6 replies to this topic

#1 erinsboys

erinsboys

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Can you use over the counter polysporin pink eye drops on a dog?

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Do you know for sure that's what it is? There are a number of eye issues that present with those symptoms. One of our cats is prone to conjunctivitis and requires drops to correct it or it gets pretty nasty. We have used the poly ointment in the past under the vets direction, but that's only because the cat was diagnosed almost 10 years ago and has yearly flare ups. It's worth a try, but if would hit the vets for a full diagnosis if it worsens.

#3 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

NOOOOO.....Never, every home treat an eye issue. Eye issues can lead to blindness if treated incorrectly. There are many different reasons for "pink eye" in a dog and they require specific treatments.

#4 erinsboys

erinsboys

New Kid on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

OK, I havent done anything, just watching him.  He had runny eyes last night.  I would always take him to the vet for a diagnosis, but I don't always think you have to pay vet prices for treatments.  Just wanted to know if they are the same drugs.  Thanks for your help Ladies : )  Today, his eyes are ok, so I will just keep an eye on him.

#5 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

OK, I havent done anything, just watching him.  He had runny eyes last night.  I would always take him to the vet for a diagnosis, but I don't always think you have to pay vet prices for treatments.  Just wanted to know if they are the same drugs.  Thanks for your help Ladies : )  Today, his eyes are ok, so I will just keep an eye on him.

Why wouldn't you pay vet prices for treatments? I don't understand.

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Jen, sometimes you can get a comparable human drug for less. The problem is that they are often different products and, the human one has never been approved for animals. Sometimes things like the carrying agent is different which can make the product react differently than what the animal preparation of that product does.  Big pharmacies can get things at greater discounts than vets can so, they can charge less sometimes. I have never found a huge difference in price for most of the common medications though.

#7 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

Jen, sometimes you can get a comparable human drug for less. The problem is that they are often different products and, the human one has never been approved for animals. Sometimes things like the carrying agent is different which can make the product react differently than what the animal preparation of that product does.  Big pharmacies can get things at greater discounts than vets can so, they can charge less sometimes. I have never found a huge difference in price for most of the common medications though.

Ah thanks for the clear up!