sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

i am talking about in few years not right now

but what is age of silibs babysitting they brother and sister

is it 12yrs old like a normal babysitter?

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I would say 12 and even at that depends on the ages of the other children. My parents left me "with" my sister and I know how untrustworthy she was and it leaves me Leary. I was often left alone while she went off with her friends or beaten with things such as wooden spoons and hair brushes when I didn't do what she wanted.

#3 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

I think it depends a lot more on the child in question, rather than a particular age.  Are they responsible? Do they take proper care of themselves and their things?  Are they sensitive and caring with others, or are they still predominantly selfish?  There are a lot of factors to consider.

#4 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

They are legally allowed to babysit their sibbling at the age of 11 and in daylight hours. At 12 they can babysit anyone at anytime. Although it is ofcourse based on maturity.

#5 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Agree...it all depends on maturity.  It's also a good idea to put them through a babysitting course.  My MDS is 11 and I can leave him with the YDS for a little bit.  And we are not far.

#6 Ali

Ali

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Red Cross in my opinion has the best program. They can take it starting at the age of 10 I believe.

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

for sure go by maturity not age. My ds is 11 almost 12 but I woud not leave him to babysit his sister at all. My situation is slightly different though

#8 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 09:50 PM

Maturity is the key factor.  I'd say 11 or 12 if the older child is mature.  A lot also depends on how many younger siblings they are watching and the ages and behavior of the younger siblings.  A home alone course and a babysitting course would be very helpful as well before leaving a child home alone at all, let alone with a sibling.

#9 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

^^ what they said.... I think I was about 12 or 13 when I used to watch my little brothers (three of them!!)) and it was more at night than daytime... 

A lot depends on the maturity level and competency of the child... If they are able to take care of themselves, and show that they are able & willing to help out around the home, then go for it. It helps (you and the child) to ease into it. Start with maybe an hour at a time, and see how they do...