21 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

So my work wants me to come back asap after the bub arrives  (three to six month range).  Anyway, I wanted to be proactive and figure out what my fees for childcare would look like and if I go back to work early (as requested) my take home PER MONTH after daycare will be $80.  You did read that correctly.  EIGHTY DOLLARS!!!!!!!

After dd, I was lucky because my mum was able to care for her while I worked until we put her in pre-school which was not as costly as infant care.  This time I don't have that option.

I don't even know what to do????

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:25 PM

If they want you back that quickly you must be a huge asset to them. Have you considered explaining to your boss that day care is more expensive for an infant and maybe ask for a raise to help out with those expenses? They have to understand that you are giving up time with your children to help them out and could be making more on mat leave.

#3 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

They legally have to hold your job for you. If it's not doable, it's just not.

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

that what i was thinking  EI Mat Leave is 52 wks 

or somthing like that 

by law you have every right to take it 

#5 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:54 PM

I know I can take a full mat leave, but they wanted me back sooner, which I didn't mind until I realized how much it would cost.  My s/o told me not to worry about it now and enjoy my full year just being mum, but I feel bad if I don't go back, especially due to a crap wage which won't cover my childcare costs.  I fought for so long to find work in my field and now that I found it feel like I might have to give it up :(

#6 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

i agree with him 

why put the stress of you family going back early if you do not need to

and it coast more in the end

#7 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:36 AM

Did you try the in home day cares like WeeWatch, it might be less expensive or maybe even internationalnannies.com? It's a shame that daycare is so expensive that people can't afford to work. 

#8 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:23 AM

I know I can take a full mat leave, but they wanted me back sooner, which I didn't mind until I realized how much it would cost.  My s/o told me not to worry about it now and enjoy my full year just being mum, but I feel bad if I don't go back, especially due to a crap wage which won't cover my childcare costs.  I fought for so long to find work in my field and now that I found it feel like I might have to give it up :(

Why would you have to give it up if they have to legally hold it for you?

#9 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

Why would you have to give it up if they have to legally hold it for you?

I was hired for something rather specific within the clinic in addition to my regular tasks.  The other employee can't do this work, so they want me to come back asap once I have the bub so they don't have to re-train a new person for all this work and then let them go after a year.  I feel like Ive let them down.  I don't even know how to go about this.  

#10 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

really its not your issue to worrie about they have get someone temp for the year thats all

they should not make you feel guily

family comes 1st in my books

Edited by sims, 24 November 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#11 one_new_mom

one_new_mom

Just getting started

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

While I can appreciate that you must be an asset to them, how awful of them to ask you to come back sooner and even put you in this predicament!  Are any of these people not parents?  Do they not realize you only get one imprortant year to begin with, and now they want to have you return sooner?

Sorry you have been put in this situation  :(

#12 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

If you go back early, you are working to pay for daycare and thats crazy... You are giving up that first year for them. I went back after 4 months with Noah but I am taking the full year with this little guy.. I am losing $400 a month being off work and getting EI but its worth it to stay home.

You know what is best for your family. I agree about asking for a raise, hopefully they can do that for you...

#13 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

If you go back early, you are working to pay for daycare and thats crazy... You are giving up that first year for them. I went back after 4 months with Noah but I am taking the full year with this little guy.. I am losing $400 a month being off work and getting EI but its worth it to stay home.

You know what is best for your family. I agree about asking for a raise, hopefully they can do that for you...

Congration on the the birth of you baby boy

#14 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:25 AM

Ya, I wouldn't do it.  I get the position you're in but honestly, the only way I'd even consider missing out on my new baby's first moments is if they made me an offer that I can't refuse. 

#15 Michaels Mommy

Michaels Mommy

New Kid on the Block

• Forum Administrator
  • Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

I wouldn't give up my year I love being the witness to their first everything :) your job will be waiting when your year is done they have to give it back to you! Good luck and congrats!

#16 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

They can ask but you don't have to agree.  Hope you can negotiate.

#17 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I wouldn't give up the year with my baby, but if you are considering going back, I would say to only do it if they are going to give you a *significant* raise to make it actually worth your time.  $80/mth. is definitely not worth your time and it's not worth you losing that time with your baby either.

#18 vals

vals

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:42 PM

So as of now I have been given the green light to hire and train a temp (likely student) to cover my mat leave so I wont have to stress. It's a huge relief to know I can go back when I'm ready :)

#19 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:37 AM

YAY time off for you and baby

good job

#20 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

Great news! (Although it shouldn't have been an issue, but at least it helps YOU feel better about it)

#21 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

That's wonderful!! 

#22 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

Awesome...thanks so much for posting an update!