5 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

I need a couple of ideas for a hostess gift. I am going to Wisconsin to visit Moosemom and my BIL & SIL for Thanksgiving, they only live about 40 miles apart. We are having dinner at the inlaws Thanksgiving day so I won't have a chance to contribute to the meal but would like to bring a small gift. I need something that is not too big, and not breakable since it will be packed in my luggage. You guys are always great with creative ideas, hope you can help :) TIA

See you in a week Moosemom!!!

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

I like bringing a bottle of wine with me to dinners, unless of course its a dry house, then I bring cookies or some sort of after dinner with coffee type sack or I offer to make dessert, which is not suitable in this situation.  Gift cards to a movie or restaurant are always a nice "thank you".  

#3 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

OMG ... There are so many stores in the area that I could buy local and you won't have to bring it with you.

If the In-Laws don't mind driving into Green Bay, Vals suggestion of gift cards isn't too bad.

You could offer to bring dessert. There is Perkins and their pies are the best. Here are their Holiday Pies: http://www.perkinsre...om/specials-185

Hubby is having me order the Red Velvet Silk Cake Pie. I can order it, pick it up, and have it for you at the Bus Stop.

If you wanted to do an Edible Arrangement, they are open from 8am to Noon on Thursday: http://www.ediblearr...?CategoryID=283

ONE WEEK and 17 hours ! ! !

#4 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

Forgot to mention ... if you buy something there, don't carry it in your luggage to get broken. Package it up and mail it to me. I can bring the package to the Bus Stop that day.

I did that the first time I came back to Detroit and fly home. I mailed all the Bake Sale stuff to my Aunt and then picked it up from her. That way all I had to worry about was my carry-on backpack.

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:05 PM

I like bringing a bottle of wine with me to dinners, unless of course its a dry house, then I bring cookies or some sort of after dinner with coffee type sack or I offer to make dessert, which is not suitable in this situation.  Gift cards to a movie or restaurant are always a nice "thank you".  

Those are great ideas, I picked up a nice little package with cookies at costco. It looks well wrapped and it should fit in my carry on bag. I like the wine idea too but not sure if I would have an opportunity to get some as we are going on Thanksgiving day. These are definitely some ideas that I will use over the holidays

OMG ... There are so many stores in the area that I could buy local and you won't have to bring it with you.

If the In-Laws don't mind driving into Green Bay, Vals suggestion of gift cards isn't too bad.

You could offer to bring dessert. There is Perkins and their pies are the best. Here are their Holiday Pies: http://www.perkinsre...om/specials-185

Hubby is having me order the Red Velvet Silk Cake Pie. I can order it, pick it up, and have it for you at the Bus Stop.

If you wanted to do an Edible Arrangement, they are open from 8am to Noon on Thursday: http://www.ediblearr...?CategoryID=283

ONE WEEK and 17 hours ! ! !

I have to say you are the sweetest!!! If you are already going to Perkins maybe I will have you pick up a pie if you don't mind. I will email you :) Thank you!!

#6 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

You should be able to pack wine. We packed multiple bottles of liquor on our way to Romania (with a plane change) and it was fine.