12 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:14 PM

So dd started j/k without any issues. She loves it! Loves her bus driver and comes home happy everyday, for which we are really pleased, however I have a few concerns and am wondering what's the norm.

First, dd comes home thilthy ( I means looks uncared for and black with dirt) everyday. She has also had three jackets go missing and they cannot be located? She comes home almost nightly with garbage or worse open, half drunk drink container that leak and make a huge mess in her backpack and also has been having "accidents" which is something knew. It seems as through there is not enough supervision for the 170 students in the two classes??? One thing I was particularly unhappy about was finding dd soiled clothes unrinsed with feces on them in an open plastic bag in her back pack - dd informed me that someone had pooped on the toilet and wall and she leaned in it, meaning it was another child's mess (this makes sense because dd does her bowel movements in the evening). Her pack reaked of urine and poop and I had to wash and air dry it.

Is this normal???

#2 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:08 PM

Occasionally C comes home still with dirty clothes. It all depends on what she did at recess. We've also lost numerous clothing items that have never been found :(.

As for the garbage in the lunch, it sounds like your daughter's school is a garbageless one which means they have to bring home any garbage they brought with them, which would mean the half drunk drink :(.

The poop thing just sounds disgusting to me. When C was really small she had an accident and they just put the pants in a plastic bag like you said, not rinsed either. I'm going to guess because that's "not their job". But they could have at least closed the bag the pants were in.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

dd j.k comes home filthy everyday. she plays in the sandbox and comes home covered. As for garbage a lot of schools use the boomerang program.  garbage is sent home to save schools money on disposal fees and also helps parents see what is not eaten to cut down waste.

I was upset today when dd came home smelling of poop. She did not wipe herself fully but was not given her spare underwear. I am sure they could smell it since i could

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yup lunch comes home open a lot

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

Guess Im lucky. These were all my fears but has not happened yet. Grace comes home cleaner and her hair more in tact than she ever did at daycare.

#6 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

OMG No! that is not normal! My kids never come home like that, my son has grass stains from playing outside but other then the occassional spill on clothing never anything else. I get phone calls if there is an accidental that is directly or indirectly to do with my child. Great school great teachers. My daughters hair elastic broke and they had extras in the class and fixed her hair for her. Really do love their school

#7 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

170 students for 2 classes... Am I the only one the finds that excessive? As for the garbage, I tihnk its normal. Noah comes home with garbage most days as well unless it can be recycled. As for the poop incident, that is disgusting and needs to be addressed. I get that accidents happen, but to not even remove the poop from her clothing sounds horrible. We have never had an issue with that. Hopefully things change for you.

#8 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sadly, I think they have too Many children and not enough help, but it's still no excuse. The clothing thing did not sit well with me and I since had a discussion with dd about ensuring the stall is clean before using it and telling an adult if it needs to be cleaned. They do have garbages, but I'm guessing again with such large classes, they simply cannot monitor all the kids at lunch and nutrition break. I'm hoping it gets better and tryingo not let my OCD cause an issue. I'm not good with mess, dirt and stains, even dd knows that mummy doesn't like messy clothes..lol. I think I expected more. We never had issues with pre-school, so I assumed this would be similar. I'm wondering what exactly the teacher and assistants roles are when it comes to the day to day activities of the children etc....

#9 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

tash go home that rule at my kids school

#10 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

If I recall from an earlier post of yours, I think I know the school you mean (if not, ignore this part) and from what I understand, there were initially 5 teachers and 4 ECE's in the room, which at some point soon, if not already, will be switched to 4 teachers, 4 ECE's and one separate room of 15 kids with 1 teacher so that should help a bit. There weren't tons of issue in there last year (I was there a lot) but there are larger numbers now and some new teachers and ECE's too. 

DD this year, in SK, has been coming home really dirty, lots of dirt and grass stains on her knees and even a hole in the knee of her capri pants.  Because she goes to an after-school program at her school, and they play outside in the same area as they do for school, when I pick her up, she's often crawling around the ground in a little playhouse they have or on the blackish playsurface so I can see why this is happening.  I guess it's good they're active and playing but I hate all the stains!  About the missing clothing, is her name on her stuff?  If yes, I'm sure they'll turn up at some point.  All our stuff is Mabel's-labelled and we've never really lost anything for long at school other than some mitts, gloves.

Teachers can only monitor bathroom stuff, like encourage a child to change into their spare clothes, stand outside the bathroom door and talk to them, tell them to put dirty stuff in a bag, etc.  Kindergarten is also about teaching independence so it would be encouraged for kids to do themselves as much as possible but I would think checking to see if they put the dirty stuff in a secure bag would be done if they knew about an accident.  ECE's I think can help out a bit more physically if needed. There's no way anyone's going to be rinsing out poopy underwear though as it's not daycare. I know once last year in JK, DD had poopy underwear in the bottom of her back pack, no bag (or it was an open bag) and I was horrified but that's obviously because she did it on her own (they had no ECE's last yr) and she had lots of accidents in the first part of the year.  I had to wash the backpack too.  It will probably take some time to adjust to bathroom routines of kindergarten and because there have been extra students too, that's less washrooms available when needed but more than the 1 that DD had last year.

