20 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

Seriously! I'm so over school. It's not at all what I expected. I feel as though dd is learning nothing. When she was at pre-school she came home with crafts all the time and spoke about the days events, now she brings home big pieces of folded up paper with her name and has nothing to report. I'm also ridiculously irritated by the sheer amount of clothing I've thrown out because it was stained with non washable paint or marker, not to mention the two lost sweaters and two missing pairs of NEW shoes, one that were worn to school that day for the first time. I mean seriously, if your kid brings something home that isn't theirs you send it back. We are talking over $100 in lost/damaged clothes. Im just tired of it! Is this the norm? Is jk suppose to be this stressful for the parents and completely useless for the child? I honestly feel guilty sending my child to school everyday and wonder if the kids aren't all just running a muck? I just don't know what to do anymore? I don't want to uproot my child, but I also want to know what the hell goes on at this school? My child should not IMO come home looking like a street bigger everyday, missing clothing and telling me she does "nothing" all day. So frustrating!!!!

** sorry, I know ive complained about jk situations before, but this seriously bothers me **

Edited by vals, 24 October 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

I would consider switching schools honestly. Graces experience has been nothing like this. She's ruined one pair of tights when she fell and put a hole in the knee that's it. She came home with a super cute thanksgiving craft and lots of stuff of her learning to write her name and numbers. I know Addys way ahead of that but I'm finding our school vending over backwards to get Grace the help she needs.

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Is this the school you wanted to send her to or did you end up with a school in your district?

#4 babybumpkins

babybumpkins

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:08 AM

IM HAVING THAT ISSUSE WITH SK!  They switched all the classes around like 3 times, n now my daughter is in a small class which was suppose to b sooo much better..more one on one..She had more homework in Jk then now! My daughter comes home with nothing!!!!. I have went out and bought alll kinds of kindergarden exercise books to do with her to keep her caught up cause my fear is if this conts there is noooooo way she will b ready for grade 1!. Im sooo bringing this up at pt interviews!!!!!!!

#5 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

What school is she at?? If it is the one I think, I have not heard very good stories from there honestly.

Nora started this year and we have had no issues- nothing ruined or stained and loves school.

I will say though that at this age and for another year or so- you won't get much feedback from the child. I think that is fairly common for the child so say they didn't learn anything or do anything that day. Nate was like that as well. I wouldn't worry about that part at all.

I don't know- I really like our new school. SO much happier for ds and myself. But if you are looking for school to mold and shape your child- that won't necessarily happen. Especially if your child is not fitting into their 'box'.

Edited by Lasergirl, 25 October 2013 - 07:43 AM.

#6 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

you have to al so remeber she only a kid

she learning other stuff 

to have fun and play

in JK.SK they play learn

just do not send hight cost closeing choths 

2nd hand cool clothes are the best

#7 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

This is sadly the school I wanted, but I think the enrollment was just too high? They should seriously tell parents they overcrowd classes while you are signing up to avoid this. I understand that we are dealing with 4-5 year odds, but my daughter got more from per-school. Nothing seems planned or structured, it's like they throw 150+ kids in a room with several learning centers and let them go wild. As for clothes, normal spills and dirt is one thing, but I'm not about to send my kid to class looking like a rag bag. There should not be this amount of loss or damage IMO. I can wait for parent teacher night. I want to know what the hell goes on and why my child has gone from well spoken and polite ( this kid writes/types her name, knew the alphabet written/verbal and numbers) to a child who seems miserable and has severely regressed since September. Even my mum and sister can't beleive how unfocused and withdrawn she is becoming. Anyone who knows her sees the difference. I thought jk/sk was different. When did it become 24/7 playtime with zero learning, crafts or anything remotely educational for that matter?

#8 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

they chnage it when they went all day everyday

so far each kid knotice a big different in school in grade 1 

from leanring play to Learning 

#9 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:19 PM

Seriously 150+ kids in a room, that is outrageous. They must be packed in like sardines even if they are in a large room. How is it possible for teachers to keep things under control with a workload like that? I have heard that JK is mostly for playtime and to get the kids to learn to socialize but there should also be structure where the kids are doing the same thing at the same time, not everyone running wild. I really think that lots of kids are too young to go to school all day, some are only 3 years old when they start JK. Just curious, how many teachers do they have for that amount of kids?

#10 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I think it is more play based learning. But I know dd does crafts and sings songs. She doesn't come out and tell me, but I hear here rattle off numbers and letters. I see her mimick teacher stuff- like reading to the class and following along. I hear her singing the songs.

I personally would be looking at another school- but that's just my opinion.

