34 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I just saw that the new aquatic centre downtown has set admission prices. Do you think they are fair or too high?

Click here to see prices

#2 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

The link doesn't work for me

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

The link doesn't work for me

http://www.citywinds...ssion-Fees.aspx

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

I don't think they're bad at all. I'd take the baby. It would cost me $15 for an all day activity. Not bad at all. Taking the whole family in a weekend would cost $44. Find me another all day activity for a family that would cost less than that. Even going to Colosantis that is "free" ends up costing much more than that by the time you pay for rides and games without even factoring in lunch.

#5 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

Colasantis is so ridiculous now!! I'd much rather spend the money to go to the pool, for sure!!

I don't think it's too expensive for a special activity.

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

Total agreement Jill.

#7 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:07 PM

I doubt we'll ever go - it would cost my family $90 on a weekend day (which would be the only time we really could go) - I'd rather pay a little bit more and go to Great Wolf.

Edited by Ginger333, 26 November 2013 - 03:13 PM.

#8 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

I doubt we'll ever go - it would cost my family $90 on a weekend day (which would be the only time we really could go) - I'd rather pay a little bit more and go to Great Wolf.

Same here....

The thing that really bugs me is the price is determined on height - we are a very tall family, my 8 y/o daughter is already 5'0" tall and wears a women's size 8 shoe - and is not done growing!!  so she would be charged the adult rate... ah hell, my 5 year old would charged the adult rate too and that just really bites the big one!! 

#9 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

When it comes to adult vs kids rate. Be grateful they (and most other places) offer kids rates. That child is a body in the building. The building is rated for X number of people. They could just charge a flat rate per person entering the building instead of going through the trouble of estimating adult vs child entrants per day and what will cover operating costs.

This is a point I have to remind myself of on a regular basis. We are lucky places charge less for kids. They don't have to.

#10 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

do not for get to add $5 for parking

its not free 

#11 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

It's not a normal pool though. I don't get why people are so upset about the prices. They were bound to be more than the public pools, they are considered a water park. We will probably go to check it out, but it won't be a regular thing.

#12 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

well if i go the oldest ones once a year it should be ok 

but not weekends not wort it

#13 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

I totally get that it's not just a pool! I just think that when Great Wolf/Kalahari offers a room and water park passes for $99/night it's money better spent ... especially for those families spending what we would be to get in (just my two cents).

Edited by Ginger333, 26 November 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#14 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

When does kalahari have $99 specials? Cheapest I've found so far is $450/weekend

#15 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Unfortunately they are supposed to be closing down the Adie Knox and Water World in that area which are the less expensive alternatives. While it looks like there are a lot of great activities, it might be out of the budget for lots of families. There are lots of lower income neighborhoods in the area where the new center is.

#16 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

That's quite a difference in the resident vs. non-resident pricing (for the ones I could see loaded on my phone). I realize the Windsor residents' taxes went into it, but a $5 per person difference (I can see the Mon-Fri one only)?? So a family of 4 living just outside Windsor will pay $20 more. I don't like that part of it.

#17 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

I think they're looking more so at tourists for those prices. The difference really isn't that much. I know when we went to Disney, a Florida resident paid $40 for a day pass while we paid $87

#18 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

When does kalahari have $99 specials? Cheapest I've found so far is $450/weekend

This!!

Posted Yesterday, 08:19 PM
I totally get that it's not just a pool! I just think that when Great Wolf/Kalahari offers a room and water park passes for $99/night it's money better spent ... especially for those families spending what we would be to get in (just my two cents).

Oh I agree, it will cost us $60 to get in on a weekend. I'm kind of interested to see what they put in there, like if it's worth it or if it's just like Water World with an extra slide.

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 27 November 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#19 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Jenn/Jen - You need to get on their e-mail list - they'll send out specials, I just got the $99 one last week or so for Kalahari ... Great Wolf's 48 hour sale is coming up next week, I got that one a couple days ago.

I still have the e-mails if you want me to forward them.

Edited by Ginger333, 27 November 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#20 Lasergirl

Lasergirl

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Unfortunately they are supposed to be closing down the Adie Knox and Water World in that area which are the less expensive alternatives. While it looks like there are a lot of great activities, it might be out of the budget for lots of families. There are lots of lower income neighborhoods in the area where the new center is.

Exactly!!

#21 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:47 AM

Jenn/Jen - You need to get on their e-mail list - they'll send out specials, I just got the $99 one last week or so for Kalahari ... Great Wolf's 48 hour sale is coming up next week, I got that one a couple days ago.

I still have the e-mails if you want me to forward them.

Please!! Jenniebean13@msn.com I've been wanting to take Grace. I've heard gwl ohio is dirty :/ but kalahari is nice.

#22 Ginger333

Ginger333

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

We love Great Wolf Ohio - I wouldn't say it's dirty at all! We've been half a dozen times and every time it's been clean and friendly and we've had fun.