You should talk to the teacher/ECE, esp regarding toiletting in case of accidents, and mention you would like more attention in this area, definitely some follow through of making sure a bag of clothes with an accident is securely tied up.  I don't know if that school is a garbageless lunch one (it wasn't last year), she may just be putting everything back in instead of taking it to the garbage so you should get some clarification about that.  Maybe you need to tell your DD to get an adult to help her close her juice container if needed so it doesn't leak in her bag (or just remind her to close it herself), or maybe you need another type of container that doesn't leak (Contigo ones are great, although I always send just water)?

Edited by chat_cath, 03 October 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

If I recall from an earlier post of yours, I think I know the school you mean (if not, ignore this part) and from what I understand, there were initially 5 teachers and 4 ECE's in the room, which at some point soon, if not already, will be switched to 4 teachers, 4 ECE's and one separate room of 15 kids with 1 teacher so that should help a bit. There weren't tons of issue in there last year (I was there a lot) but there are larger numbers now and some new teachers and ECE's too. 

DD this year, in SK, has been coming home really dirty, lots of dirt and grass stains on her knees and even a hole in the knee of her capri pants.  Because she goes to an after-school program at her school, and they play outside in the same area as they do for school, when I pick her up, she's often crawling around the ground in a little playhouse they have or on the blackish playsurface so I can see why this is happening.  I guess it's good they're active and playing but I hate all the stains!  About the missing clothing, is her name on her stuff?  If yes, I'm sure they'll turn up at some point.  All our stuff is Mabel's-labelled and we've never really lost anything for long at school other than some mitts, gloves.

Teachers can only monitor bathroom stuff, like encourage a child to change into their spare clothes, stand outside the bathroom door and talk to them, tell them to put dirty stuff in a bag, etc.  Kindergarten is also about teaching independence so it would be encouraged for kids to do themselves as much as possible but I would think checking to see if they put the dirty stuff in a secure bag would be done if they knew about an accident.  ECE's I think can help out a bit more physically if needed. There's no way anyone's going to be rinsing out poopy underwear though as it's not daycare. I know once last year in JK, DD had poopy underwear in the bottom of her back pack, no bag (or it was an open bag) and I was horrified but that's obviously because she did it on her own (they had no ECE's last yr) and she had lots of accidents in the first part of the year.  I had to wash the backpack too.  It will probably take some time to adjust to bathroom routines of kindergarten and because there have been extra students too, that's less washrooms available when needed but more than the 1 that DD had last year.

You should talk to the teacher/ECE, esp regarding toiletting in case of accidents, and mention you would like more attention in this area, definitely some follow through of making sure a bag of clothes with an accident is securely tied up.  I don't know if that school is a garbageless lunch one (it wasn't last year), she may just be putting everything back in instead of taking it to the garbage so you should get some clarification about that.  Maybe you need to tell your DD to get an adult to help her close her juice container if needed so it doesn't leak in her bag (or just remind her to close it herself), or maybe you need another type of container that doesn't leak (Contigo ones are great, although I always send just water)?

Thank you. It's a tough transition for dd. she came from a very structured per-school with lots of educational activities and crafts. Since starting j/k her speech has regressed, she is having accidents twice a day and we have noticed that she has nothing to report home at the end of the day, which is sad, because she always had lts to report while in pre-school. I'm very concerned that the class size is going to negatively impact her progress and while I don't want to move her to another school, I will if I feel she is not getting anything from her current situation. With the current class size there is roughly 1 teacher and 1 assistant per 40 students which is insane! I'm gong to send a note to school Monday, voice my concerns and ask what can be done on our end.

#12 moonlightblonde

moonlightblonde

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

170 in two classes? We have about that in the whole school! My dd is one of 15 in hers. I don't expect her to come home clean but the poop thing is horrible. She gets filthy at home too. I consider it a bad day if she stays looking perfect. Paint, colouring, sand, dirt, etc. are part of a normal day.

#13 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Messy/dirty clothes don't bother me because it means kids had fun playing outside.  I tell my daycare parents not to send their little ones in outfits they want kept pristine because we play outside every day and I let them get dirty, though I obviously wash faces and hands and if they get wet and mucky then I change them into their spare clothes.

Litterless lunches are normal too.

I would be peeved about the poop issue though.  I get that they can't wash out clothes, but they should make sure soiled clothes are in a well-tied bag.  I'd also be upset about the fact that it was another child's poop.  I've had a couple times where a little one has a poop blowout at my house, but even with having several little ones around I always manage to get things cleaned up without another child getting into someone else's poop!