9 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

Does anyone else deal with a dog (dogs) that hate the rain????  My Golden has always had issues with storms, but this year has started acting up when it sprinkles and flat out refuses to go out.  Our Beagle seeing this has decided to do the same and I am now faced with TWO dogs who pee indoors when the weather isn't to their liking.  Its driving me loopy!!!!!  Even if I drag them out (yes I literally have to drag them kicking and screaming) and leave them for 10-15 min, they must hide out and hold it and wait to come in and then use the house as a toilet.  The Golden has even peed on my bed a few times in an attempt to hide what she is doing.  Any ideas how to fix this.  Im tired of washing all my floors almost daily because we are living in monsoon windsor this summer :(  

**pee pads are not an option, they derail training and teach a dog that it is okay to pee indoors before anyone suggests it**

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

I have the same problem, if I see it getting dark I try to get them outside before it starts raining. 

#3 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Patches, the dog we just lost, has huge issues with rain. We were told to help desensitive him to the rain, sit with him under a sprinkler. This way he has the comfort of you as well as the feel of the drops falling on him. I do have to admit, it did work to an extent in that he would go outside for me, but would want special treatment from my DH ~ ~ Oh wait ~ ~ he ALWAYS expected special treatment from my DH. So, I guess it did work.

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

My Yorkie will not go out in the rain either. he will hold it until the rain stops or he will pee onmy kitchen floor! I have tried same as you just throwing him out in the rain but he will just sit my the door and wait for me to let him in

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

I have to accompany milo outside and he will pee as fast as he can all the while staring at me with a pathetic face and then run to the door

#6 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well Im glad Im not the only one. I put my two out for half an hour this morning before the rain came because I could see the sky going dark.  Not sure what they did in that time, but as soon as they came in, the Beagle peed on the floor.  Its a out of control!!!!! After what just happened,  Im thinking of crating whenever it rains, which seems cruel because its been raining none stop lately, but I honestly cannot handle it anymore.  Its a disgusting and completely unacceptable habit!!!!!!!

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

we are getting a crate. I am not mopping pee off the floor anymore I am tired of it. he knows how to go outside

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

I've had lots who refuse to go out in the rain until it becomes "necessary". I once had to drag my Akita outside after 24hrs straight of rain. She wouldn't potty in the house but, she would hold it for so long I was afraid for her! Seriously, 24hrs once!!! Most won't go more than 12-16hrs but, she was horrible! I would crate her to prevent accidents and eventually basically carry her out and refuse to let her in (stay out too UGH!) until she went. I would either keep her on leash or stand in the kennel/potty yard with her until she went. If she didn't after 10-15min she was back in her crate!

When you know you may have an issue it is best to go out with the dog than just let it out. I keep trying to explain this to my dad. He'll tell me "she was out for hours then peed on the floor after being in for 5min". I always ask..."did she pee outside? When?". He can never answer me. I remind him over, and over...she may have went the minute you let her out then it was play time until you brought her in. Whenever accidents start happening in the house, no matter the reason, you have to go back to basic potty training. Go outside with them on leash and praise them for doing their job.

The husky that is currently living with me won't doesn't like it but, she will go out, do a very, very quick potty then want back in. But, watching her try to avoid the wet grass is commical!

#9 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

I did the stand out and get soaked with them yesterday afternoon and all that happened was me getting cranky and rained on….grrrrrr  Bloody dogs are so fricken stubborn!!!!!  I stood out for a good 10 minutes before giving up.  Thankfully it stopped raining about 20 minutes later and I was able to chuck them out for a good hour and we had no accidents after that and a normal night.  I love my dogs..I love my dogs….I love my dogs :)

#10 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

That would be Roxy too. She pulls back at the door if she senses rain and won't go out unless I pull on the leash. She will just sit at my feet and won't do her thing.

I have learned that if a storm or rain is coming, I will take her out before it gets here.