5 replies to this topic

#1 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

So the new grocery store opened within the last week or so, and we stopped in to go our groceries last night. We had no idea how small this store was and how the lack of variety and choices were few and afar between. They have 5 aisles I think, a meat section that offers less than 15 choices for everything i.e pork, beef, chicken, their aisles have the bare minimums on items and name brands. We needed fabric softner and they only offered 2 kinds- fleecy (super small bottle) and a no name brand. That was it. Chips are like 7 flavours and only Old Dutch and a couple humpty dumpty.  They had only a couple kindsof bread and lunch meat... I was really disappointed.

When we got up to the cash they clerk asked us if we found everything we were looking for and I told her no and asked why the store was so tiny and bare, she said the way it was explained to them was that it was a meat and potatoes store. The bare minimums. Now I can see why. They didn't even sell plum sauce haha. Most of their items are the No Name brand, but that is to be expected... So lesson learned, never shop there to do a full grocery, but its good if you need to stop in and pick up some potatoes or milk and thats about it..

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Would it be like running to the corner store if you're out if a few things only normal prices? I'm in LaSalle so I'll probably never go there, but the concept could work if it's pick up something there instead if it being overpriced at a corner store. Is that Q store still open on Dougall? Wasn't it like that?

#3 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

It sounds like aquick stop shop but itsa good looking location for astore like that cause there is not agrocery store very close

#4 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

Would it be like running to the corner store if you're out if a few things only normal prices? I'm in LaSalle so I'll probably never go there, but the concept could work if it's pick up something there instead if it being overpriced at a corner store. Is that Q store still open on Dougall? Wasn't it like that?

Yeah, kinda like that I guess. They have the basic staple items and nothing more... like I said, a meat and potatoes type place... I thought it was an actual grocery store til we walked in, saw 5 aisles and 4 or 5 cashiers...

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

It had decent things on sale, but definitely a small place.  She described it to me as a smaller version of No Frills.  Definitely don't go there if you are looking for anything outside of the box.  The produce they had was fresh, some organic available.. good prices.  Meat, I didn't even look at, because the selection was so small, and the prices fairly high.

I'm assuming they will continue to have pretty good specials of what they do sell.  I'll keep stopping in, it's bright and clean.. but definitely only for small needs.  I agree that it's a good location.  Not sure why they couldn't make it a full No Frills, though.. the building is huge!

#6 hismineours

hismineours

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I stopped there the other day and wasn't very impressed.  Have to put a $1 in the cart instead of  .25 and the first 3 things I had on my list, they didn't carry.  I guess it would be ok to run in for milk, but I won't ever go back there, not worth it to me,