#11 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

I totally get play based learning, but I should be seeing some shred of what she is learning at this point. These teachers are paid to educate, so I expect more than babysitting to be taking place. I'm looking into other schools already, I don't want to uproot my kid mid way through, but I'm also not willing to watch her fall behind due to poor planning and lack of structure. I'm really just boggled at his point! Is unecessary stress to worry everyday that my child is enjoying school and getting something out other today.

#12 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Do you think the second language has something to do with why she's not telling what they did? Has she spoken any French or sang songs, etc. yet at home? It may just be part of a learning curve because of that. And are the classrooms just open concept between a few rooms. There really should be about 30 students to one teacher and one ECE. There are caps they have to have followed by reorganization day. What happens after that (kids coming or going) doesn't matter.

#13 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

We are a bilingual home, so the language isn't an issue. She sometimes repeats things in French she learned at school, but doesn't relay the day like she did with preschool. She did tell me when a boy hit her this week and about deer in the field (first thing I ever heard aout school from her). The class is a big open room with a 3 stall washroom area in the center and play centers set up all around. I can't picture 100+ children in that area, but it must work? From what I understand it's 40 children per 1 teacher and 1 ECE?

#14 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

I can't see them allowing those numbers unless 10 more kids per class weren't enrolled until after the second week of school. Although, I've heard of some pretty wonky numbers at times because sometimes it's allowed to go by a board average. I don't know if kindergarten has a mandatory provincial cap, but primary grades do. The junior and intermediate classes' caps are set by the board.

#15 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

I would switch to a smaller school if possible.. I feel like little ones get so lost in the shuffle when it's over crowded.

This is not at all what my kids' experiences looked like..

#16 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:06 PM

I was told there is no cap in kindergarten in Ontario which is really sad IMO. It's such an important time to set the foundation for learning and you cannot do that when you are overcrowded. I beleive the recommended number at that age was 21 student per teacher for optimal learning. I'm trying to be understanding, but also want what's bet for my child. At the moment I'm trying to do additional lessons at home and using Pinterest to get good seasonal craft ideas so we can in the very least progress at home.

#17 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

We have 30-35 students per class one teacher and one ece per class.

#18 Supermel

Supermel

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,782 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

My dd had 20 children in her class in JK. She bonded with the teacher on day one, went every other day and was a content and well adjusted child. We did realize by October we needed to back up bedtime a bit and that helped with the grumpies. SK was a different story. She was sick all the time and did not want to go. She never gelled with the teacher or ECE and there was 29 kids in the class. If I had to re-do it, I would probably only have sent her half time even though it was full day learning.

I would suggest finding a smaller class size. Or pulling her from JK and find a smaller classs size that is every other day for SK.

My girls have never been big on telling me much about school. I have had to do little things- like ask her to tell me one child's name the next day.. or see if anyone has pony tails like her, or  tell me if anyone else had a granola bar etc.. those small questions got a little bit out of them.

We have only lost one hooded sweatshirt in all our years in school. My dd is in grade 7. We have had holes in knees but no paint stains at all. Perhaps you could send in a clear dish soap and ask if the teacher could mix it in with the powder paint to help with stains? I do that here in my daycare and only the brown still stains (I use it VERY rarely and strip clothes lol). That many lost items would have me asking questions.

I would request a meeting with the teacher. Meet the teacher night can be set up differently at different schools but most times you either get 5-10 minutes and they are running very late or you meet the teacher in the room with 5 other families and the teacher is a centre that you stop at (child led conferences). If you are upset, I would go in NOW, in a private meeting or phone call and talk to the teacher and not wait for 3-4 more weeks.

Good luck!

#19 Keegsmama

Keegsmama

pfffffft

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,033 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Sofie has 22 students in her class with 1 to 2 EAs plus a co-op student. 40 with only 1 teacher and 1 EA is crazy to me. 

#20 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:23 PM

That is way too many kids in a class. My dd has 15 kids 1 teacher and a ECE. She comes home dirty but not overly so. Mostly sand. No lost or ruined thing as of yet. She tells me all about her day everyday. But my hold loves to talk lol. She brought home paintings and crafts. They have gone apple picking. She now spells out her name and writes it. Writes a lot of numbers and letters and has some word recognition. I think a new smaller school is best. Our school only has about 400 kids and I find both my kids are excelling there

#21 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

I wouldn't be concerned about dirty/messy clothes, but I would be concerned about the class size and the regression in behavior.  Unfortunately, even if they are following ratios of children:teachers, it sounds like because it is open concept that there are way too many children in the room for proper learning and supervision to take place.

If it was my child, I would pull them.  It'd be different if she said she loved school, but it sounds like her behavior and her learning are moving backwards and even if you talk with the teachers, if there are 150+ children in one room, even if there are 5-7 teachers and ECEs that is still A LOT of children for one room.