6 replies to this topic

#1 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

My cat is no small cat. At his last vet appointment he weighed 19 lbs. He is currently on Royal Canin Adult S/o, and the vet told me to give him the smallest portion for his size to get him to lose weight(he's very active). 

We started doing that right away, but throughout the day he would start crying for food. DH will give in and give him more. It's been months and he is back up to probably the largest portion for his size and he is constantly screaming for food. If we still don't give him anything, he goes looking for leftover dog food to eat. He woke me up twice last night scratching at my door for food - and I had just fed him before I went to bed.

My first thought would have been some type of parasite, but he's never lost weight, only gained. I don't remember that being typical with parasites? So of course now my mind is wandering to worst case scenarios. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 02 February 2014 - 08:53 AM.

#2 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Try splitting the small portion so he has more meals. I'm also wondering why that food? Is he prone to urinary issues? One of the diet food or low calorie from the Royal brand would have made more sense?

#3 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

Try splitting the small portion so he has more meals. I'm also wondering why that food? Is he prone to urinary issues? One of the diet food or low calorie from the Royal brand would have made more sense?

We already split it up so he is eating 4x a day :(.

He was on that food when we got him, and truth be told I'm afraid to take him off of it. The way my luck works he will get develop a stone.

#4 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

Did you try cutting his meals down just a little bit instead of going right to the lowest portion? Maybe he wouldn't notice a little bit at a time.

#5 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Did you try cutting his meals down just a little bit instead of going right to the lowest portion? Maybe he wouldn't notice a little bit at a time.

He's probably eating the most he ever has atm because DH felt bad. 

Edited by Jen.Uh.Fur, 02 February 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#6 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Remind DH that cats who get overweight get problems with their skin because they can't groom properly. They are much more prone to becoming constipated and having anal sac impaction. They live much shorter lives, develop arthritis earlier, have problems using their litter box because of that arthritis. They have other joint problems so have problems moving. They have heart and breathing problems also.

Measure out the amount of food he should get in the day every morning. When he starts asking for food give him only a few pieces at a time. Instead of feeding him meals, feed him even more times a day, just keep his daily amount at what he should be eating (this is how my cat eats. Her food is measured out in the morning and she gets 12 pieces or so multiple times a day)

another thing, instead of cutting down to the lowest amount all at once try cutting it down a little weekly until he is down to where he should be.  As long as you keep him on a high quality food, then trying him on a "diet" food should be ok also.

Hide his food from DH if he refuses to comply! Remind him he is literally loving the cat to death!

I've had to talk to my BF about his feeding of both the animals lately. Both have gotten overweight and both are showing some issues because of it. He still feels badly that our animals always seem hungry but, he felt even worse when I told him he was literally killing our pets! Our dog has knee problems and was starting to hurt a lot. The cat was already starting to not want to get into her litter box because it was too much effort. Neither was more than 10% overweight either. My cat gets just under 1/3 cup of food a day, the dog gets 1.5 cups (40lb husky)

Edited by Trea, 02 February 2014 - 05:28 PM.

#7 Jen.Uh.Fur

Jen.Uh.Fur

Hopelessly devoted

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Remind DH that cats who get overweight get problems with their skin because they can't groom properly. They are much more prone to becoming constipated and having anal sac impaction. They live much shorter lives, develop arthritis earlier, have problems using their litter box because of that arthritis. They have other joint problems so have problems moving. They have heart and breathing problems also.

Measure out the amount of food he should get in the day every morning. When he starts asking for food give him only a few pieces at a time. Instead of feeding him meals, feed him even more times a day, just keep his daily amount at what he should be eating (this is how my cat eats. Her food is measured out in the morning and she gets 12 pieces or so multiple times a day)

another thing, instead of cutting down to the lowest amount all at once try cutting it down a little weekly until he is down to where he should be.  As long as you keep him on a high quality food, then trying him on a "diet" food should be ok also.

Hide his food from DH if he refuses to comply! Remind him he is literally loving the cat to death!

I've had to talk to my BF about his feeding of both the animals lately. Both have gotten overweight and both are showing some issues because of it. He still feels badly that our animals always seem hungry but, he felt even worse when I told him he was literally killing our pets! Our dog has knee problems and was starting to hurt a lot. The cat was already starting to not want to get into her litter box because it was too much effort. Neither was more than 10% overweight either. My cat gets just under 1/3 cup of food a day, the dog gets 1.5 cups (40lb husky)

Thank you! I will tell him and follow your tips!