4 replies to this topic

#1 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

I have been using the following recipe for the past year on my dogs for fleas and ticks, so far it has worked. 

In a spray bottle mix:

8oz. of apple cider vinegar

4 oz. of warm water

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda

I usually spray them down about once a week during flea season. 

I also found a recipe on line for homemade dog shampoo, it is supposed to be good for fleas and ticks. I haven't tried it yet but will give it a try for their next bath.

Mix:

1/4 cup of blue Dawn dish soap

1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar

1/2 cup of warm water

Once you put the shampoo on your dog it says to leave it for 5 minutes and  rinse thouroghly

#2 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

Had somebody in last week who uses that first recipe for flea control. Dog had fleas.

Unfornately I find the only thing that keeps ticks off my dog is pesticides. I use a preventix collar. I don't worry too much about fleas because I don't live in a "high flea burden" area.

I know a few people who swear by the natural preventions though.

The shampoo is great for general bathing! I've used a recipe simiar myself.

#3 moosemom

moosemom

Not going anywhere soon ! ! !

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Well I just had the biggest shock of my life .... we just found a tick on Ben our Terrier Pup ~ this thing was huge ! ! !  Thought that ticks were small, but the Vet said that when they suck the blood that is when they become big. I did get the ass off of him, however, the head is still in him. The Vet said that he is dead and Ben's body will push him out, but it is just mind blowing how big this thing was. I didn't think we could get ticks in the City with little to no grass, but the Vet said that they can be found every where.

The stuff at the Vet's is like $120 for both dogs, so I might check on line to see if this stuff works for ticks too

#4 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

can you use this on cats too?

#5 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:03 PM

can you use this on cats too?

I don't see why not there isn't anything harmful in it.

I should have mentioned that my dogs are not in the grass very much, they are inside pets and they have a stone area where they go outside. I'm not sure if it would be effective if they were out rolling in the grass or near wooded areas on a regular basis.