#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:07 PM

To send kids to school?

Today it was was -19 at 11am and tomorrow's high is going to be -40.

Do you plan on sending your children to school?

I'm thinking dd will be home again. I don't feel it's safe to be outdoors walking to and from the bus stop in this kind of cold snap.

Edited by vals, 06 January 2014 - 05:08 PM.

#2 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 06:34 PM

Vals ~ I am sorry about sending you our cold weather ! ! !

Our schools here in Green Bay were closed today and will be closed tomorrow. Our actual temps today were no warmer than -22 with the wind chill between -44 and -50. I hate to see what tonight will bring ....

From what I understand, there a guideline for a District to follow. I have heard so many different stories on how many inches fo snow to what degree of temp they call, but no matter what they always state "you can call in your child for an excused absence if you feel that the weather conditions" blah, blah, blah.

I know when I started my car this morning, I could have swore I heard it sputter "B!TCH" ~ LOL

#3 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:26 PM

My daughter has to take a city bus to school and has a fairly long walk just to get to the bus, then she has to wait outside for an unreliable transfer. When the weather is extreme she usually stays home since I don't have a car available to drive her. Do the Windsor schools ever close, even if the school buses aren't running? It seems no matter how bad the roads or how cold it is they are always open. The University and college were closed this morning but little kids are expected to be at school, makes no sense.

#4 jenny

jenny

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,498 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Mine will be home again tomorrow!  And I'm ok with that.  YAY for another jammie day!

#5 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:31 AM

Windsor schools have closed very, very few times and it's been many years since they have. I always remember it being for extreme amounts of snow and not just cold. That being said, London schools almost never close and they were completely closed yesterday. My friends reported 1 kid, 5 kids, maybe up to 15 kids in a class but enrollment was really low yesterday, even for a snow day. I imagine it being really low if schools stay open tomorrow, but I really hope they cancel it. The heating is so inconsistent at my school. I imagine they are all huddling at the warm end of the building (I joke, but not really). Western, Fanshawe, and some high schools have already announced they are closed tomorrow. I really hope everyone follows suit. What are they trying to achieve by staying open?

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

Windsor schools never close. It's stupid. The entire French catholic board is closed all the way to Bruce county but Windsor Essex is open

#7 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

I feel for the kiddies who were dragged out in this mess. My car coughed to a start this morning and I let it run for 15 mins before leaving. It's still going to be -22 tomorrow morning, so I might keep dd one more day until the temps regulate. It's too cold for bus stops!

#8 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Not sure really. T didn't go to school because busses were cancelled and the majority of the students are bussed. Knowing less than half the school would be there my ex kept him home.

#9 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

We're attempting tomorrow. While it's still damn cold out there, I can let my dog out without my face covered and be able to breathe. We should be able to stand the walk to school but they should let the kids inside right away

#10 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:26 PM

DW drove the kids in to school today. Kids go to school all through northern Ontario, Manitoba, and the rest of Canada and it's significantly colder there. Dress for the weather.

#11 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Kids go to school all through northern Ontario, Manitoba, and the rest of Canada and it's significantly colder there. Dress for the weather.

We are just not used to the extreme cold. It's the same with the snow, when we get more than a few inches the city shuts down. For most places in Canada the weather we have had over the past few days is the everyday norm so they just suck it up and go on their way. We are spoiled with our normally "tropical" climate.

#12 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:02 PM

We not only are not used to it but, we don't prepare for it. We don't have the same outer wear on hand and we don't have the same infrastructure in place. I am pretty sure kids in Manitoba don't wait outside for 20min in an unsheltered area, on unplowed streets for their bus. They also have easier access to good winter outerwear. Most will have warmer coats, snowpants and boots. When was the last time you bought boots good for snowmobiling? Even finding good winter boots (ones good for 40below or even lower) is hard here and, why would we bother to buy ones for lower temps when we don't usually get that kind of weather? They have a much higher budget for snow removal as well as the equipment to accomplish the job.

#13 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

I'm, not buying it. Most of us may not have gear on hand for an Antarctic expedition, but between long underwear, scarves and snow pants I'm pretty sure most people can handle 20 minutes outdoors.

We may not have the snow cleared as quickly but amazingly the vast majority of people still managed to get to work on Monday. It was extra work and took extra time, but they did what they had to do.

#14 creative mama

creative mama

No turning back now

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

I grew up just outside of Sudbury in a small subdivision which was almost never plowed and, while this is going back a few years, not only did we have to walk to school, but they also shoved us outside when it was near blizzard conditions.  You don't need to have special outerwear to survive the cold snap - you dress in a few layers plus snowpants and a jacket.  Schools don't let the kids outside when it's cold - today was the first morning all week that they've been outside - and if you send them along with a sweater, they'll be fine once inside. 

THAT said, I was one of the parents who chose to keep her kid at home on Monday and Tuesday.  Monday was a mess and my car was stuck in the snow - there's no way we would have gotten out of the alley in my little sunfire.  I work for myself at home, so keeping him home wasn't a big deal.  Turns out, with less than 1/3 of the school there, there wasn't much to be missed.  Honestly, I would have brought him in on Tuesday if they hadn't canceled the buses.  I spoke with the principal and she expected even fewer students than Monday, so there wasn't going to be much to be missed again.