#1 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Just wanted to share my story...
My dad passed away suddenly in April of this year. Because my dad consented to organ and tissue donation we were approached by the Trillium Gift Of Life Network. The only part of my dad they were able to use for organ donation were his eyes.My family and I received the most beautiful lettter from the Trillium gift of Life Network yesterday letting us know that because of his donation of sight, two people can now see. I hope whoever has them can "see" all the good in people, and the beauty in the small things just like my dad did.If you haven't done so already..please consider organ and tissue donation. Its not for everyone... I know because I was one of them. But having gone through this on a personal level, I can understand the importance of it, and how one selfless act can make all the difference to someone else.

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

Sorry about your father. What a beautiful gift, he gave. I'm sure the recipients are very thankful. I have signed my organ donor card since I was in my teens.

#3 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:45 PM

Organ donations are a beautiful gift and everyone should sign there card if they can it saves lives daily its wonderful your family was recognized for the good deed your father left behind I'm sorry for your loss

#4 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

I lost my g/f 14 years ago and she made sure prior to her passing that everyone who would (or wouldn't) listen knew her intentions to donate.

Because she did donate and the people who benefitted were kind enough to send cards, we now know that her liver was used for 3 people (2 were kids), her kidneys went to 2 people, her eyes went to 2 people, and her skin was used for grafting for surgeries.  I know that she is super happy that her Parents signed the papers even though they didn't personally believe they should.

A back story to one of the kids who received a live transfusion just happened to attend her older sister's church. So the family did know someone personally. The liver is still functioning for this young man.

#5 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

Got my card in the mail today I'll be filling it out

#6 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:31 PM

With my old car, I used to have the bumper sticker that reads something like Don't take your organs to heaven, Heaven knows we need them here on Earth. I need to find me another one of those so I can put it on the Hamster Mobile ! ! !

#7 momand2kidz

momand2kidz

Momand2kidz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for your replies!And thank-you for being donors!I just wanted to add that it is also very important to have conversations with your family members regarding organ and tissue donations. No one wants to have to have those conversations, but when the time comes to make those decisions after they pass, emotions are high. If you know where your loved one stands on the subject it makes things easier to deal with.

#8 Sandie

Sandie

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I'm sorry for the loss of your father and thank you for sharing such a heartwarming story. I've had my card signed for years and everyone in my family knows what my wishes are.