15 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Help!!! School sent home a notice and of course dd has them. I just called the pharm and am going to get the shampoo. How do I go about fumigating the house and car? What do I need to do? I'm totally new to this. TIA

#2 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Rip off bedsheets, all blankets and wash them in HOT water. Stuffed animals and soft toys need to be bagged in garbage bags for 2 weeks. Vaccum all carpet and baseboards. Check the mattress as well and vacuum. I believe there is a powder you can buy for this, but not 100%. When I had it when I was younger the shampoos never worked (unless they are stronger, more effective now) she coated my head in vaseline as it suffocates the live bugs and the nits and kills them instantly. Dawn dish soap was used about 7 times to get the vaseline out, but I was lice free in a free hours. Good luck!

#3 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

first of all... deep breath... it really isn't the end of the world!! Sorry but I don't agree with Gillian... that's overkill and really not necessary! 

We dealt with lice at the beginning of August... off the hear, lice cannot live for more than 48 hours. They need blood to live, and they won't live on animals. 

The only way to really get rid of them completely is to get rid of the nits and it takes time and patience. Wash they're hair with regular shampoo. Apply a thick conditioner and leave it on their hair. This holds the lice in place. Take a comb and go through the hair until you've had at least a couple dozen strokes with no new bugs. Wash out the conditioner and have the child sit down and start pulling the eggs off the hair shaft.... repeat daily until you've had a full 7 days with no new nits/eggs. 

The other method to use is a hair dryer!!  Use it on the highest setting - not necessarily the hottest!! Section hair and blow each section (front and back) for at least 30 seconds each. Doing so dries out the egg, effectively killing it!! 

We used these combined methods. We did not do excessive amounts of laundry, and never touched the stuffed animals - and the lice & eggs were completely gone by day three!! 

Patience & Persistence!! 

ETA - found the link I was looking for

http://thenicelicela...-head-lice.html

Edited by cbarker78, 20 September 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#4 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

There was a site I was recently reading that talked about using a rinse of Listerine!! Wash it through the hair and keep it on for at least two hours, then comb out hair. It's the alcohol and a couple other ingredients in the mouth wash that destroys the eggs!! 

ETA... we also use a spray bottle with diluted tea tree oil every morning before school, and every Monday night is hair check night to make sure they're still gone! 

Edited by cbarker78, 20 September 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#5 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks guys. I've calmed down ( this is not good for a OCD germaphobe). I have all the linens striped and in the wash on hot as per the pharmacist suggestion. Better safe than sorry - thnx Gillian :) I used the stinky Nix and went comb crazy. I had to cut 3in off dd hair, because the comb was not going to pull through to effectively remove the nits. I'm not happy about that. My sister suggested keeping gel in the hair or something that smothers and prevents the bugs from grabbing on. She a hair dresser, but lice is not something she is overly familiar with. They dont allow cases in their salon. I'm debating calling lice squad? I'm not happy that we are losing $180 because my daughter cannot take part in her riding camp this weekend. I'm also not thrilled that it took the school until Friday to notify us. How often does this happen? I've just lost a Friday night to fumigating :(

#6 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

It seems like as soon as school starts, lice become an epidemic. My kids had it when they were younger. I found the lice shampoo didn't work very well, I was told that the lice are becoming immune to it (not sure if this is true) I did mix 1 cup of vinegar and 1 cup of mineral oil, pour it over her head and work it in, then tie a plastic bag on her head( I just used a grocery bag) let it sit all day if you can. Use Dawn soap to get the oil out, rinse and repeat a few times. The key is getting all of the eggs out, do small sections at a time, I found pulling them off with my fingernails was the most effective, combs don't get all of them. It's time consuming but necessary. We vacuumed everything, pillows and soft items can go in the dryer on high, I think for about an hour. Don't forget to do hair brushes and combs, wash them good and you can use boiling water to kill anything that might be left. Check her head daily for a while, then weekly and give her the talk about not sharing headgear or putting her head to close to other kids. Good luck!!

#7 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

I just checked dd hair and we are clear ( 2 hours of combing and picking paid off). I'm going to coat it with gel as suggested and check daily. My concern is reinfestation. Does the school monitor the situation? I cant send dd to school if she will keep bringing it home. I can't bring something like ths to work, nor do I want the hassle. I spent 6 hours total dealing with this last night :(

#8 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

The school will check her before she can return. Use some tea tree oil in your shampoo. I've used the tea tree oil shampoo from Arbonne in the past. They also don't like dyed hair so if you dye yours, you shouldn't have a problem.

#9 Neaser

Neaser

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I find the school system not that diligent with lice any more and with all the different language barriers the family cant read or understand the notice the schools dont have the health unit come in and check the school when some one is found to have lice just my opinion

#10 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

ds had them last year. I bought Quit Nits from shoppers. It is a natural product and it works awesome!  It also comes with a spray you use  in hair of everyone in house afterwards to keep lice away. I never went clean crazy. I just washed bedding and vacuumed matress

#11 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:51 PM

I have always washed bedding and bagged stuffed animals. I don't consider it over kill since there is the chance that if they are in the hair they are also in the sheets and stuffed animals they sleep with.. I am glad to hear you are lice free!! It is such a pain in the butt!!

#12 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

Ugghhh I remember this nightmare.  Also make sure you have your hair checked too.  I bagged stuffed animals.  Vacuumed furniture and mattresses.  Washed bedding and comb/brushes in hot water.  And also empty the vacuum cleaner.  As OCD as I am I totally understand the frustration.  Keep an eye as you want to make sure you broke the cycle.  I always used gel in hair...not tea tree oil.  Only got them 1x in all 3 boys...so far...lol.

#13 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

You know this has been on my mind daily since you posted right?? Thanks for that LOL

I usually put a few drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo and another with lavender oil and alternate them

#14 Alphabet_Soup

Alphabet_Soup

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Purchase a lice Meister comb!  And lice can live in water so washing is not necessary!   Dry heat kills the lice, so put everything in the dryer and vacuum where you can!   Headlice.org is a great webpage  

#15 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

We are lice free :) I caught it right away and acted fast. We are being proactive in trying to prevent it from coming home again, doing hair checks atthe door etc... Om so worried about being re-affected. It sucks! The Nix is great, kills eggs and live on contact :)

#16 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:47 PM

Glad you had good results!!