4 replies to this topic

#1 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:41 AM

I've now been driving a minivan for about 10yrs. I am tired of it. I have no reason no "need" a van anymore. But, the van is payed off. I really want a car. The van fulfills my current need for a vehicle to get me from point A to point B in a reliable manner. I won't spend more than 3000 over the trade-in value for my van so that I can pay off the loan in a year or less.

Here is my problem. I feel I am being selfish and impractical! Anyone who knows me knows I am so very rarely like that. I am 42yrs old and now I "want" a vehicle that fulfills some of my wants as well as my "needs". I work very hard and feel like I "deserve" to splurge on me a little, get something I want instead of just something I need. (The last thing I bought I wanted and didn't need was a pair of cute shoes that were on sale 40% off LOL).

I think a lot of my restlessness in this van comes from the fact that I have never had a vehicle for more than 4-5yrs. I'm on 4yrs with this van and staring at another 10 or so. I've always bought vehicles that were around 10yrs old for around $2000 and drove them until they were held together with "nothing but duct tape and wishes". That normally took 4-5yrs. I've never had a vehicle for as long as I'm looking at having this van. And I don't really like driving a van! At least I liked driving my cars I had before (an old chrysler boat, a cavalier, a buick skyhawk, a couple of k-cars, my fave was my skyhawk! a little 4banger engine but, with turbo and an "upgraded" interior!)

OK, again I started a small post to ask something and wrote a book....so WWYD??

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

You've never met me! I don't consider it selfish for one second to have a car that you want especially when you're talking about buying a used car. I'm on my 4th car in 11 years. 3 have been brand new. I know from your other posts your workin hard to be where you are and you sound like such a reasonable person. Let yourself have a little fun and like you said, it will still fulfill a need but make you feel good at the same time. And I can almost guarantee you'll be saving in gas.

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

You should do something for yourself. I am the same as you, I feel like I should only worry about my needs and feel guilty if I get something I want but it does feel good to do something for yourself once in a while. It doesn't sound like you plan on going overboard so go for it. I agree you will probably save in gas. We recently traded a jeep compass for a prius hybrid and just the savings in gas alone pays for the new car. 

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Get a car!!!!!  You deserve it, you work hard and if its something you truly want than go for it!!!  You might even find something thats better on gas and save a little money from the get go :)  

#5 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:17 AM

it is okay to want to do something for yourself! :) I say go for it.