5 replies to this topic

#1 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

I have a Piranha Puppy that wants to chew on everything .... fingers, toes, etc. We have a ton of rope toys for his teething, but the Little Sh!t can take apart the knots in no time flat. Plus I am afraid of the loose strings and him swallowing them. But those are his favorite toys and I they are easy for me to play with him.

I know rawhides are big no-no's, as well as a lot of other things like pig's ears, bully sticks, and such.

He doesn't like the Kong toys we bought him, so other than cutting off my husband hand for him to chew on (which I am tempted to do at this point), I need some ideas.

He is 16 weeks old, near as they could tell he is a Collie/Terrier mix (which we think short-haired terrier), but we won't know until we get the DNA testing in a bit.

I have thought about the bones with filling in them, but wasn't sure about that.

Moose, our Lab/Australian/Border Collie just looks at Ben and growls when he gets too close to his toys and YES, he does have his own toys and knows which ones they are - LOL ! ! !

Your thoughts and anyone else who has suggestions .... or wouldn't mind holding down my husband ... please chime in ! ! !

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

Chewing on people and chewing on other things are different subjects totally.

Look up "bite inhibition training" to help deal with his chewing on people. It is something that needs to be taken care of quickly. I have a hard time explaining in words how to do it. You need to yell "OUCH" quickly and ignore pup for a few seconds. Yet, do it so that they don't think you are playing. Think of what a pup will do in a litter if s/he is bitten to hard by another pup.

As for toys, just keep trying toys. Rawhide is OK supervised. I don't like them left with dogs though ever since I saw a pup nearly choke to death from a piece stuck in her throat. Just remember to watch for products made in china!

As for DNA testing. We had a few owners do some. It was a pure joke. One said that the 100lb (not fat!) dog had dachshund in it! I keep thinking I need to try it and see what it tells me for my dogs (I'd pick one that is 5 or 6 generations my own breeding too).

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:40 PM

Totally agree with above! Chewing on people needs to be nipped in the butt (no pun) so it doesn't become acceptable behavior in the dogs eyes. I too use the cry and ignore trick. It works! As for chewing, you just need to find a toy he likes. I've had tons of success with hurley toys (petsmart, petco), busy bones (petsmart) and those bottle stuff ducks ( you put a plastic bottle inside) which is great because no fluff :)

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:32 PM

We found some solid rubber bones at Old Navy of all places. Our dogs have had them for years and they are still a favorite.  Have you tried the Kong toys that you put treats or peanut butter inside? 

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:54 PM

I second the PB in the kong.. Alli loves hers!!

#6 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

Thanks for the tips, hints and suggestions ... heading to google now for that bite inhibition training. I yell "ow", which then makes my Moose look at Ben with a pretty "smile" because he is hurting the Mom - LOL. Can't cry because my Moose tries to console me and he is upwards of a 65 pound Lab ... while I appreciate his concern, I end up getting hurt - LOL.

Will be heading to the websites to find these toys, as I am willing to try just about anything.

Trea - Like you I watched a dog almost choke on a rawhide and that is why I don't use them. As well as the fact that some of the rawhide can get caught in the molars. Which happened to one of our other Labs and lead to a nice sized vet dental bill.

Thanks Again Ladies ...