a certain time, that they can only have a small bowl of blah-blah, and that they can have this and not that. I am truly blessed.

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

what's even more sad is that no one would dare describe my daughter as "obese" or even "over-weight" but she is almost 8 y/o, stands 4'11, weighs 100 lbs, wears a women's size 8 shoe.... and is "too big" for Old Navy's "regular" size!!   Retailers have started downsizing kids clothes too and it pisses me off!! 

eta... is wearing a girls size 14.... but their size 14 regular jean is too tight in the waist!!! 

I have noticed that the clothing has been downsized too. I you go to many stores at the mall a ladies XL is about a size 6. That doesn't do much for a girl's self esteem. Today's society is telling young women that they are fat if they are larger than a size 2. 

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

My just turned 4 year old stands at 3'8, 45lbs and wears a girls size 6x-7/8 depending. This is the little girl who was born at 4lbs 13oz. They need to get rid of the idea that all kids are created equal. They're obviously not.

#7 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:24 AM

The sizing issue for most woman's clothes is due to the fact that just about every company now outsources to China.  Have you looked at an average Chinese woman???  Their size large is basically our size small, so you can imagine why we are seeing size issue in woman's wear.  As for children, I find the clothes tend to fit the average.  dd is petite and at 4 years old can actually still fit into a 2/3 in some stuff…lol  All children grow at different rates, which is why they have X clothing for toddlers and young children in most stores.  I was just shocked at plus size clothing for kids.  Clothiers have tried to ensure children at all ages can be fashion forward, thats why we have tween and teen lines, but plus size, kids are cruel.  I can only image what it will be like at gym if someone noticed a tag that say "husky boy" or "plus size girl" :(

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Actually the downsizing of women's clothes is a marketing ploy. I read about it years ago.

"everybody" wanted to be a size 6 or 8. Since the average woman was closer to a 14-16 they made a started labeling sizes 2 "smaller".

As for the fact that old navy now sees a need for larger kids clothes is sad.

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have noticed that the clothing has been downsized too. I you go to many stores at the mall a ladies XL is about a size 6. That doesn't do much for a girl's self esteem. Today's society is telling young women that they are fat if they are larger than a size 2. 

See, I've found the opposite lots of times.  I used to often wear women's size M-L clothing, but now in many stores I wear size XS or S (and losing 10 lbs. wouldn't make me go down two sizes in clothing).  People call it vanity sizing - marking something a S that used to be considered a L because it makes you feel better to wear a smaller size.

I'm glad that heavier kids can wear more fashionable clothes nowadays, but it is sad that we need a whole line of clothing for obese children.  I do think genetics plays a part to some extent in a person's body makeup, but diet definitely plays the biggest part (barring thyroid issues or other health issues) and it's so much easier for a parent to not buy the junk food and not have it in the house, or limit it with a young child, than for an obese child to turn things around when they are older and change their eating habits and lose all the weight they put on as a child.  As a daycare provider, I've had children in my daycare who were heavier, but all of them were what I would call "solid", not overweight.

#10 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

I agree that a child who is obese growing up, is pretty much destined to have life long weight problems.. Not always, but very often.  Why wouldn't parents want to help prevent that?? 

#11 rwf05

rwf05

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

old navy has offered a plus selection for a long while for kids,  only available online, cause who wants the cubby kids in the store right, well other then the parents that want to watch and judge the parent, you know cheap amusement for those with too much time on their hands.  The XXL is a 301/2 inch waist and a 31 inch inseam.  Basically the plus sizes start at size 8 and it adds 3 inches to the waist, also helpful if you have a child with short legs, and longer torso.