9 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Have you turned your heat on yet? My gas fireplace has come on a couple of times but I always wait to turn the furnace on until it gets pretty cold and then I set it at about 68 degrees. There have been a couple of winters where I have just used the fireplace because it has been so mild. Any tips for keeping your house toasty without blowing the budget?

#2 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:07 AM

Mine has been on for awhile now. We don't really care about what month it is, if we are cold, we turn the heat on. Melanie's room is freezing at night and she won't keep blankets on, so my house is set at 72 all the time.

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

We moved just over a week ago. It's been on since we moved it. A couple days were too warm during the day but freezing at night. With young kids we just suck up the cost and make it comfortable. We used to see how long we could wait before turning on the a/c, but not now.

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

yes we did :)

#5 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

turned it on to take the chill out then back off

#6 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I turned on the heat in the basement foru da who sleeps down there. I have a space heather on on my room for my daughter since she likes to sleep in just underwear. I don't turn on the heat on our main floor as we have baseboard and it is a bill sucker. Between cooking in the kitchen and the heater In My room the main floor stays pretty warm

#7 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

Off and on for awhile now. I've had the heat on one day and the A/C the next! I hate to be cold but, can't sleep it if is warm and, I can't leave my windows open when I'm home because it is just too noisy!

#8 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

It's been on for a coupe weeks set to 68 at night and 65 in the day when no one is home. I've only heard it click on a couple times the past couple nights though. We usually use the fire on colder nights, I just havent gotten around to getting a a coupe cords of wood yet.

#9 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:51 PM

DH prepared the furnace today.  We turned it on and set it for what we keep it at.  I have though had my portable heaters  on for a few days now as I can't have it chilly.

#10 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 12:38 PM

We turned on the heat about 2 weeks ago when the temp in the house got to 60, but since I rent an older home, the walls are thicker, so the temp is at 64.

My Oldest's room has a drafty window that Hubby is fixing this weekend, but back in Detroit, our old house had radiator heat and drafty windows, with kids who moved the entire night, thereby meanging the blankets were on the floor. So in deperation, I put them in sleeping bags and they stay covered ~ YEAH ! ! !