9 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

Would you still go to work if you were basically going to make less than $100 after you deducted all the costs incurred in order for you to go to work???

I started a new job. The pay is WAY below the norm, clear across town, so lots of driving and the hours overlap with my s/o's work and my dd's school schedule, so child care and possibly even public transport might need to be used because we currently have one car (I sold mine).  

My mother thinks Im absolutely insane to pay to work, but the experience and resume building opportunity is too great to pass up on.  This is a competitive market.

Did you weigh the costs when going back to work?   Would you take a job knowing that you wouldn't really be making much after all the deductions????

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:57 AM

I make about $115/day before taxes but after daycare and gas costs. After taxes probably well under $100. It's what we need to do to be able to afford the type of lifestyle we want however and I was definitely not cut out to stay at home. I need to work at least part time to keep me being me if that makes sense.

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:52 PM

It is really difficult to find a job these days that is worth going to if you have to figure in the types of expenses that you mentioned. You should also take into account your income taxes as well. If your income was $0 as as SAHM your new income may really affect your spouse's dependent deduction. If you are eligible it can also affect your Child Tax Benefit, Trillium pay, GST etc. It can result in $1000's of lost government benefits and extra income tax to pay. This is a huge flaw in our system for families who want/need a small or part-time second income, you try to get ahead a little bit but can put yourself in the red to go to work. 

On the other hand it is good experience, it gets you out of the house and will keep your resume from having a big gap in it. 

Good luck with your decision.

#4 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am on mat leave right now and I can't afford togo back towork but I also can't afford to stay at home its a lose/ lose situation I'm going to attempt a day care business to supplement some income and still stay at home with my babies :)

#5 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

We don't get any government benefits or credits, so that's not going to be affected. I really want to work, but I also don't want to mess with my s/o schedule. He makes triple my wage, so obviously we don't want to lose his hours to accomodate me. I'm struggling with the additional costs for after school care and the sheer amount of driving I will be doing, the gas is going to be very costly, even with our eco car. I hate that it's so stressful. all I've wanted for the last year is to work and now that
I am, the hours are not fitting and the money isn't adding up :(

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

I am someone who needs to work. I had a hard time doing it but, I found a job where I didn't need to pay daycare at all. That was lucky because I spend about 1/3 of my pay just in gas to go to work (LaSalle to Essex for 5hr shifts at minimum wage). I bring home around 150/week after all is said and done. BUT, every penny helps. When I wasn't working we were borrowing money from family to keep our heads above water. That extra helps us immensely.

As you know I'm not working in my field and there are just so few jobs for vet techs right now. The few that are available are those places who are "always" hiring because nobody stays long. Or they want me to work hours that don't fit my lifestyle (and one was an on call 24/7 with no "guaranteed" hours!). And almost unanimously pay is amazingly close to minimum wage!

I "could" be making more money is the point. Just a few months ago I turned down an interview at one of those places because of "cost" of working for them. I added the cost to my dignity and ethics also though as well as the loss of time with T as well as daycare. (it was 2pm-6pm 5 days a week). It didn't make sense for me to leave a job I'm comfortable at for one where I'd likely hate within a few months just to make a few more dollars a week and work in my field.

BUT, I have a lot of and, excellent, experience and in my field! I don't have to worry about gaining experience to find a decent job as a vet tech. I can be picky because I know that eventually, if I want, I can and will work at a good clinic again sometime.

#7 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Look at it this way..that $100 your making is going towards something. Mortgage, loan, bill etc. and it's $100 you didn't have before this. Besides, the work and experience will lead to bigger and better things. You have to start somewhere and if it was difficult for you to get this then I think you should take it.....especially if it is as competitive as you said. When I went back to work I was in a similar situation, in time  I was promoted, received a significant pay increase and now two of my 3 kids are in school full time so childcare isnt really an issue anymore, so for me it was worth it, even though there were times I would question why I went back, now I live the lifestyle I want with no sacrifices to myself or my family.

#8 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

Not sure why it went in as a quote,lol

#9 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

I've been trucking through it. I'm exhausted and my first two paychecks will cover the increase in child care which will go down significantly once dd starts school next week. I'm not looking forward to being on the move from 6am to 6pm+ everyday starting Monday and feel guilty that dd will get limited time with frowned zero time with daddy from now on, but I want to work and this is all that's available to me at pres time. Sacrifices to get where I want to be.

#10 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

It is a tough decision......but when you weight the pros and cons, it should be clear.  Some people just need work as a nice grown up break from being home with kids.  Or, to keep up with seniority, training, professional development, etc.  There will be some very hard days and LOTS of mommy-guilt, but hang in their.