#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

From CTV news

"A Manitoba mother was shocked to learn that she had been fined $10 by her daycare for not packing a ‘balanced’ lunch for her children.

Kristen Bartkiw, a mother of three from Rossburn Man., thought she had sent her children to daycare with a nutritional lunch consisting of leftover roast beef, potatoes, carrots, an orange and milk.

When her children, five-year-old Logan and three-year-old Natalie, returned home from Little Cub’s Den daycare, she found a note from daycare staff informing Bartkiw that she had failed to pack grains in her children’s lunch. The note said staff had given her children Ritz crackers as a supplement.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.c...3#ixzz2lCmZUtxf

Really roast beef, potatoes, carrots, an orange and milk had to be supplemented with Ritz Crackers. I think the daycare should have been fined for thinking that crackers are a healthy choice to add to that meal. 

#2 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

This teLly made me angry! That was a very good lunch. Air better than what some kids eat. Ritz crackers are not a healthy grain. They should know this if they insist on balanced meals. What about kids with allergies or SPD or who are just plain picky ?

#3 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Ritz crackers are processed garbage IMO, I would lose it in this type of situation.  That lunch was very healthy and while it lacked a grain, whats to say the kids didn't have whole wheat toast or bran cereal for breakfast???   The food pyramid gives a guideline of how much of each group should be consumed throughout the day.  You don't need all of them at every meal. APPALLING!!!!!

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:28 PM

I agree it is appalling!!! The fact that the mom had given the kids a great well balanced meal only to have it supplemented with Ritz crackers is what blows me away. The daycare is now providing the meals for the kids. I wonder what they serve.... ritz crackers, spam, orange jello and ice cream, there you have it all 4 food groups  ;)