#23 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

new name posted http://windsorite.ca...ficially-named/  ‘Adventure Bay Family Water Park

#24 Kelly

Kelly

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:48 PM

Try this site out the girl at work recommended it
http://www.kalaharifamilynights.com/

#25 Jill

Jill

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,944 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

You can spend all day there for 15$ per person.. That's not that much, IMO.. I'll find street parking and walk- I do it all the time already because I hate paying to park! lol
When you factor in gas, travel costs for food, etc, it's really a lot more expensive to go to gwl. This is much more affordable for a day time activity.

We will most definitely be checking this out!!

#26 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

FB page 

keep your eye of deals to like groupon

https://www.facebook...FamilyWaterPark

#27 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the link! I was also hoping they might have a rate for infants. That's a little steep for a 4 month old. lol

#28 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:52 PM

prices are very reasobäle for a indoor water park. I will for sure that the kids. We dont drive so not like we can get to GWL or Kalahari without paying  lot

#29 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Has anyone checked the new water park out yet? Is it worth the price of admission?

#30 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

I've heard it was but that was from a Windsor resident. I really think they are shooting themselves in the foot with non-resident pricing. I get that Windsor people pay Windsor taxes, but county people support the city too and might visit on a regular basis instead of a rare outing if the prices were the same.

#31 chat_cath

chat_cath

Habit Forming

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

I've heard it was but that was from a Windsor resident. I really think they are shooting themselves in the foot with non-resident pricing. I get that Windsor people pay Windsor taxes, but county people support the city too and might visit on a regular basis instead of a rare outing if the prices were the same.

So it does exclude other Essex county residents.  I had been wondering that as I just read a bit in the paper and I didn't know for sure.  If we have to travel in/pay gas from the county plus pay more, that's a disincentive.  

Kind of hard to interpret those price charts but I think it looks like for a Sat or Sun, it would be $70 for my family of 4 which includes a 2 & 5 year old.  Pricey!  And I'm sure you're going to have to spend money on snacks/at least one meal out (esp if not from Windsor).  Maybe if my kids were older?  I like the idea better of going away somewhere with water activities, even just Pelee Inn in Leamington which is good enough for us right now.  

It would be less for a "Windsor family", but there are certainly many, many families that will not be able to go ever because of the cost, which is really unfortunate as it is a city water park, not a privately run for profit place.

Edited by chat_cath, 23 January 2014 - 10:22 PM.

#32 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:35 PM

So it does exclude other Essex county residents.  I had been wondering that as I just read a bit in the paper and I didn't know for sure.  If we have to travel in/pay gas from the county plus pay more, that's a disincentive.  

Kind of hard to interpret those price charts but I think it looks like for a Sat or Sun, it would be $70 for my family of 4 which includes a 2 & 5 year old.  Pricey!  And I'm sure you're going to have to spend money on snacks/at least one meal out (esp if not from Windsor).  Maybe if my kids were older?  I like the idea better of going away somewhere with water activities, even just Pelee Inn in Leamington which is good enough for us right now.  

It would be less for a "Windsor family", but there are certainly many, many families that will not be able to go ever because of the cost, which is really unfortunate as it is a city water park, not a privately run for profit place.

I'm not 100% sure but that's how I'm interpreting it.

#33 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:38 AM

From everything I have read, it sounds like Windsor residents save $5 off of admission if you have proof of residency. I agree it's not the best idea if they are trying to attract tourists. I have heard from a few people that not all of the attractions are open during the day when the rates are a little cheaper. Admission isn't the only cost, there is also a water cannon attraction listed on their site which is an extra $6 per person, it will cost you to park while you are there and as you mentioned food and gas. This can easily cost upwards of $200 for the day for an average family. Sadly, most people I know won't be able to afford to bring their families. Since it is a city facility, in a city where there is a lot of unemployment and low paying jobs, they should have took that into consideration when setting prices. Many hard working families have paid taxes to build the place but can't afford to enjoy it.

Vollmer is a much more affordable option, a family of 5 can go for less than $20. How is it that a small town like LaSalle can build a nice facility and still make it affordable. I understand their water park doesn't have as much as Adventure Bay but it still has the wave pool, lazy river, spa, slide and sauna.

#34 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

A friend of ours took their family and they are even checking ID's to make sure you are from Windsor.

For our family, this new waterpark isn't worth it. $70 + food + parking + gas, and for 2/4 of us to just sit in the pool? As a family we will continue to go to the Volmer centre.

DH might take our oldest so they can be there all day and try everything. 

#35 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

My girls are all excited about this. We are doing swim lessons at the new Aquatic centre so they've seen the new Water Park when we're coming and going.... Even with what I've seen through the window I'm not really impressed for how much we would have to pay to get in.  My kids are young, but tall... so they could 'technically' be able to use the big slides, but I don't think they'd be able to handle the 'scare' (higher speeds, drops...) 

Overall I've got to say I am NOT impressed at all! For lessons in the big pool it's far too crowded with too many people/classes all going on at the same time... the Windsor Essex Swim Team practices the same night we're there so there's a bunch of teens dropping their bags in front of the change rooms and being far too loud in the shower area. I get stressed and frustrated every time we go (and it's only been twice so far). I can't wait for this session to end. I will not be enrolling there again!!