10 replies to this topic

#1 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:38 PM

What do you all think of Costco... do you find your membership worth it? How often do you go? Do youlike the bulk buying or do you prefer to buy small quantities elsewhere?

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:17 PM

I like the unique items, especially kid's books. I like when I can share large quantities so that I can get a better variety of items. It is a hard place to shop when you have a limited budget.

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

It's worth it if you actually make use of it. I don't get out there nearly as often and I hate that they won't accept my credit card. Also we walk out spending so much on cases of things. At $10 per case let's say, it adds up quickly!

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

I use it for gas, pet food and specialty items and find it worth it for that. I'm not someone who buys bulk, so I seldom shop food items, but some of the sales for a large family in cereal, peanut butter and meat would be a huge savings. We are a family of three, so a giant box of Cheerios would go stale....lol I'm picky with produce and only shop or the local stand for that.

Edited by vals, 31 August 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

I miss my membership. I found I could "pay for it" just with the few things I do buy in larger quantities. Worcestershire sauce and real Vanilla are much less expensive there than anywhere else. On those 2 items alone, I probably save the membership fee in a year lol. I also wish I had it for Christmas shopping as I did a lot of my shopping there.

#6 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

I would get in USA if you

you save on the hst

and you can use at both side :)

also if you have friend get you a gift card 

you do not need to get one

(not sure if that part works in USA but it does in canada)

#7 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:06 PM

IMO USA is not worth it.. You compromise on quality that way!

Costco is awesome if you can afford it! Or even split the membership with a family member and go together!!

#8 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:16 AM

I love costco. I have a family of 5 so it is well worth it, especially the natural and organic items. As well as eggs and milk. Yes it is in bulk, but you can separate and freeze most items. My favourite thing is the Atlantic Wild Coho Salmon, I buy two, cut them into portion sizes, wrap and freeze. I go a minimum of twice a month,  and use it all the time for gas. I ahve also used my card in the states....the wine section/variety  is a nice feature and they have way better non food items but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

#9 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

Love my Costco membership.  Love it in the US too.  The quality for the US is still good in Costco.  And what I also like is if I buy something at the Costco in the US I can return it to the Canadian store.  Love their return policy.  You have to be very disciplined if you are on a budget.  I have learned to really not buy out of temptation.  There are some things you can get there that you cannot get anywhere else.  And propane refills are so much cheaper there too.

#10 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

I like what Costco has to offer, I just can't stand how busy it is, and how long you have to wait in line to check out.  I try to go at odd times when it's less busy.  Costco offers some great items at decent prices, their books are generally cheaper, they have some nice clothing at decent cost, and they have some unique items you can't find anywhere else.  We bought the membership that gives you cash back at the end of the year, if we receive enough back then it is worth the extra cost.  Will see how it works out at the end of our year.

#11 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:31 PM

Even though the closest Costco is now 1.5 hrs. away from me, I still get a membership every year.  I like their specialty items (huge packages of Kimchi soup, Ranch dressing, croutons, toys, book sets, etc.) and I love being able to shop on Costco.ca.  Last summer I bought a hammock online.  This summer I bought a gazebo for my back deck.  I've bought vitamins, a sewing machine, and plenty of other items at Costco online as well.

ETA:  Their prices on cat food and cat littler are excellent as well.

Edited by emmsmama, 06 November 2013 - 08:31 PM.