8 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Do you take your children out of school for vacations or do you plan around the school year? Has your child's school ever given you a hard time for taking them out? Have you changed your plans?

I only had a problem one time, my kids were in grade school and we took them out for a couple of weeks to go to Florida. I went to the school to let them know the kids would be absent and get some homework to help them keep up. The principal got involved and gave me a huge hassle telling me I could get in trouble for letting my kids be truant. I took them anyway and nothing happened but they did give me a hard time.

#2 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

We did last year
It's was only going to be for a few days true out to be a week

#3 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

My ds goes to Florida every year for week to visit his great grand parents in February. We are lucky our school never had an issue with it. Even if they did it wouldn't stop me from letting him go

#4 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Grace will be missing the last week of March to go visit Mickey. The school can kiss my butt if they have a problem with it lol

#5 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:40 PM

Technically, I've been told that we (teachers) are not responsible for providing any work for vacations. If your child gets work it's either the teacher being nice or who doesn't know. I have sent work in the past, but I am interested in finding out what is actually written somewhere. I usually go pretty easy though, like write a journal and assign the amount of math I think we'll cover.

#6 cbarker78

cbarker78

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

When I was younger, my dad would take my sister and I out of school for an extra week at March Break. My brothers already had two weeks. Each time we would have homework to do during the week that we should have been in school. In the younger grades it's usually a lot easier. By the time I hit high school I was no longer able to go the extra week because of exams :( 

#7 emmsmama

emmsmama

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,787 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

I homeschooled previously, so it was never an issue, but I've been wondering about this if we decide to go to Florida this December.  I really want to, but dd will be in Gr. 10 at that point and ds will be in Gr. 7 and I don't know how hard that will be for them.  I prefer to go the first two weeks of Dec. when crowds are lowest, but I might have to do the week before their Christmas break starts and then the first week of their Christmas break and then they would only miss one week.

#8 tabbs

tabbs

Plotting a takeover

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,304 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I really try hard not to do this, however we have pulled them out for 2-3 days for a mini vacation that straddled over a PD and a weekend.

#9 Gillian

Gillian

Mom to beautiful little Noah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

No issue here. We took him out for a few days in November, and we are going to Disney  in April this year with no issues from the school.