5 replies to this topic

#1 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

He drinks his urine WHILE he is peeing. He also cleans up if he has an accident in the house.

I have read that he could be drinking his urine because he is thirsty, but he has fresh water in the house at all times.

I also read that it could be something linked with the fact that he was in a Shelter when he was very little, but he was brought up from that Shelter when he was a couple weeks old, so he was still feeding off of Mom until the move.

Just curious if anyone else has experience with this .... Thanks

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

It's nice that you have such a tidy dog however that doesn't sound healthy. When our dog had puppies she always ate their waste but I have never heard of a dog eating their own.

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:58 PM

I think I heard somewhere it is bacuse of a missing nutrient or vitamin?

#4 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:43 PM

It is usually a "cleanliness" thing. If he is only doing it in the house then try to not react to it at all. Just get him outside ASAP. If he is having accidents in the house then you need to keep a better eye on him. Get him out more often, on leash, and praise him for going potty outside. The way to "break" him of it if he is doing it outside is to have him on leash to go potty. Talk to him while he is doing his buisness, trying to distract him from cleaning it up while not distracting him from his business.

It could be because he was in a shelter. Often they just don't get outside enough and learn to keep their sleeping area clean. Cleaning up after themselves becomes habit. They can also learn it from mom if she keeps cleaning up after them once they are weaned. It is natural for a mom to clean up after the pups. It starts at birth when they need to stimulate the pups to urinate and deficate by licking thier abdomens. It then continues while they are nursing so that mom can keep the "den" clean.

I have never had a dog drink their urine while going. I've had some that will do it with other dogs (as well as catching bms as they are produced ICK!). I have heard of it though. I'm not really sure what you can do about it. Like I said breaking of it is quite touchy while he is still house training. It is a fine line between discouraging his doing a gross behaviour and discouraging the appropriate behaviour of going potty outside.

As for whether it is healthy for him or not....I wouldn't worry about it. Urine is a sterile solution and should cause him no harm. Coprophagia (eating bms) is common in dogs actually. There are things you can do to make the fecal matter taste bad. Using MSG on the food seems to work well. Some people swear by pineapple or pumpking, my issue with those is that you need to feed so much that, for a pup especially, it can unbalance the diet.

HTH!

I doubt it is a deficiency of some sort. Even the worst foods out there have all the "basic" nutrients they need. But, if he does have a biologial problem that stops the absorption of some nutrient then, it is possible.

#5 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks Trea ~ He is having accidents in the house and I know this is because we have to walk him to the backyard and the others in the house are not being vigilant on watching his cues.

It is not a problem, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that I should be picking up on. I do notice that when I am standing there, he will start, I will make a noise, and he will stop. The big issue is when he cleans it off the floor in the house. As we use the Swiffer Jet and I am afraid of the chemicals from that Swiffer. I am contacting the Vet today to find out if just vinegar water would be okay to use to clean the floor but not hurt the dog.

He is fed Purina One for Sensitive Stomach and Skin. So I know that they are getting their vitamins and nutrients. I had read that as well, which got me to ask the question here.

Thankfully, no poopy heating here ~ yet. Our other dog, Patches, would eat Moose's poop. I had also read about pineapple juice, but never tried it. The problem with that is Patches also ate the bunny poop and developed some parasite or bacteria from eating that.

Thanks Again Ladies .... I will keep you updated with the Ongoing Saga of Ben ~ LOL ! ! ! 

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

Vinegar is not ideal for cleaning pet messes. Get a cleaner specific for pet messes the enzymes in it will get rid of the urine smell, even for the dog. Dogs tend to go in places that smell like "bathroom" to them. Vinegar can mimic that smell, ammonia is even worse since it is the ammonia in urine. Don't worry too much about the chemicals. I doubt he is ingesting enough to hurt him.