11 replies to this topic

#1 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

What do your kids look like whey they get off the bus/picked up? You might remember I asked earlier in the school year about losing stuff, well it got worse.

dd is in jk and comes home filthy and completely disheveled every single day. Today she was covered in paint ( which is the norm of late), hair pulled out and wild, gym shoes on and covered in mud. Her backpack was destroyed the first month, we've had to toss hundreds of dollars worth of clothing due to paint stains that DON'T come out, even with pre-treatment. I basically can't take her off the bus or even pick her up at school for appointments because she needs a bath before we can go anywhere. It seems extreme. Is this the norm or am I right to be peeved by this?

#2 LisaP

LisaP

Thoroughly addicted

• Forum Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

My kids are older but I don't remember them coming home looking like that. The school should be using washable paint and if the playground is muddy they should send the kids to an area where it isn't muddy or fix the problem. If you sent your kid to school looking like that everyday I'm sure that they would have something to say about it. Have you talked to other parents in your daughter's class to see if they have the same problem?

#3 mom2nico

mom2nico

No turning back now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:54 PM

Have you talked to the teacher? That's definitely not the norm.

#4 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:31 PM

normal for my kids to home like that

after all rain its going to be muddy

show she like to play

#5 Trea

Trea

M2M member since Sept 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

My ODS was like that. The teacher just could not keep up with him and all the other kids in the class. He liked to "explore" and was super impulsive about it. I never worried about if paint washed out or not. You got paint on it, you wear it. (though I don't specifically remember it not washing out, I do remember not being able to afford new clothes just because something was stained). If it was muddy at school the teacher saying "don't go play there, play over here" did no good. He headed straight for the biggest puddle he could find. I can't remember how many times I had to take him clothes because he got so soaked. (we even tried the natrual concequences "you got wet, you stay wet" approach, no luck)

With YDS I think he's come home dirty/wet maybe a dozen times since he started JK, he's in grade 5 now and has had many of the same teachers ODS had.

Talk to the other parents, talk to the teacher.

#6 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

Grace never comes home looking the way I sent her, but with that child, I certainly don't expect her to lol I can always tell when I've done her hair really good that day because it'll still look somewhat like what it did in the morning. She doesn't usually come home filthy, but signs of play - nothing has ever been ruined. I'm just starting to notice signs of wear on her backpack which I don't think is too bad 8ish months in. 

#7 vals

vals

Proud member since September 2008

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

I've addressed the issue before, but it seems even worse now. I get "minor" wear, marks and stains, but daily destruction seems much? I know the teachers are overwhelmed by a large class size and understand how stressful it just be, but dd's appearance screams "lack of supervision" and that bugs me. I honestly don't have time to address this again and furthermore feel like a nag, but am seriously considering switching schools next year.

#8 Mama2Gracie

Mama2Gracie

So in love with my saving Grace

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,329 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

we love st edmond ;)

#9 Kris

Kris

Plotting a takeover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,533 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

My dd is in jk and she does not come home like that. She comes home with a little paint or dirt on her but nothing destroyed. She comes home pretty much clean but her school is small only like 20 kids in the class so they have more time. Also they are very ontop of the kids about washing up. Outside they have a gated area so they do not have access to muddy areas.

#10 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

My girls would come home with holes in their knees. When asked about it they explained they were playing "puppies".

#11 Outnumbered

Outnumbered

Hopelessly devoted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,146 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

My girls would come home with holes in their knees. When asked about it they explained they were playing "puppies".

#12 sims

sims

team murky waters

• Forum Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,511 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:24 AM

LOVE