10 replies to this topic

#1 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

M2M member from the start

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Has anyone dealt with these people? Bad or good experience?

I'm asking for someone else. She rented a place from them and wants out of her lease. They said give a 400? penalty fee and find a tenant. She found someone to take over her lease. They went and dropped of an application and was told to check back in 3 days. They did, and was told that nobody came in and dropped off the application and that they can't sublease.

At first this person asked the landlord direct and was told give 60days and she can leave, but rent for all said no, she cant do that. So as it stands now she will have to keep this place until lease runs out(approx.5months) because rent 4 all won't let her leave. This place is a mess. The outer screens are all ripped and the landlord has promised from day 1 to fix them. He always shows up when she is not home. She said he can go in to get them but he doesn't. She can't leave the windows open because flies and mosquitos come in. The water was running rusty for the first 2 weeks, the bathtub kept backing up with food. The landlord bought some $store drain cleaner, didn't work, then bought the good stuff. The floor space heater in the livingroom has wires hanging out which was to be fixed but hasn't.

Who would she contact in city council to get a firecracker under somebodys butt(not literally) ?

Edited by Lilacmom, 27 July 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

is her les with rent for all for landlord

is it in les that adove stuff would be fix

did she do a walk through befor she moved in making note of thing not fix yet

i think if she to get landlord to help

and its gone no where

then try http://windsor.ontar....ca/index.phtml

#3 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

that link doesn't work

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

http://windsor.ontar....ca/index.phtml

#5 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

I clicked on the link and scrolled down the list. When I found the one needed, I clicked it and it says webpage can't be found. I says the same for the rest.

#6 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

weid

#7 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE: Q8: The landlord is refusing to make needed repairs in my apartment. How can I make the landlord carry out their maintenance obligations?

A8: If the landlord does not make repairs on your verbal request, or has a history of not making repairs, put your request in writing, including the date of the letter, and keep a copy.

If the landlord still hasn't done the repairs in a reasonable time, then call your city Building Inspector to make an appointment for them to come out and look at the problem. If the inspector won't come then ask to speak to their supervisor. Get a copy of the inspectors report to save for your records.

If you are still having problems getting repairs done, you will want to contact the Investigation and Enforcement Unit, at 416-585-7214, or outside of the 416 calling area, toll free at 1-888-772-9277.

If problems persists, then you may want to contact your lawyer or Community Legal Clinic, City Councillor, and maybe even apply for a rent reduction on the basis of lack of repair being a reduction of services in your apartment.

Edited by sims, 26 July 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Lilacmom

Lilacmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Thankyou....that's what I was looking for

#9 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

anytime

#10 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

I'm usually complaining about crapy tenants....lol...but I feel for you. Renters actually ave more rights. If you go down to the city 400 building you can file a greivence with the landlord/tenant tribunal. There is a small fee I beleive, but it's worth t, especially considering the landlord and/or the lease agent has not maintained the property as required.

#11 JeepMom

JeepMom

aka JeepFreak

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:35 PM

she should go to the housing tribunal

she should also look at putting her rent money with the housing tribunal...basically it is on hold until things are fixed and once they are the tribunal will release the money to the landlord. Never with hold rent on your own, always go through the tribunal.

Always document everything. That way it is easier for her to put a claim in against her land lord.