12 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

At what age should kids stop trick or treating? My daughter is 17 and said she was going but now she has to work instead. 

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

i think there no age really

you dress up you get candy

does help if you bring a few kids with you :)

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Grade 8. When you have a job you can afford to buy your own.

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Grade 8. When you have a job you can afford to buy your own.

I told her to go the day after Halloween and get her candy half price.

#5 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yup. Grade 8 ( and that's pushing it these days). I find the older kids often ruin it for the little ones being allowed out unchaperoned after dark with big mouths, offensive costumes and foul language.

#6 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

I find that unfair, not all older kids are like that.

I think that if the kids are respectable and taking part properly they should be able to until 16-18 if they want too.

Technically speaking kids with allowances are capable of buying their own candy, should they not go ToT?

I didn't have my first job until 18, nor did I have an allowance, so it's unfair to assume that all kids in high school can buy their own.

#7 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

I dont put an age. My ds will be gr 8 next year. He will want to go out. He might be older but he functions 3yrs below his age. he has been hasseled for being older and getting really excited and bumping into kids. He always makes sure kids are oky. He is not trying to be mean. Not fair for people to say kids are too old when they dont know the child

#8 suejw

suejw

member since march 2003

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

I think if the person put some effort in to a costume and is respectful of the younger kids out trick or treating, then the age shouldn't be such a big deal. My 13 year old is so excited to go this year, he thought last year he was ready to give up trick or treating and opted to go to his cadet meeting instead, and afterwards he was so disappointed he didn't go out. So he's got his costume ready and he's going tonight. Kids are still kids, even when they are teens, and some older kids still love all the holidays and traditions that go along with them, same as we do as adults.

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

The year you decide putting actual effort into something is too much of a bother.

#10 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

I stopped in grade 10, I think. I really don't care how old the kids are.. Even if those kids are technically adults , lol. If they want to make the effort I'll give them a piece of candy.

I would probably deny a rude teen, but otherwise I really couldn't care less. Ppl take life way too seriously sometimes! It's for fun!!

Edited by Jill, 06 November 2013 - 10:26 AM.

#11 Cowboy From Hell

Cowboy From Hell

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:18 PM

Absolutely agree with Jill. It shouldn't be about who can afford what. It shouldn't be all about the candy. Stop handing out candy at all if you are going to act like Scrooge.

#12 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

I don't care about the age as long as they are polite and have made an effort to dress up.

#13 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

When we were about 17 we would wait until about 8 then the girls would show some cleavage and we'd all go out in costume. We usually got great results!