8 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

If both you and your spouse work full time how do you divide the household chores? Do you each have designated chores or do you both just work at whatever needs to be done?

#2 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

A little of column A. A little of column B. some things are "mine" or "his" and others we share or negotiate.

#3 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

He does what I can't do.  And the kids help out a lot too, considering I can't do much.

#4 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Hahahahahaha! What is this "sharing" you speak of???

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Hahahahahaha! What is this "sharing" you speak of???

I'm not sure. My husband's "to do" list is 3 years old and the only things crossed off are the things that I have done. LOL

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:50 AM

Dean is not great at sharing the duties. But, then again I suck at getting things done too. I'd rather sit outside with a book than dust or clean the bathroom. When we have a house showing he'll do a quick pass through the house but, other than that I do it or it doesn't get done. When I have him "clean" the kitchen after dinner all he does is put dishes in the dishwasher and, maybe, wash pots. No wiping the stove, counters or sinks. No straightening up, nothing else. So, I have basically told him that I'll clean up the kitchen too so it gets done half way decent lol.

I do make him take care of all the yard work though. Including most of the care of our 1acre garden. Our house is tiny so, when I get fed up with the cob webs and dust I can clean it in just a few hours. Problem is.....it is SO dusty that within one day it looks like I never do it! (thinking of having ducts cleaned, maybe that would help but, having a 800sq' house with a Husky, a cat and 3 people is likely more the culprit)

#7 teddybear

teddybear

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

I am home before my husband so I do a lot of the house cleaning and laundry and he keeps up with the yard work. I would say we do 50/50 most of the time.
When it comes to meals one of us cooks and the other cleans up, works great I think:)
Our kids are getting old enough now to help out, making their beds and taking dirty clothes to the laundry room and setting the table for meals.

#8 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

We sat down one day and made a chart, posted to the fridge and we have stuck to it.  Delegation of responsibilities were negotiated to make sure both felt it was fair.  There are just some things that one does better than the other.  The key is that if it is not your duty...don't feel compelled to do it for the other person.  The job has to wait.  And there needs to be flexibility in case the other is away (so you might have to trade from time to time).

ie/

I cook and he cleans

I pick weeds and he cuts grass

I do the grocery list and he gets the groceries

We all do our own laundry (I just help out he little ones)

#9 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Dh helps out when I ask and sometimes on his own.  I'd say the split is about 60/40.  My kids take turns doing the dishes and they keep their rooms tidy.