13 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

If someone dropped by without notice would your house be acceptable to invite them in without embarrassment? How long would it take you to be ready?

I am not usually ready without notice, it's not bad but not what I consider visitor ready.  I like at least 10 minutes notice, it's amazing how much I get done in 10 minutes.  I can usually do a quick vacuum (I have 3 shedding dogs) and do any dishes that may be laying around and wipe down the bathroom.

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

Not really. My house is always dusty, no matter how often I dust. If I dust right now, by tonight it would be dusty again. I also have dishes in my sink much of the time. I don't care so much though, if someone doesn't like it they don't have to come over lol.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

No. Our home is more cluttered than I would like and my 4 year old can distroy a house in 2 minutes flat.

#4 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:24 PM

Sometimes... But 10min usually makes it presentable I don't usually touch thetoy area having 2 kids makes it unacceptable not to have toys out lol and my bedroom is the dumping grounds if something needs tobe dealt with it goes in my room to be dealt with after and thedoor gets shut as for my main living area I keep it pretty tidy I get a lot of "drop in" neighbors...

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

No. Our home is more cluttered than I would like and my 4 year old can distroy a house in 2 minutes flat.

How come what they can destroy in 2 minutes takes hours to clean up?? I could never figure that out. LOL

#6 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

My house is always "visitor ready". I dry dust the floors daily, makes beds as soon as people are out of them and can't stand dishes in the sink, so I do them as they are used. dd is use to mommies need for clean and does a great job keeping her toys in her room and putting things away after using them. It's possibly the only positive thing about having OCD....lol

#7 LoveMyKids2

LoveMyKids2

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

That depends...if i am home it is always visitor ready, if I am at work all day and my husband is home with the kids...never. Three kids can do a lot in a short amount of time, and daddy doesnt really say much(as long as it isn't dirty ie food and or dirt on floors, messy bathroom etc) he mainly just lets it get cluttered with toys everywhere.

#8 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Not as much as I would like. There is usually dishes in the sink and toys all over the living room

#9 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

I have only 1 week and 17 hours before I have company and my house still have boxes all over it from when we moved into the house in April, so NO, my house is NOT "company ready".

Thankfully, DH said he would help make them "presentable" before they come for a visit, so I am still frantic, but not as much. At our house in Michigan, I had such a long house, with such a big basement, that the majority of my "clutter" aka shit was in the basement.

Thankfully with the house, the boys' have doors to their rooms, so I can close those. Now if could only get the fur-kids to pick up their toys - LOL ! ! !

#10 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:09 PM

I have only 1 week and 17 hours before I have company and my house still have boxes all over it from when we moved into the house in April, so NO, my house is NOT "company ready".

Thankfully, DH said he would help make them "presentable" before they come for a visit, so I am still frantic, but not as much. At our house in Michigan, I had such a long house, with such a big basement, that the majority of my "clutter" aka shit was in the basement.

Thankfully with the house, the boys' have doors to their rooms, so I can close those. Now if could only get the fur-kids to pick up their toys - LOL ! ! !

I am coming to see you not your clutter aka shit, don't fuss over it. Everytime you have seen my house it is right after the Mom2Mom sale and I have 50 bins of stuff in my livingroom. My mom taught her dog to clean up her toys she picks them all up and puts them in her toybox, she also brings my dad his paper and mail every morning and his slippers lol.

#11 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 06:30 PM

OMG ~ There would be NO paper left if we were to ask Ben to bring it and if we asked Moose to bring the slippers .... well let's just say that DH would have to change his socks from all the drool in the slippers ~ LOL ! ! !

As for the 50 boxes, never seen them and that was after a major event .... mine is because I am super ADD/OCD and become overwhelmed. I have to clean in sections and stick to a clock. Just have to set the clock one weekend ....

#12 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Pretty much. My house is usually always superficially clean, but don't look too close! lol. Preferably a good 10 minutes notice would be nice!

#13 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Depends who it is. Some combination of papers, toys and laundry will always be around (but nothing 15 can't fix). Since moving in our new house though, the dust is quite ridiculous.

#14 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

My house is usually visitor-ready, but sometimes I'm not lol.